• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures of your Backhoe!!!!!

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I think we are so use to centermount machines over here and the fact its never really caught on, it prob never will.

d2r

Here is my 580b.Just picked it up from south of Ottawa.The guy who owned prior to me was running it without a charging system so I just finished rewiring her and replaced all the lights and the alternator.Replaced the front tires and fixed a few small problems but it works and is all there.

Hey... also picked up a 73 580b... needed new front tires... and spindles/bearings up front. No lights, needs a complete rewire. Door was welded to upper frame... badly... needs to be cut loose & properly positioned.

Also need to weld up cracks in loader, lots of hydraulic fluid leaking from arms.

hohoho.jpg

Have considered replacing loader entirely... you don't know which... if any... loaders from other Case units would be compatible? This would be a "Phil" question, but I notice he's been pretty quiet lately.

You're in Eastern Ontario? Any hints about tractor junkyards out this way... I'm north of Belleville.

volvobl

its kind of funny really ive tried leaving my bl71 sideshift in the centre and tried trenching but ended up needing a lot more room maybe the fact still remains that there is alot more room to be had out there than here in that respect i was loading a few trucks the other day left the clamp (as we call it) in the centre and i was ok with it just the fact when digging on services and trenching the only way successful is to put the machine on an angle the excellence is with sideshift you can leave the machine in the same place and dig nice square holes out. The question is it easy to get a sideshift or probably youd have to wait a long time for one to get shipped over there

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
With only one period like that you need to be careful where you use it.It should go at the end so we know when to stop reading.Ron G

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I see sideshift hoes around once in a while. Very seldom. Ive at the very least played around with a 580G once at a dealer. Never had the chance to run a sideshift hoe on the job. Ive been on plenty of tight city streets, stuffed in a small back yards, up against walls, you name it. Alot of creativity on how to set up and dig. Different angles, digging with out the stabilizers, w/e it takes.

I kinda feel like a side shift hoe wouldnt be balanced as well as a centermount. Than again I could be wrong?

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
With respect to the side-shift hoes, back on the farm in Canada we had a 580c center-mount, now in Europe my dad has a 580k side-shift both have their advantages, the side-shift gives more flexibility along walls or corners, stability is not as bad as i woulda thought. my only problem with the side-shift is the stabilizers dont keep you in place as good as the center-mounts, especially in the soft stuff. center-mount stabs dig deeper and are geometrically well oriented to keep the machine on one spot. the side-shifts get pulled around alot in soft terrain. i would say its down to job specification.

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
Speaking of our "new" side-shift case 580k here's some pics and testing in the yard. Nothing real fancy, i cant find any kind of number plate on it at all, but from what ive already read from other posts here on HEF is that it has the Carraro rear transaxle, its 4x4 but non turbo, has 4790hours on the dial but im assuming that its 14790hours thus probably due for a check over, since we've had it ive put about 8hours seat time on it moving manure and carving some paths for the tractors. well once back on the farm im gonna have to get a closer look at it and change the oils maybe just gotta wait for the manual to download...

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

VIDEOS:
http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k506/funkinalive/?action=view&current=MVI_4098.mp4

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k506/funkinalive/?action=view&current=MVI_4099.mp4

Last edited:

AdrianD

With respect to the side-shift hoes, back on the farm in Canada we had a 580c center-mount, now in Europe my dad has a 580k side-shift both have their advantages, the side-shift gives more flexibility along walls or corners, stability is not as bad as i woulda thought. my only problem with the side-shift is the stabilizers dont keep you in place as good as the center-mounts, especially in the soft stuff. center-mount stabs dig deeper and are geometrically well oriented to keep the machine on one spot. the side-shifts get pulled around alot in soft terrain. i would say its down to job specification.

I also think than with a side-shift you can move around tight spaces more easily.

Nice looking K you have. Was it repainted ?

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
Yes definitely, maybe even twice lol. you can see all kinds of different color schemes on it. another thing about the side-shift ive forgot to mention is that you can "tuck in" the backhoe for transport like in the final pic, shifting weight forward or "over center" so it doesn't bobble as much on the road as a center-mount.

jmtrackworks

Occupation
Owner/Operater; Martins Track Works
Nice lookin 416c. I've got one and have been very happy with it. It is 4wd with an extenda hoe and a 4n1 bucket. It is a very versatile machine. Post more pics of your machine if you have them.

volvobl

yes id prefer sideshift even on hills we sometimes go across land hills and we would move the sideshift to the top end to counter balance weight and also extend the arm out too makes life a bit easier to see my main concern is how can you trench all day with the boom in the middle ? Ive been on machines now for a few years and bought up on backhoes but still puzzles me im used to a sideshift and leave the clamp as we call it on one side

Deon

Since the tittle is Pictures of your Backhoe, here is my 1992 JD 310D. Rebuilt and painted cab and revamped back window last fall. Converted extendahoe to nylon pads instead of metal strips. Planing to repaint yellow this fall.

Attachments

• My 310D May 2011.jpg
    My 310D May 2011.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,045
  • P1030919.jpg
    P1030919.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,049
  • P1030920.jpg
    P1030920.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,029
Last edited:

d2r

First Blood, er... bucket

1973 580B - bought this baby a little while ago and just got it back from the shop. Took my first bite of Mother Earth and it felt damn good. The hoe has some slop, but this machine has obviously been around the block a few times.

Anyway, it's a work in progress... new rubber up front, new spindles & bearings, new tie rod.

running.jpg

Had to weld up some loader arm leaks and replace the stabiliser hoses to avoid my own little Exxon Valdez in the driveway. Think there's also a crack inside a loader bushing, but I'll wait a little before yanking loader to check it out.

What it needs right now while I have the floor plates out... is a real cleaning. I've scraped off all the gunk I could, but I think it needs pressure washing or steam cleaning. Suggestions? Any susceptible areas I should keep the water away from?

Gonna look at pressure washers tomorrow. Anybody know what detergent or degreaser would do the trick here?

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
That machine looks pretty good for its age so I guess you have to expect some 'dosh' to go out on repairs, that's ½ the fun? ;)

With the pressure cleaners' I finally have a little Talon unit from an eBay seller, it is pretty amazing at blowing stuff all over me.

No seriously it does a good job, today I cleaned the triple radiators really well on my 580SK, there must have been ½ a cup of junk, gravel and grass in there that the compressed air just would not budge.

Underneath I am not keen to spray high pressure water into electrical connections and leaking seals before they are replaced as it might wet a bearing or housing in an unplanned way. :eek:

If there is new sealing everywhere and the machine is run to 'dry out' after the clean it doesn't matter as much.

Sure is important to keep the dirt at bay, my machine has been away fencing on our Station (ranch) for a couple of months and it has been dry so there is a fair bit of dirt back inside that I might get this little cleaner onto before I change the two major oil systems soon.

This is how the oil cooler radiator looked when I moved out the A/C condenser and now it is raining so the bucket is going to be stuck in the air for a while longer so I can paint that bonnet in enamel. :cool2

Attachments

• 580SK-Fan.Belt.Change-Radiator-Clean-040611-DSC09006.JPG
    580SK-Fan.Belt.Change-Radiator-Clean-040611-DSC09006.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,921
  • 580SK-Fan.Belt.Change-Radiator-Clean-040611-DSC08998.JPG
    580SK-Fan.Belt.Change-Radiator-Clean-040611-DSC08998.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,908
  • 580SK-Fan.Belt.Change-Radiator-Clean-040611-DSC09005.JPG
    580SK-Fan.Belt.Change-Radiator-Clean-040611-DSC09005.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,893

Pops15

Here's my 1980 555. 3500 hours, x-hoe.