• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbilt 379 Project

390eric

Guidecoat on the frame, its going to be straight that's for sure. Glad to see the time you are taking on this truck, its going to be well worth it when its all done.

carolinacat

How much difference was there between the car hauler front axel and the standard axel you took out. I have a 359 with a 3406 in it and like you said I have about 1/2 between the axel and the pan. Only way to go lower is with a car hauler front axel but not sure how much difference there is. Im thinking its not very much.

Slammed379

The difference is 1.5" and the width is the same. Keep in mind the front end will come down 1.5" with just the axle swap. It will/should come down more than that because of the additional weight transfer from the rear to the front. Mine dropped over 2" with the axle swap.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
This project is really looking good.
Will you be using the fattest super singles available on the rear or duals ?

Ron

carolinacat

My old pete has a eaton axel under it currently didnt you have a car hauler eaton numer as well? Thinking I can use the hubs and stuff I currently have over again on another eaton axel..

Slammed379

Went looking thru ur post on the other site eaton 13011 sound right?

I think the axle you are looking for is an Eaton E1320I (5" drop). I don't know why, but it seems everyone purchases the Meritor FF943 when they want a drop axle. Maybe they are more common and easier to get. I don't think Eaton makes the E1320I anymore and it was replaced with the E1322I. Any Eaton axle with a "W" on the end of the axle model means the axle is a "wide axle." For example you might find an E1320IW, this is a 5" drop axle, but is an extra wide axle and probably not something you want. Hope this helps.

carolinacat

Very helpful indeed. I have been looking for info like you just posted for months. I have nothing against getting a rockwell /meritor Just most of them are older and use bud style wheels and I have unimount. So thats just more money if I have to buy/ find different hubs. I mean would eaton hubs fit on Rockwelll spindles? I also have to find one with a center pin spacing of 32.5 inches. If you got 2 inches of drop I may get more as I am 310 wheelbase. I was laying under the truck the other day getting the Front beam tag info and got to thinking I think I can put a 1" spacer in the front motor mount and that with the car hauler axel will let me set the bumper on ground with LP 24.5 ...For the rear tandem Im pretty much stuck with the heigth it is. Its a b*****d truck and has an 8 bag kw cutoff under it. Good info Slammed and Great looking Pete.

carolinacat

Im not sure on the hubs. Has eaton brake backing plates I assumed the whole thing is eaton. They want alot for thoes eaton axels im gonna source a rockwell with uni mount. Then I wouldnt have to swap hubs.