• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plate Compactors - What to buy?

thirdcoaster

Occupation
Slumlord
I will be needing a 24" plate compactor (hoepac) for an upcoming project. We will be prepping for residential foundations. It will be mounted to a 580 Super M.

Are there any brands/models that are preferred, or maybe more importantly, brands to avoid?

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
We have a Allied 8700 Ho-Pac, current model is now called the 1000. Works great and a very common brand around here. Only problem we have had was a bearing went out for the counter weight about a year ago, and was a easy fix and not too bad for being 10 years old.

Is you machine already plumbed for a ho-pac or breaker? I got the kit for ours from Allied also, and was a lot cheaper than what the JD dealer wanted.

Allied Construction Products
http://www.alliedcp.com/

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
We have had great success with Allied also it would be the one I would recommend. If your machine is not plumbed you may also want to check out Burlington Installations. They are the approved manufacturer for Case. http://www.burlingtoninstallation.com/
On the allied packers some still have a small pipe plug on the motor near the bearing side. This is where the drain line was usually plumbed in. Although most guys do not run a drain line we still run a small 1/4" drain line and it saves the seals.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Allied is popular here as well. I also like the BTI hoe pac. What I like about the BTI is the method they use to cushion the hoe pac. Instead of side mounting the rubber cushions, BTI uses a honey comb type system that I think looks like a much better design. You don't get the tearing of the rubber mounts on the BTI like you do on the side mounts on most other hoe pacs.

I have a Kent hoe pac and it is as tough a hoe pac as I have had.

rino1494

We paid $1,000 for a brand new Genpac at a RB auction and have it mounted on our 580D and 590 super M and have more than 1,000 hrs on it with no problems at all.

Hendrik

Talking about compactors, I have been thinking (oh no they all say) would it be possible to attach a compacting plate to a rock breaker.
One day I would like to get a rock breaker (or should I say machine breaker) for the Kubota and if it is possible to also use it for compaction this would be a advantage is several ways.

thirdcoaster

Occupation
Slumlord
Are "cheap" compactors worthwhile?

We paid $1,000 for a brand new Genpac at a RB auction and have it mounted on our 580D and 590 super M and have more than 1,000 hrs on it with no problems at all.

After posting the original post, I went surfing the 'net, and came across the Genpac and Dynatec units. They seem almost too cheap in comparison to Kent and Allied. The prices on the Kent and Allied are similar.

I hate to spend top dollar on a hoepac because this unit will likely only be used for 12 residential foundations, and then either sold or used on our ranches as a t-post driver. I also hate to rent, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with the Genpac units or other "cheap" compactors.

BIAVAEX

After posting the original post, I went surfing the 'net, and came across the Genpac and Dynatec units. They seem almost too cheap in comparison to Kent and Allied. The prices on the Kent and Allied are similar.

I hate to spend top dollar on a hoepac because this unit will likely only be used for 12 residential foundations, and then either sold or used on our ranches as a t-post driver. I also hate to rent, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with the Genpac units or other "cheap" compactors.

I have a similar situation. We do some res. driveways and had the thought of purchasing these rather than renting a wacker for small jobs. Is the roi pretty good on these units?? as opposed to just renting the attatchment? There's another post...

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
gggraham what do you know about the amulet hydraulic thumb from BIC? Is it worth buying it? How much is it? It will be mounting on my 580 super m. Its plumbed to the rear so it should work.

Any help would be appreciated.

case 580sm

BlazinSS934

I used a kent plate compactor on a 200 series excavator and it worked great with no down time. Actually had too much compaction a couple of times. Had one problem with it that I remember, the jam nut for the bulk head fitting for the return would vibrate loose and the fitting egged out the bracket. It was a pain to find a fitting locally. But my dealer in jersey sent me two fittings overnight. I also used a kent hammer on a 590 super m and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tylermckee

Have two allied ho pacs at work. Both work great no problems, always hit compaction numbers with about 2' lifts.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Years ago I picked up a Kent 60 (backhoe sized) hoe pac for 750 at a RB sale in Boise. Used it for years, had it resealed and sold it for 2500 last year. There were 5 of them and I had the winning bid at that auction and should have taken all of them. I just bought a new Okada last year. It was like 8500.00 A lot for what it is, but you need it so you buy it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
In my area Mikasa is the popular brand. I've had very good service from them. I've bought mine as retired rental units and used them almost daily without fail.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
why was my post to KSSS taken off the board?

There is not a deleted post in this thread other than a spammer that was removed and one comment to that spammer that would've been orphaned.

There is no record of your post or it being removed in the thread.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've spent a lot of time working on attachments. Allied hands down the best IMO. Keep the bearings lubricated, don't bottom out the main frame into the plate while working it and don't use non-locking threaded couplers on the jump lines and it'll last a long time.

heymccall

Having Allied and NPK compactors, the Npk have a stouter frame and concealed steel manifold valving.
The Allied have the aluminum manifold exposed, an easier to bend upper frame, and a bolt-on bottom plate.