1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Pettibone Extendo B-66-B rear steer not working

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by sawzall5150, Feb 2, 2020.

1. sawzall5150

sawzall5150 Well-Known Member

Seld employed welder, fabricator,millwright,piping
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking at buying this telehandler for personal use around shop and farm. It's really a tight good running old machine and he only wants $5000. I saw one sell on purple wave exactly like it for $8300 and that's the cheapest i've seen one go for yet. I've been surfing internet for any info on them and there's just not hardly anything as far as info like serial # identification, year identification, exploded view illustrations, etc. I'm assuming the rear steer not working is likely a stuck valve? it stays straight no problem but I havn't got to mess with it. Just looking for any heads up on possibilities. Thank's.

2. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    More then likely a problem with the steering orbitrol, depending on it's design you *may* be able to substitute a different unit in there to keep things cheap(below a couple thou.) unless you can find parts??? and keep it stock... kinda hard to believe it not 'steering' at all??? usually they just get sloppy/leaky/hard to turn/etc... or it might be mechanical and the joints won't allow turning?

3. sawzall5150

Thanks Ronsii,
    Once I get it home I’ll give it a good going over. The old thing runs and works great. Just takes a big circle to turn it.

4. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Oh, so you're saying the steering does work but ... limited/slow/hard???

5. sawzall5150

Front steer works fine. Rears stay straight.

6. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Is that supposed to have crab steer too? like a three way steering selector valve for front only, crab steer, and regular 4 wheel steer (front and rear opposite).

Vetech63 likes this.
  7. sawzall5150

8. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Get me a model and serial number of the machine.

mg2361 likes this.
  9. sawzall5150

10. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

By the old records it was built in 84. It should be the old style steering valve that has a manual handle , more than likely on the dash somewhere. It is a pretty simple system. You should get 2 wheel, crab, and oblique steering.

11. sawzall5150

Thanks that’s good information. Hopefully I can get it working correctly without having to get too deep. I’m probably going to go after it later this week and I’ll for sure have more questions.

12. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

13. sawzall5150

14. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Here is the machine log records when it was built. I don't know about you, but I always like to see where these machines went. It also has the serial numbers of the major components that the machine originally had when it left the factory.
    http://www.gopettibone.com/forms/logshts/clogshts/B66-5531.pdf

As far as the steering issue, Its more than likely the steering selector valve (original pt# LL-3162-62) or the packing in one of the rear steering cylinders. Most of the time when the packing in a steer cylinder goes bad the rear wheels will drift one direction or another during travel, in other words, they wont stay where you set them. The steering selector valve should have 3 detented positions, one for each of the 3 selections. Check and see if there is 3 definite positions on your selector valve. I have had the handle set screw come loose and it not turn the valve shaft.

The part number has changed for that steer selector. It is now a pt# LL-520-81. Your in luck if you need one and want to get it from Pettibone...……...they have it in stock at a price of $1018.50! o_O:eek:;)

mg2361 and Delmer like this.
  15. sawzall5150

Wow that’s impressive good information. Thanks a lot.