• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pin - be the judge

Firemanharry

57ED8795-3687-4810-A917-4FC0BB6748EB.jpeg I was recently running an excavator and one of the pins in the bucket linkage broke. What’s everyone’s thoughts after looking at the picture of said pin that I took immediately after the damage was done.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
From the picture you posted it appears it has been cracked for sometime. But Nige is right. A picture straight on would be more helpful.

Firemanharry

F788ED69-9A02-489A-8A55-F1118F01E9BE.jpeg 5E4BE901-1DF2-4FB6-B0ED-68F8409C1C0E.jpeg The thing I’m wondering about is the dark line just to the left of the rust on the right side of the pin. After that you can see the coloring in the stages that the pin broke in. 79B718D4-7F95-4345-9CEF-86E6778F973E.jpeg 1F727CD8-3EDA-4F3F-81FF-66B3443E19A9.jpeg

DIYDAVE

Looks like it has been cracked long enough for rust to form on the 3/4 that was cracked...:eek:

Firemanharry

They’re putting the blame on me instead of going back to the manufacturer with it. Everyone that knows equipment says there had to be a flaw. That dark line looks to me like a flaw that caused the rest of the pin to fail in stages

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I have seen machines abused beyond belief. I don’t see how you could break that pin in that spot. Who knows. I’d tell them to stuff that pin if they want to blame you.

td25c

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I Wored for an outfit running TS-24's, the lead mechanic constantly blamed operators for breakdowns. I blew a rear engine when the trans harness shorted and the rear trans went to 2nd gear at full tilt boogie on the haul road... My fault and nearly got fired 'til the guy that found the problem spoke up.
We had a guy named Zack on one machine that came into the shop one afternoon with a broken cutting edge, loading with 2 D9G's and an occasional 8K that would jump on and help. Lead mechanic started his blame game and got immediately flattened... Zach was 6'4" and 24" across the shoulders, he had enough of Mr. small mind and went to the office to turn in notice. Rest of us just watched, without offering any help.
Next day was biz as usual, but the lead mechanic had his wings clipped and left shortly after when we started getting right back in his face.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I Wored for an outfit running TS-24's, the lead mechanic constantly blamed operators for breakdowns. I blew a rear engine when the trans harness shorted and the rear trans went to 2nd gear at full tilt boogie on the haul road... My fault and nearly got fired 'til the guy that found the problem spoke up.
We had a guy named Zack on one machine that came into the shop one afternoon with a broken cutting edge, loading with 2 D9G's and an occasional 8K that would jump on and help. Lead mechanic started his blame game and got immediately flattened... Zach was 6'4" and 24" across the shoulders, he had enough of Mr. small mind and went to the office to turn in notice. Rest of us just watched, without offering any help.
Next day was biz as usual, but the lead mechanic had his wings clipped and left shortly after when we started getting right back in his face.

If I break something or even have an inkling I did it I’ll take the heat. Try to throw me under the bus and it’s not gonna end well. Maybe not for me, him or both of us but everybody will know how the bear $hit in the woods! Haha