• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pettibone steering pressure

TVA

Hydraulic hose is really bad for pneumatics because of troubleshooting reasons!
Hydraulic hose actually leaks as million tiny pinholes, which is almost impossible to hear - but it leaks fast!

TVA

3A21CA3C-D9DB-4C85-B417-DCBE8CD388C6.jpeg D65C1FEA-E935-4955-A823-64F1AF37A9C5.jpeg DE6F6B59-22BB-431A-8F28-C6A1ABF4F8A8.jpeg 566D277C-F4B7-47D8-BCA4-01D275614247.jpeg Is this something that still available?! Or should I not waste time and go straight to machine shop?!

crane operator

The inner portion will be fine with just new seals on it. Clean it up a little.

Have the machine shop make a new barrel, if its pitted/ rusted so much that a hone of the barrel won't allow it to seal. If the area where the seals ride looks like it would clean up and be smooth, the rust between in the port area won't matter.

TVA

All the dark areas on the inside of outer shell is rust! So I’m not gonna even waste time?

crane operator

The only portion of the inside of the outer shell that matters is the thin area where the three seals ride. The rest can be all pitted up, it probably is from moisture from the air system. But that area doesn't matter, just the thin band where the seal sits, and usually it isn't in too bad of shape.

If it is grooved at all, the hone won't clear that up. If it just a surface rust, sometimes a machine shop hone will give you a smooth enough area to seal. You would be surprised at how much a light hone will fix, I had a larger national swivel that was rusted pretty bad, and the hone got the sealing areas good enough.

TVA

I’ll inspect it tomorrow! Got two cylinders going to machine shop for re hone or possibly barrel replaced! Water spots!

HATCHEQUIP

By the time you find all the parts and swap them over on that 671 you could find a good used engine and have it swapped out and running and money ahead. that one in the crane now probably came out of a boat that had 2 engines one right one left and somebody made him a helluva deal on a left:rolleyes:

TVA

By the time you find all the parts and swap them over on that 671 you could find a good used engine and have it swapped out and running and money ahead. that one in the crane now probably came out of a boat that had 2 engines one right one left and somebody made him a helluva deal on a left:rolleyes:
American actually have V8 for the crane part! Owner decided not to restore it, he’d rather destroy telescope on cherry picker. Although he thinks it’s not gonna happen!!!:confused:

HATCHEQUIP

well if he's going to do it with one that bone will probably be the best bet their built like a brick s//t house.
as far as that 8v same thing holds tru if he ever gets that wild hair again, swap it...

TVA

Started to pull outrigger slide cylinder, because it or hose telescope or both leaked the river as soon as you started the engine! Telescope came out with no problem, cylinder went about 1/4 of the way and got stuck! I was pulling it by hand, then I decided to give it a pull with forklift, then it wouldn’t go either way with forklift starting spinning on gravel, then it got dark!

Question: why it got stuck? Because slider tube collapsed a little while under load?
What if it wouldn’t go either way on Monday, should I cut out the window on top of slider to cut the bushing on rod end to free it up?!

Don’t want to push too hard on long and skinny rod!!!

crane operator

You are trying to replace/ reseal the outrigger beam extension and retraction cylinder?

There should be a pin and hose connections on the opposite side of the beam from the jack cylinder (opposite side of the crane). Remove that pin that holds the end of the cylinder and disconnect the hoses. Then slide the whole beam and cylinder out together.

crane operator

Knock the pin out where I have it circled, and disconnect the hoses there, and then pull the whole works out the other side. If the pin is rusted, cut down on each side of the pin and then you can blow out the rusted pin once you get it apart.

pettibone_LI.jpg

TVA

That’s what I did, but the rod side of cylinder got stuck inside the beam!
It looks like that pin was going inside the bushing that is inside of rods eye end! And either because the oil leaked for so long and got dirt accumulated on the beam walls, or beam walls collapsed a little after the years of putting the load on it, but that bushing is jammed between the beam walls now! Or something was there that not supposed to be there, or something broken off of telescoping pipe/hose bracket!

I’m gonna try and carefully pull the other one on Monday, see if I can learn something new! But both pieces pulled easily by hand at the beginning!

Found 3/4-16 tap inside of the beam BTW! At least where I could reach with my hand!

TVA

So what you saying that rod end of the cylinder supposed to be inside of the bracket that holds the telescoping pipes, and the whole thing fastens to a beam with the same pin?

If it’s the case - then something got broken off or separated!

TVA

But even if it got broken off, it’s still meant to come out together!

crane operator

After I pull the pin where I have it circled, I generally put a wood block in there to hold the rod or barrel off of the floor of the box beam. Then slide the whole beam, jack and cylinder out the other side of the crane with a forklift. There should be a pin in the sides of the box, on the other side, that holds the other end of the beam extension cylinder.

Some have the barrel end on the side I have circled, on some cranes the rod is there. It doesn't really matter, it should have a pin holding each end. The jack hoses are generally laid in there in a S shape with the cylinder. I have had to torch out the pins when they haven't been apart in a long time.

I wouldn't go torching holes in the outrigger box beams, that's structural and it will never pass a crane inspection again, unless you hide it real well.

TVA

There’s only one pin on the jack end, so I assume that both rod end of the cylinder and the jack end of telescope supposed to be connected and fastened to inside box with the same pin. Otherwise the jack hoses would be the ones which will be pulling on telescopes when extending. But I’ll pull the other one and see for sure!

I’ll do my best free the cylinder without cutting anything and bending the rod.
But if it will come to that, we will only cut the top ( not the sides) of the box, and make sure that we will butt weld the patch with tight fit and good bevels followed with good weld! For compression action!
This crane is a yard crane, and 99% will never will be used on outside jobs ever, and don’t have to be inspected. But still I don’t want anything to happen to it!

The other departments is riding my behind because now as they see this machine in the yard they want to use it! Although I told everybody that it will not be work ready any time very soon, because the bottom of the machine was not used or maintained for 17 years! And needs to be gone through and rebuilt thoroughly before putting in service, so it will not start having annoying and dangerous break downs on the middle of the job.

They have barge coming in on Monday, with something on it that they use to have two machines to unload, but now they want this one because it will be faster and easier! But they having problems understanding that it is not ready!

TVA

7F05030C-6A39-4A12-B8CA-1D2E597DCE7F.jpeg C17D5D4A-018E-4828-A64F-9DFE70C53D65.jpeg 81F51941-B53A-4159-945A-F1BDAF0F2D8B.jpeg Well! It was late, I was tired and stupid! And missed another pin which hold the cylinder eye and was about 3 feet deeper!!!

But now the question: need to replace telescoping tubing because it’s pitted and some of it bent. Looking at honed and chrome plated tubing, need to choose between CDS or DOM, and I have no idea! So need to know what pressure should be in outrigger jack cylinders, to calculate burst pressure?! Or plainly just tell me DOM, CDS or both will work?!

crane operator

Pressures are usually around 2200-2,500psi in most cranes I've been around. Some newer stuff may run up to 3,000 before pressure relief. BUT- I have no idea what pettibone had for pressure.

That is a unique beam telescope. Is it actually two extension tubes in trombone/ hollow tube, so that it doesn't have any hoses across, it sends the jack fluid through the beam extension cylinder?