• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pettibone steering pressure

TVA

Frankly a was not thinking getting in to cranes! Had enough to do with smaller stuff.

Have you ever heard about heavy duty wrecker actually picking up one end of the rough terrain of this size and dragging it?
That’s was this guys idea today!

crane operator

Anything is doable with the right equipment. Most 65 ton RT's are around 80-90,000lbs, so if the wrecker is big enough to lift 1/2? I've seen pictures of wreckers made from big quarry dump trucks, for pulling them when broke, so yes its possible to pick one end up.

But ---- If you are just trying to get it on a RGN, a semi- wrecker to pull it on, and some chain come alongs to tug the steering around would be my solution, you could even force the tires the direction you wanted them with wheel loaders or big forklifts with a old tire as a cushion if you wanted to. If he doesn't need it all working (mobile) when he gets it where its going, I'd be doing that before pulling the swivel apart.

I think the swivel repair may be the least of your problems getting it mobile, if it hasn't moved for 17 years. If its just setting on a pad/ dock to pull boats, I wouldn't mess with getting it mobile.

TVA

Another thing I don’t know is how bad the break shoes rusted to drums. I had my Freightliner sitting for two years and I tried everything under the sun to free up one wheel because I had to urgently move it - nothing worked. Ended up ruining two tires dragging it out on hard compacted travel.
I guess I’ll just get bunch type 30 spring compressor bolts and case of penetrating oil, compress al 8 springs in break cans and spray the hell out of between shoes and drum.

Knowing his operation ( constant distress mode ) - hell want it mobile. The other guy who worked on it before me said he manually pushed shuttle shift rod and it tried to move. But air system gonna have to be fully overhauled.
Thinking may be even some things will be converted from electric over pneumatic over hydraulic to straight electric over hydraulic. I checked slip rings looking good and found only one burned wire there.

TVA

Thanks Crane Operator!
Your input is invaluable and greatly appreciated!!!

Got some more bad news! Told the guy about what you said about telescopes and hammers - now he wants me to find reverse direction water, oil, and fuel pumps and a starter!

TVA

F66D126F-E38D-481F-9728-800EBD99C3D7.jpeg 6C7FE5AA-715A-45C5-88F3-157112FDDD8D.jpeg

Ready to load! It’s actually sits 90 degrees to position it was in for I been told 17 years. Google map still have pictures of red roof of the furnace this thing was loading! I got itch all over me because of fiberglass insulation from that furnace!

crane operator

Looks like a 90-sc, those are a 45 ton. The only one I've seen of those in real life, had a set of rail gear under it. There sure aren't many of those out there. Make sure to pick up those outrigger pads, looks like that may be a 2 man operation. :)

Pray you don't need any hard parts for one of the winches or the axles, they are pettibone specific, and I doubt you can get anything.

Probably 6v-53 detroit?

TVA

Let me ask you: does outrigger circuit has Hydraulic on/off valve somewhere beside the mechanical on/off in the torque converter gear drive?
Everything outrigger is dead! I didn’t have time to trace the hoses and pipes, I neede to make it load worthy because tomorrow I’m leaving for 3 weeks!

Tugger2

Now I’m scared that he is gonna want me to work on that American!:eek:
Run from the Pettibone, give us more details about the American,they are great old cranes ,very simple to work on and the best for pile driving. And it will most likely do a good job lifting boats if its rigged right.

crane operator

I would guess the outriggers not working is electrical, but I don't know enough about pettibone to tell you. I wouldn't even know who to have you ask, there's just none of them out there. You're just going to have to trace the hoses and find the solenoids and probably just jumper wire them.

Tugger knows what he's talking about. The american. Something is going to break on the pettibone, there's no used parts out there and you're going to have to band aid any issues you find.

TVA

Амеrican dufutly got repowered by Detroit screamer with wrong rotation!

May be you guys can help: I have this crazy idea if it’s all hydraulic drive and all gear pumps may be I should think about flipping the bodies of the pumps instead of reversing the engine?!
But Ive only seen that machine from a far - will get to take a look at it after I come back from Seattle m!
Although repowering of Ascom 100 ton travel lift scheduler on 4th of July week!

TVA

Looks like they both gonna get restored and ASAP!
Competitor up the river went under and this place gets overrun with work!

crane operator

Get some pictures, so we know what we're talking about. Find out if you are talking about upper or lower engine. The outriggers down are hyd, but upper is mostly all air and torque converter. I'm assuming its a lattice truck.

If its lower engine, you're going to have to deal with travel, but really, tugger is going to be much more help, I'm no american, or lattice friction man at all.

TVA

BTW scuttlebutt going around the yard that that fancy y
Get some pictures, so we know what we're talking about. Find out if you are talking about upper or lower engine. The outriggers down are hyd, but upper is mostly all air and torque converter. I'm assuming its a lattice truck.

If its lower engine, you're going to have to deal with travel, but really, tugger is going to be much more help, I'm no american, or lattice friction man at all.

I’ve been told that travel engine works beautifully, the crane one is wrong direction.
It’s four axle cab over machine, I’ve seen hydraulic joysticks for control so got to be pilot circuit. But it’s all I know as of now!

TVA

About that scuttlebut - people saying that that fancy yacht belongs to Brett Farves brother, idk if it’s true though!

There’s also showel sitting on the back, I mean not excavator but real tracked shovel. Don’t remember but I think I’ve seen Erie written on it - are you guys interested in that one too?

TVA

I’ll post some pictures of American when I’ll be back!
Tim to get some sleep, just got back from Big Easy and can barely walk!

TVA

I would guess the outriggers not working is electrical, but I don't know enough about pettibone to tell you. I wouldn't even know who to have you ask, there's just none of them out there. You're just going to have to trace the hoses and find the solenoids and probably just jumper wire them.

Tugger knows what he's talking about. The american. Something is going to break on the pettibone, there's no used parts out there and you're going to have to band aid any issues you find.

Yes it’s solenoid operated, I jumped solenoids straight by Power Probe, also pushed the buttons on them - all four outriggers and extenders totally dead!

TVA

Another question: that Clark transmission has another shift rod, close to the bottom on the front. It is doesn’t have shift cylinder or a bracket, I read that these 2800 series can be 3 or 4 speed power shift, or 3 speed power shift with mechanical splitter which makes it 6 speed.
Do this mean that one is 6 speed?

The 4wd sifter is on the back - so it’s not that.

TVA

Yeah! If it’s torque converter than it’s probably no way around that with wrong direction.

TVA

One very important question I keep forgetting to ask: where do I look for model/ serial number on that machine?!
So I at least know what I am dealing with.

Tugger2

If its an American friction lattice machine the serial number is on the outside of the cab right below the front window.