• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbilt 379 Project

Slammed379

I measured my blocks there like 3in to 2in since they slope down...how Do u know how low u can go before u get vibrations? I'm glad I asked before I just went ahead and removed the blocks..lol any one have a part number for the smaller blocks and what size of u bolts need? I have a old axle there I and I was trying to figure how you would go about removing the dowel pin it's in there pretty good,,,I guessing there has to be sum heating involved ..

The best way to get those dowels out is weld a large nut to the end of the dowel and use heat, a hammer and a breaker bar to turn it loose and get it out. I'm not sure exactly how low you will be able to go. That is going to depend on the specs of your truck and the type of suspension you have. I think going down an inch or two in the front wont hurt and if it does you will feel it and might have to raise it back up or make other mods to keep your driveline angles happy.

Gold379

Thanks for the info... im really looking for the best way to go about this..i hate stock i love hotrods and build sum as my hobby and now that i bought my first truck i want to incorporate sum custom parts and looks that will set it apart down the road...well I have low air leafs out back the truck is a 99 379 American classic with a 3406e and a eaton super 10..380 factory wheel base I will try to post sum pics

Gold379

image_zps463a8e28.jpg

image_zps5936e3d8.jpg

millercross3

Occupation
Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
Hey, what's goin' on here....you're stripping her...future dump box:O Somebody is exercising their thinker again:D

millercross3

Occupation
I told ya those gophers were gonna rip that bumper off. Are you putting some air cylinders on so you can flip it forward so you don't bottom out? Seen that at Wheel Jam Truck Show in Huron S.D.

Slammed379

Decided to sell the bumper and get an 18" boxed sqaure bumper. boltless. I'm not gonna put the flip bumper kit on it, I'll just try to be extra careful. Its not gonna get driven much.

millercross3

Occupation
If you can get away with a 20" do it..trust me...you'll like those two extra inches you always wanted:lmao Esp. if you are gonna put the flip kit on. She will look Ssssaweeeet! If a person only could rig up a warning light that gives you a pleasant reminder to flip the bumper up BEFORE you dump the air to you show off to friends or envious onlookers:cool:

millercross3

Occupation
I have a suspicious feeling that there are 10" miter cut stacks in your future:usa

Slammed379

There is just something that looks disgusting to me about big bumpers. 18" is the biggest I would put on. I do like miter cut stacks more than the flat tops, but at $400.00 each, I can live with the flat tops :D

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
That rascal is looking good and I might add I've learned a lot from your post and pictures. Could you guestimate amount of hours to date on this project?

Keep up the hard work. :notworthy

Slammed379

That rascal is looking good and I might add I've learned a lot from your post and pictures. Could you guestimate amount of hours to date on this project?

Keep up the hard work. :notworthy

Thank you. I'm glad you are learning from it, that's why I posted it up. I probably have about 270 hours in her so far.