• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbilt 379 Project

ValleyFirewood

The truck. I have been in Cali before and the roads weren't all that great. Seems like it would be rubbing everywhere.
Do you have to run a lowered trailer too or do normal height trailers still work out?

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
The truck. I have been in Cali before and the roads weren't all that great. Seems like it would be rubbing everywhere.
Do you have to run a lowered trailer too or do normal height trailers still work out?
Oh ok... there is lowered trucks all over the US, most are on air bags front and rear... this truck looks like it only pulls a gooseneck trailer cause I don't see a 5th wheel... it looks good to me and if Slammedtreesemdynine likes it that's all that matters...

mitch504

Hey Tonka!
Good to see you back, Man. Married life must be real good, you were gone for a year and a week.

You must be using some text to speech program, I finally figured out that Slammedtreesemdynine = slammed379. :D

How'd you get from NJ to Id? My wife will be disappointed, she was hoping you'd send her a Cake Boss cake.
Mitch

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Hey Tonka!
Good to see you back, Man. Married life must be real good, you were gone for a year and a week.

You must be using some text to speech program, I finally figured out that Slammedtreesemdynine = slammed379. :D

How'd you get from NJ to Id? My wife will be disappointed, she was hoping you'd send her a Cake Boss cake.
Mitch
Buddy da Cake Boss is over ratted over priced crap!!! Thx Mitch, I moved out here to be closer to family...

Fastdirt

Tonka, you always had the best pictures of some nice rigs. I'm thinking you had captured every truck from coast to coast and were taking a break and waiting for a new wave of rigs to hit the road.

Gold379

Wow I hadn't check back for updates on your build turned out great ...that's a hot rig bro....I got mine working and run but no where near close to complete on the mods..Lol I guess we are never done ...I wanted sum more info on the front suspension you did...that front axle you got is a direct replacement you just transferred over spindles and hubs..my truck is a 99 pete still had bud wheels ...I want to do the axle swap for a couple more inches of drop but not to low everywhere I go I'm pretty tight with clearence as is...also what's the trick for smoothing out the frame rail.llthat next in my list..I just recently got a 70in sleeper with the side windows and replacing the 63 in I want to pull old sleeper off and drill frame for new sleeper mounts smooth and paint before I put new sleeper on..any tips??

This a little update from mine

That's what I started with..lol

Over 10yr old paint hand buffed

Changed the two tone color and replaced old fenders

New drop visor

How she sit now...but not satisfied..I want more mods..lol

Got a newer sleeper cut the wings off and installed short ones

New wings installed sleeper is ready for paint now but I have to remove old sleeper first and I want to smooth out and paint frame the color of my fenders before I put new one back on...so I'm doing my research before I proceed..lol

Last edited:

Slammed379

Thanks, your truck looks great. I like the long wheelbase.

You want to install a drop axle in your truck?

What model front axle is in there now?

Slammed379

Not a huge fan of lights, but they do look awesome in the dark. Time to light this thing up, just need to figure out how to hide all of them.

437.jpg

Fastdirt

Slammed, glad you are keeping it going. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I am also a fan of the clear lights.

Fastdirt

I have removed the lights and horns and filled the holes on mine and haven't figured out how and where to go with the cab markers. I'm thinking in the visor. Also am considering the 12 ga. front bag kit. Does yours let you raise and lower the front end by 10 inches at anytime like it claims to. Really interested in your input on the front bag kit.

Slammed379

I have removed the lights and horns and filled the holes on mine and haven't figured out how and where to go with the cab markers. I'm thinking in the visor. Also am considering the 12 ga. front bag kit. Does yours let you raise and lower the front end by 10 inches at anytime like it claims to. Really interested in your input on the front bag kit.

Good question, here is the deal with the air bag. Yes, the bag does expand a lot, but I can't give you an exact measurement (it probably is 10 inches). I was disappointed in how high the front end of my truck went up, but I made a mistake. When my truck is all aired out, the 12 ga air bag is not bottomed out. What I need to do is install spacers between my air bag upper bracket and the frame rail. This would raise the truck much higher than it does now. My truck sits on the single leaf springs when the air is dumped, not the bag perch like it should. If you get the kit, set it up so your air bags are almost bottomed out (or bottomed out) when the air is dumped. This will allow for the most lift when you air up your front suspension (hopefully giving you the ten inches of lift that 12 ga claims).