• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pintle to gooseneck swap possible

danielm

I have a 10 ton pintle trailer that I would like to be able to tow with the 1 ton dually. Tongue weight is too much for a pintle on the 1 ton.
If it could be converted to a gooseneck I'd get a lot more use from it.

Is this possible?

The current axle position is about 80% to the rear I believe.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Personally if you are putting that much weight on the tounge I think you might wanna buy a bigger trailer. I am sure you could manage a modifacation, but when it comes to towing something on public roads I am not willing to risk hurting someone with homemade trailers.

danielm

Bigger trailer. :eek: This one has a 12" I beam frame, pretty stout.

The problem is the axle location and tongue weight. Not a problem if we use the pintle on the big truck and not a problem if it had a gooseneck for the 1 ton. But using a pintle on the 1 ton is out of the question.

I'd get a lot more use out of the trailer if I could pull it with the 1 ton so I got to thinking... ;)

One possibility I discussed with a trailer mfr was to install a gooseneck on the trailer for the small 1 ton truck. A large piece of square tubing could be installed between the frame rails with a pintle hook on the end. It would slide out beyond the GN. The gooseneck would have a long tube drop down to meet a ball on the top of this square tube. Then it could be towed with the larger trucks pintle hitch. Double duty.

I need to rebuild the beaver tail and make some flip up ramps like this one. I could use the flat to haul hay.

Attachments

• trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,565
Last edited:

DirtHauler

Occupation
Ahhh, I misread what you were after. I had a vision of some of the insane negligent stuff I have seen over the years. So is it a problem of getting the weight over the rear axel of the truck or just having a meaty enough place on the truck to hook up? So you have a ball in the bed of the 1 ton, or like an RV hitch?

danielm

Trying to keep the front wheels on the ground. :D

The ball over the axle of the 1 ton is plenty meaty.

Chaz Murray

please excuse my crude MS Paint skills but lookin at the side in this picture the black line would be your current trailer...the red would be an "extention" built to the same width of the trailer. were the pintle lands you would have to put a cross member there to hook up your trailer to it and the top of the extention would be on the front part of the deck, say 3 feet back...might have to have a place to run a bolt though it or some other way of pining it so it dose not turn or lift up when you hit a bump when empty.
If you do it this way then the trailer can be converted back and forth with little effort so if you would like to have it back to a reg style pintle hitch.
if you look at the 2nd pic you can see the extention we build for our trailers using the same concept

Attachments

• hitch.JPG
    hitch.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,409
  • diningcar.jpg
    diningcar.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,283
Last edited:

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
By the time you get someone to engineer and take liability for it, you could probably buy another trailer cheaper.

And if you are ready getting too much tongue weight, imagine the stress on a square tube that is extended out 8 feet.

Edit:

The trailer in the pic you posted is only around $5000, I would not take the liability of some home engineered detachable setup for this price.

You can see that trailer here.
http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/7_ton_gooseneck_pintle.php

The title of this web page says Gooseneck & Pintle, but that is one or the other not both.

Last edited:

danielm

By the time you get someone to engineer and take liability for it, you could probably buy another trailer cheaper.

Edit:

The trailer in the pic you posted is only around $5000, I would not take the liability of some home engineered detachable setup for this price.

You can see that trailer here.
http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/7_ton_gooseneck_pintle.php

The trailer pictured is not a 10 ton trailer.

Home engineered???

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/10_ton_gooseneck_pintle.php

Went by the pic you posted and figures everyone was smart enough to click on the 10 ton model on the menu bar. The only real difference structurally between the 7 and 10 ton is they added another axle, same frames.

Now by the drawing you posted, that may work if the draw tube is also supported by the goosneck. That would eliminate that vertical stress from so long of a tube. But to get the goose neck to attach to the bar there would have to be some vertical slop in where the bar slides out so that it could be raised to lock to the goose neck.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Almost looks like you might be better off to start with a trailer that is already set up for gooseneck and make some type of situation that would let you hook it to a pentle when you needed. Any chance we can get some photos of the two trucks (one with pintle and one with ball in bed) and one of the actual trailer?

danielm

You may be right. I'm just tossing around ideas at this point.
Thsi stuff is just used around the ranch mostly but I figure I'd get more use out of the trailer if I could pull it with the 1 ton.
The 10 ton trailer just sits there 99% of the time. Could have used it today to haul a backhoe to the ranch.

Nothing in the works yet... just ideas scribbled on napkins.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=54796&postcount=5

DirtHauler

Occupation
looks good, is that the manufacturer itself selling them on ebay or just a dealer? might ask them if they have anything suited to your needs or if they will consider adding something to there line that meets the needs of people who want to be more versitle. I can not imagine that you are the only one that has ever wanted a dual hitch trailer.

GaryKelley

Occupation
Self employed loser
i bought a gooseneck trailer 2 years ago, wanted to buy a Brute, but couldn't wait the 6 weeks it was going to take to build it. I first saw Brute trailers on Ebay, and contacted them directly. It is the manufacturer selling them, small family business, I wish I would have bought a Brute. I ended up with a Hefty, and after making several modifications, I have what I want..

J_Anderson

I have a nice 12 ton gooseneck for sale. It's only got about a 150 miles on it. I'm just not sure if you would want to come to Eastern Iowa to get it.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums J Anderson! :drinkup