• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pillar bearing house

mrbb

OK was going through some stuff I got from an estate clean out
and found this rather large pillar bearing house,
I have NO idea what its for or from, BUT has me wondering, as it has NO bolt holes to be bolted down, so I am guessing it was sandwiched between something to hold it in place??
about a 2-3/4 infh bearing would I guess be fitted inside it
its like 18 inches long, 9 inches wide and about 8-1/2 inches tall
and weighs a good 60 lbs
everything on this estate was prior to 1961, as that was the newest machine there a 1961 tractor

BUT NO where on the property did I see anything that this would be used on, and I been going to this property a LONG time, and wasn't like things were gone before I got there
SO anyone have any idea what its too?

thanks , much appreciate the help
and IF I am in the wrong section, please just move tread to a correct spot, wasn't wsure where to post this question??

Attachments

• pillar bearing 002.jpg
    pillar bearing 002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 304
  • pillar bearing 014.jpg
    pillar bearing 014.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 305
  • pillar bearing 015.jpg
    pillar bearing 015.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 297
  • pillar bearing 016.jpg
    pillar bearing 016.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 301
  • pillar bearing 006.jpg
    pillar bearing 006.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 301

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Going by what looks like wear in the area of where the bolts would normally be drilled I am wondering if it had a holddown clamp of some sore that let it float about a bit. Just a guess.

mrbb

I gues thats possible, BUT I think this sized bearing/hold had to be attached to something pretty heavy, so I doubt they wanted it to move much
and that pic makes them look more recessed than they are, here's a couple more pic's

Attachments

• pillar bearing 002.jpg
    pillar bearing 002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 266
  • pillar bearing 003.jpg
    pillar bearing 003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 265
  • pillar bearing 011.jpg
    pillar bearing 011.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 269
  • pillar bearing 013.jpg
    pillar bearing 013.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 266

mrbb

never thought of that, but with the zerk fitting on the bottom, I not too sure that would work??
but never know, I know its from the 50-80's era, and thats about it LOL a wide range I know!

lantraxco

Looks like a boom foot mount to me. Or a shin biter if you leave it laying around the shop, heh.

mrbb

HAHA< also looks like a way to make a bad back sore trying to move it around!
its off in the scrap pile for now, along with a lot of other un known things, I have these days!
Who know's maybe some day it will find a re use project too LOL
scrap piles been building over the yrs

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
never thought of that, but with the zerk fitting on the bottom, I not too sure that would work??
but never know, I know its from the 50-80's era, and thats about it LOL a wide range I know!

After another look I agree that it could be one end of a fifth wheel assembly. The grease zerk would be facing the outside where it would be easy to grease. I would expect it to be bolted down unless it was held in some sort of a slider frame.\