1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Picture size issues on the new forum

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cmark, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

There has been some discussion on another thread about large pictures being uploaded. Users with slower internet speeds have difficulty downloading the images in a reasonable time frame.

The answer seems to be to resize the pictures before you upload, but how?

The method I use (Windows) is to
    • Right click on the file/s
    • Select Send To - Mail Recipient
    • You then get a drop down where you can select the image size
    • Email the image/s to yourself
    • Save the emailed images and upload
    Anyone have any other ideas?

2. alrman

alrman Senior Member

Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
    I use Windows Paint.
    Paste the picture, select resize, then pixels, type in 1000 at the longest side - horizontal or vertical (landscape or portrait) then save it.
    It's a good idea to actually name it something related to the subject during the save process.

3. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Even 1,000 pixels on one side is more than enough, unless trying to show very fine details like wear marks on a crankshaft.

Any image viewer I think has an option to resized and only takes a couple click of the mouse. If you want to keep the original size file just save the resized picture with "resize" at the end of file name.

Say original file was a picture of a gear pump part named "pump shaft.jpg", just name the new file "pump shaft resized.jpg" Now if someone asks for a close up view of the seal area of the shaft just go back to the original file and crop the image to show the seal area and save that file as "pump shaft seal area.jpg".

All this only requires a few seconds of time and a few quick clicks of the mouse, assuming you still use a mouse like I do, I hate touch pads or touch screens with a passion! But that is a story for another thread!

4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

I use PIXresizer. A free easy to use program that does not use much of your computer resources. The original photo is not altered in any way nor is it deleted after the resizing is done.
    It can be downloaded here --->https://bluefive.pairsite.com/pixresizer.htm

sizer.png

5. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    I tend to attach pics indiscriminately. I keep forgetting some folks use dial up. I apologize if my posts have taken folks too long to download.