• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Picked up a Marshall Tree Saw...

Todd v.

I was at the right place at the right time for a change and got a great deal on a barely used Marshall Tree Saw. It's an interesting piece of equipment and isn't something I was even in the market for. After using it for an hour or so to thin out a few pine trees here at the house the main short coming I see is there is not tree control to speak of. Sometimes you can pull the tree back after cut to have it fall away, but not if it starts to go where it wants before then. I plan on modifying the guard so it can be used to push the tree away from the machine so I can control the direction it falls. For me, I think it will get used most for cutting fence rows through the woods where you can cut a tree at a time and push it off into the woods.

Anyhow, it looks pretty sturdy and really should last through a lot of use since nothing moves fast but it is heavy, bulky and long. The size of the cylinders is nuts, never seen any so large. Great peice of equiptment I think if I can work out a way to get the trees to fall where I want them. The real plus over a sheer IMO is being able to cut the stumps flush or even below grade. Plenty of vids on youtube if you've never seen one.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I just watched a Utube video where they cut almost thru the tree and then pushed it over before going back to clean up the stump flush to the ground. A hydraulic adjustable push arm/guard would be handy but then where does the hydraulic to run it comes from. Looks like a fun and handy little jigger.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
That certainly is a different take on things....slow speed, gob's of torque, no super sharp blade needed.
Nothing flying around either.

Todd v.

Yup, should live a long life. On the guard I was thinking of something spring loaded that would stick out slightly psat the verticle line to give the tree a push away from the machine. A back burner project for right now but I'll post what I come up with when I come up with it.

I cut about 20 12" pines and a few hardwoods, it goes right through em.

ironjunkie

Never seen (or heard) of them before, I'd like to try one for sure. What did you give $$ and do your know what they want new?

Todd v.

Best I could tell they were selling new in the 13-14k range, most used ones I saw were 7-9k. I paid $1500. And it's definitely not stolen, bought it from a local bunsiness owner and have a bill of sale. :) Lol. Right place at the right time for a change. They make a 12" & 16" version, mine is the 16" one.

Last edited:

ironjunkie

Best I could tell they were selling new in the 13-14k range, most used ones I saw were 7-9k. I paid $1500. And it's definitely not stolen, bought it from a local bunsiness owner and have a bill of sale. :) Lol. Right place at the right time for a change. They make a 12" & 16" version, mine is the 16" one.

You should have got a lottery ticket on the way home! That's one heck of a deal, congrats!