• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pettibone EL88

etd66ss

I have a very old Pettibone EL88 I am wanting to get working to aid with setting trusses for my shop build.

20230731_165610.jpg

I bought this quite a few years ago, had it running but no brakes, never really used it for anything. I resealed the steering and sway cylinders, but never put them back on yet. In the process of measuring and making all new HYD hoses.

I'm having an issue with some valves, I think they are relief valves. The valve bodies are made of aluminum and corroding in a manner I have never seen, some type of Galvanic Reaction.

20230731_150404.jpg

I don't think they are going to hold up much longer. Hanson Machine Company who used to build these are long gone, and when I contact Landmark Equipment (They are the only ones who even answer me when I look for help with this old Pettibone), they usually don't have much in the way of parts, or even alternative parts.

Here is the part number on the valves:

20230731_150351.jpg

According to the Pettibone parts manual I have they are 1500 PSI relief valves. I've attached a pdf containing the sheets pertinent to the relief valves.

Anyone have any idea on replacement parts for this?

Attachments

• Model 88 Relief.pdf
    121.9 KB · Views: 3

Delmer

I would poke around that corrosion and see what it looks like underneath. I'd be surprised if it affects the function of the valve at only 1,500PSI. If it does, it shouldn't be hard to find a relief valve with the same fittings, or adapters, that is adjustable to that pressure. That is an interesting missing link in the pettibone evolution, they put a shooting boom on a super 8 it looks like.

etd66ss

I would poke around that corrosion and see what it looks like underneath. I'd be surprised if it affects the function of the valve at only 1,500PSI. If it does, it shouldn't be hard to find a relief valve with the same fittings, or adapters, that is adjustable to that pressure. That is an interesting missing link in the pettibone evolution, they put a shooting boom on a super 8 it looks like.

I found these on eBay: 1L24-F4-25S However the price is rediculous.

If I have to replace, I think I would go with something like this: RD1800

I fear that if I try to remove that lower NPT fitting the aluminum body of the valve will crumble. It's possible I can machine the corroded aluminum off the bottom of the valve bodies and redo the 1/2" NPT port without interfering with the valve spool & porting.

etd66ss

Wondering if I can rotate the exhaust and intake manifold on this engine so I can switch to an updraft carb and have exhaust come out the top?

20230816_155325.jpg
20230816_155330.jpg

The current downdraft carb on it is a Zenith 228 that needs to be replaced. Replacement carb is $1000. No way I am doing that. I think I can find a much cheaper updraft carb core on eBay to rebuild.

The engine is a IH UB240 inline 6 cyl.

Delmer

You'd think so. I've never seen a downdraft carb like that, I wonder if it's swapped from a truck?

If you want to know for sure, I'd ask at redpower.