• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Phantom problem with ISM Cummins

Deere500a

08' Peterbilt ISM Cummins for no reason the throttle will cut out, the stop engine light will flash on, for two to ten second then the throttle will come back and the truck runs fine no stored codes and the stop engine lights and alarms stop. Yesterday running up hill empty in the middle lane passing another truck the throttle cut out, coasting up hill you don't get far, the truck on my right backed out and let me hit the shoulder rolling about 15mph. Once the throttle came back there was no issues for the rest of the day. It may do it once it may do it four times then the rest of the week it will be fine it just seems like for that brief space of time it decides to act up. In the past I could turn the key off and back on and everything comes back or flip on the cruise. It's been in the shop twice but with no codes all they are doing is guessing, they replaced the throttle sensor, a new harness is $1100 short of a witch doctor or a voodoo ritual does anyone know what the problem is?

6ab5f915.jpg

Thank you

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
ISM,s brings back nightmares
Sounds like a short somewhere, a bad ground, crank or cam sensor. The ISM I had would derate itself (no power) I had it in the so call Cummins shop about 8 times, and many dollars later, the driver turned the truck over, I guess thats one way to fix it, unfortunately, I didnt have insurance to cover the damage, truck was totaled. The computer, should have put a code in it, I would call another Cummins dealer and see what they say. I dont like to be a parts changer, but I would change the cam and crank sensor.
A friend had a ISM and it would cut off, it ended up being the fuel pump
Good Luck

Helps to get a snapshot with the scanner.
The Dealer can give you a print out of the results.
I had one with a bad pump and one we had to flash the ECU.
One I had the remote throttle for the Fire Pump messing with the Data link causing to to go to idle while pumping....that one really sucked!!!!!!

Deere500a

^Thank you, Cummins should have a recall on there dime to find & fix it. Willis WOW. I drove a Frieghtliner ISM for a 3mo period in 03' it was a good puller easy on fuel but now it looks like to find a good motor is gone. There is days it is nice to be a co driver

You said it was a Pete..Right?
Our salt truck and G-trucks are 07-08 356's with ISM Cumalongs.
Ck to see if any of the fuses are loose down by your left foot..............
They even fall out sometimes.

TCS

It has been my experience with Cummins electronic engines that when there are no faults flashed or stored the problem was most likely a loose plug at the ECM harness or the ECM itself. However as someone stated previously I would check and recheck all ground wires pertaining to the electronic engine harness to begin with.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
You might want to check all wires that are plugged together that are for the ECM.We had a truck that would die then crank up but one day no start up.Shop found where the wire going to the fuse box for the ECM was corroded inside where it plugged together.They cleaned it and no more trouble.This did not throw codes either.Sometimes you will see some green stuff around plug.