• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pipe Plug Sockets

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
G'day all,
I'm currently servicing a lot of equipment and I know that the Caterpillar machines use "Pipe Plug" sockets. Just wondering if anyone other than Snap On make them of decent quality? What do you guys use?

Cheers

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Caterpillar uses 1/2", very few 3/8" and the rest are hex plugs. A good hex set and standard ratchets or breakers are all you need.

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Hello caterpillarmech,
That's what I am using currently, however I have been led to believe that using breaker bars/ ratchets in this manner (with the ball half out of the hole, due to the fact that it is a "pipe plug") results in costly broken tools. I probably should have made that clear in my original post. Please correct me if I am wrong though :)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hello caterpillarmech,
That's what I am using currently, however I have been led to believe that using breaker bars/ ratchets in this manner (with the ball half out of the hole, due to the fact that it is a "pipe plug") results in costly broken tools. I probably should have made that clear in my original post. Please correct me if I am wrong though :)

I agree using the breaker bar or ratchet in the square hole plugs can lead to the damage you mention. I believe the square sockets I have are Mac.

lantraxco

Only if some ignorant Jack@ss has overtightened the plugs, or failed to use sealant or teflon tape. #2 permatex was a favorite for several decades, lol :rolleyes:

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Only if some ignorant Jack@ss has overtightened the plugs, or failed to use sealant or teflon tape. #2 permatex was a favorite for several decades, lol :rolleyes:
Yep, that ignorant "young chap" shall we say is the exact reason I'm asking this question. Just about everything I see has been overtightened or is otherwise far too tight.

Thanks for the replies guys, I've looked for Mac briefly but couldn't find much (in, or willing to ship too Australia) and also imperial-newton as suggested with similar results.

Personally I try and avoid Snap On tools like the plague. If I don't like the way a tool feels in my hand and I have to use it all the time it doesn't make sense to spend money on it IMHO. However they are the only ones who appear to make a male 1/2" drive 1/2" pipe plug socket.