• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pintle Hitch Tandem Dual Question

KW Kat

Just got our new 28,000 GVWR pierced frame trailer. After delivery noticed a few things. The wheel cutouts in the side channel and the deck plates weren't centered over axles. Under the deck, the cross members were aligned with the "un" centered deck plates resulting in cross member to top of tire clearance only 2" (un-loaded) at front axle, forward cross member. Same condition at rear axle.

Besides that it doesn't look right :mad: -
does anyone know DOT minimum frame to tire clearances?

Attachments

• ProTrakWheel Cutout front a.jpg
    ProTrakWheel Cutout front a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,710
  • ProTrak Fwd Cross Member location a.jpg
    ProTrak Fwd Cross Member location a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,559
  • ProTrak Fwd Clearance a.jpg
    ProTrak Fwd Clearance a.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,529

surfer-joe

Got a new tri-axle lowbed in Wyoming years ago with the same problem. Some dunderhead at the factory installed crossmembers near the tires and they first got bent, then tore loose, then took revenge on the tires by piercing them big time.

Over the years I've had numerous trailers that were welded up wrong. Either take it back, or start cutting till you have clearance. If trailer is that new, then you should have warranty coverage. Don't let em off the hook if you do.

Good Luck!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
What brand is the trailer?

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Before you take it back, make sure the tires don't move to the center when loaded and the springs start to flatten out. There is some for/aft movement of the tires when the springs are loaded.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Thats not enough tire clearance your going to rub if you get a bounce or too much weight. I would maybe check to see if the axles are mounted right or if something has shifted. Unless the deck of the trailer was mounted too far forward at the factory and nobody noticed.

If you can't fix the problem before you take a torch to it take the trailer back to where you bought it from and say look at this. You spent a good chunk of money for it the trailer should look proper and function properly.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
In looking at the suspension design, it appears the springs are fixed between the axles and that the slide for and aft of the front and rear axles. I think this will only compound the problem when the trailer is loaded.

It's too bad you didn't notice this before you took delivery, you held the cards at that point.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
That wouldn't work for me. Before I scratched it, I'd bring it right back and get the sales mgr. at that dealership to see for himself what's up. It's going to be a problem child if you don't, I guarantee.;)

It appears the cutouts for the wheelwells are fabricated in one area of the shop, and the axles get installed after the fact, resulting in some miscalculations.

I'd say it falls under the category of, " Pi** Poor Planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on your part..."

Last edited:

KW Kat

Trailer info

The trailer manufacturer is Pro-Trak in Wills Point, Texas. www.protraktrailers.com

Yes, the deck was welded up wrong. The layout was for their standard
suspension system, not the optional Hutchinson which has a greater axle
spread center to center.

Spring deflection/axle movement - The Hutchinson 9700 system has radius rods from the forward spring seat to the axle mounting pad, the spring ends are sliding in the spring seats so when loaded axle position doesn't move and
the springs flatten out sliding into the seats which will bring the cross member closer to the tire.

On delivery I didn't have much time. After off loading from the top position
(3 more trailers underneath), I noticed the GVWR sticker/ppr work was incorrect, the emergency air hose did not reach truck glad hand and the brake lights didn't work. So, I was busy and didn't notice the cross member
problem 'til later. The mfg took care of the GVWR, sent us a longer hose,
and offered to pay our out of pocket expense to fix the light wiring.

Sent ProTrak a fax, e-mails and made several phone calls - we want a new
trailer built correctly or a full refund. We've had no response for a while now.
Has anyone had any experience with ProTrak Trailers?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
No offense but you bought a cheap trailer I looked up their base price for that trailer you have and its less than what we pay for a 18,000lb gvw trailer.

Most guys in my area buy Trailking tag/tilt trailers either they are tandem or tridem.

If you have had that much trouble with a new trailer take it back and tell them either a refund or a new trailer. I also noticed looking at the website they sure are proud that they offer a whole bunch of different paint colors. I guess that is to take your mind off of the poor build quality.

Good Luck

KW Kat

Ford LT9000
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate any info I can get. I know the base price
is inexpensive but when you start adding options: 14" I-beam, torque tube, two speed jacks, 12K axles, Hutch suspension, air brakes, etc.... now you're over $14K. Looked at other mfg's and I own other trailers for cars & boats - the build quality on this trailer is the same if not maybe a little better. Somebody just needs to learn how to use a tape measure and read a work order over at ProTrak!

I looked at Trail King - they didn't have what I needed. Thanks again, Lee

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Don't let them get away with it thats for sure.

Even with the wheels moved to the right position it still doesn't look like much clearance. I know you probably want a low deck height but you may have problems with the tires rubbing.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Make sure you tell them that your problem has been posted here, and we'll all be watching to see whether you get any satisfaction. If they take good care of you, by all means, shout it from the rooftops here, and we'll all know they stand behind their product. :notworthy

If they screw you, well, we'll know about that too... :cool2

Make sure you tell them that your problem has been posted here, and we'll all be watching to see whether you get any satisfaction. If they take good care of you, by all means, shout it from the rooftops here, and we'll all know they stand behind their product. :notworthy

If they screw you, well, we'll know about that too... :cool2

Hate to have someone giving Texans a bad name.:mad:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Check out this thread. Bought a new tilt bed 9999lb. gvw

Its not the same problem you have but it may give you some more options that you may not be aware of. Even though you accepted it, you still have several options.

I would advise you not to put any sort of load on that deck. You have more "clout" in dealing with this if you haven't used it for its intended purpose. It gives you the options of saying "I can't even use it because of the condition it's in".

Hope all goes well for you.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Like others have said, get it fixed and don't take no for an answer. On the other hand, another $5K would have bought you a Trailmax or TrailKing. My dad bought a cheap 12K lb tilt bed trailer for hauling his skid steer and mini and it's already cracked the frame in a couple places. Buying cheap trailers isn't on my list of things to do anymore, there's just too much riding on them, literally.

thejdman04

keep on them document everythign if you got to take the bums to court, incluidng who you talked to when, 14k is a lot

KW Kat

Trailer Up Date

Last Tuesday, the 11th we finally received a call from the owner of ProTrak.
He apoligized for this going so far and this problem would be solved. He wanted to check if the deck could be corrected/modified, not cobbled up before building a new trailer. He assured me that I would be satisfied.
The 18th, after another whole week of non-returned calls, we got a call from the transportation scheduler "we will be picking up the trailer". So that's
where we're at right now. Sounds promising.

thejdman04

thats entrirely unacceptabl3e , they need to have a new one on its way, drop it off when they pick your pos up. you bought it in good faith gave them the money, they havent delievered a trailer that is right and usable, they need to steop up and make it right

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
This place is 75 miles from me, going out I20.

I don't know what I could do for you but if you want someone to go take pictures (or something like that) of your new one before its shipped just ping me.

and please update when you have something.