• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pilot control valve

Zrock

my right hand stick control (pilot control valve) on my 135 has been leaking for a while now and starting to create issues. I went to order the new top end seals and was told i need to replace the pistons at the same time. Is this necessary or is this just a gimmick by the dealer to get more money? Their should be no reason the pistons need changing on a machine with low hours. So now a repair job that was only going to cost about $20 in new seals has jumped up significantly.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
they may have had fulid to leak by piston they know machine but the cost of my labor has made me try my way a lot of the time some work some dont

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
May have upgraded spools and seals ,so you need to replace both.

Zrock

the issue i have is their partsman is new coming from a truck dealer and is unfamiliar with JD or heavy equipment. So was he trying to up sell me or was their a upgrade where both parts are needed.. Searching online you can buy the seal kits and non of them mention having to replace the pistons.

Vetech63

the issue i have is their partsman is new coming from a truck dealer and is unfamiliar with JD or heavy equipment. So was he trying to up sell me or was their a upgrade where both parts are needed.. Searching online you can buy the seal kits and non of them mention having to replace the pistons.
Most of the time the manufacturers have upgraded parts to improve reliability and performance. The computer system automatically updates those parts with supersessions and the dealer has nothing to do with it. If your getting the parts from the manufacturer, they have done it that way for a reason.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Manufacturers from my experience will generally sell out old stock before letting people know there are up dates unless it has something to do with safety. I've resealed plenty of quad control valves and never had to install new pistons. The general rule for repairing or replacing hard parts in a hydraulic system has to do with touch. If you can feel a scratch or worn area it needs to be attended to. In this case, you could have asked to see the written notice showing the reason for the update.