• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbilt 379 Flat Top lowboy project

Landclearer

Hey Fastdirt, I missed your post until now. Man that looks good. The paint job is amazing and polished aluminum is going to set it off for sure. I am looking forward to seeing it in the sunlight once it is 100%

Fastdirt

Hey Fastdirt, I missed your post until now. Man that looks good. The paint job is amazing and polished aluminum is going to set it off for sure. I am looking forward to seeing it in the sunlight once it is 100%

Welcome to my nightmare.... and thanks. I should wake up from this soon... I too would love to see it in the sunlight lol.

Never seen a 2 piece visor before. Good idea on usinig the GoPro mount to would up the middle.

I used the suction cup after mounting the side temporarily just to see how it'd look roughly.

It's a tough job solo to do a visor but possible. I had help here and there but I've mounted it about four times. Had to remove four huck pins. Two on each side. Hate that I had to practice visor mounting techniques on my brand new paint job. It's just part of the nightmare. Should've been mocked at the shop.

I have been visor searching for a long time. This was my favorite. I noticed before buying it that it would look different on various 379's. It reveals the huck pins above the window unless forced, then it kicks it all out. The verdict is still out. I am not afraid to replace it, but I have already drilled out the huck pins.

20150119_205239.jpg

20150119_224742.jpg

20150119_230056.jpg

20150124_030034.jpg

Fastdirt

I've got all three air tanks mounted and plumbed. I used the stainless straps to replace the u-bolt mounts. I also used some heavy nylon strap cut to fit for a pad between the aluminum tanks and steel bracket it mounts up to. I don't think the factory used anything and it showed on the back side of the tanks.

P2010004.jpg

New belts and fan clutch rebuild kit. Since we installed a larger 5 core radiator there is no room to remove the clutch without removing the radiator. So I will be getting into that soon.

P2010014.jpg

I had ordered a rear sleeper window months ago. I was given a clear window but Peterbilt luckily swapped it out for a tinted window just last week. Also there is the down pipes that came with the complete exhaust kit from 4State.

P2010016.jpg

New fan, new rear window weather strip, and new weather stripping for all three doors.

P2010018.jpg

Replaced the trans cooler and I'm removing the cooling lines to be replaced. I'll have to have those built since Peterbilt says they don't sell replacements because they have rebuildable fittings.... that's what I was told. The bottom of the sleeper was undercoated while it was off the truck to be painted.

P2010019.jpg

Fastdirt

Got the windows tinted and re installed the peep window with the proper black trim. The shop had put universal trim in there that had a chrome insert and was cut to fit revealing a gap where the ends met. The peep window came with the Outlaw Customs one piece window conversion kit. Also mounting the strapless air cleaner mounts.

P2010005.jpg

I removed all the heater and A/C lines that went to the 63" sleeper. Also removed the brackets that went to the frame. I will have to repaint the frame there since I cleaned all the junk up. The front airbag lines were installed with a 90 and the lines were ran through a drilled hole by the shop so they don't loop over the top of the frame. Should clean the look up. I have the new windshield washer tank also. I am going to re paint the motor and firewall. Also going to polish the valve covers because the 3406E uses aluminum covers. Also plan to polish anything possible like the a/c and alternator. I am removing the upper brace mounted above the valve covers that support the radiator support arms. I will brace the radiator to the frame instead. Need to relocate the coolant filter. I'll be replacing the exhaust manifold with an upgrade from PDI or similar. The Cat 7205 turbo will be replaced with a bigger turbo also. Then bigger injectors to work with the re flashed ECM.

P2010007.jpg

P2010009.jpg

Does anybody have any input or advice on my plan to swap the 10 speed for an 18 speed. LKQ sells rebuilt 18 speed transmissions. I have zero experience in removing and replacing this trans with an 18. I can possibly have my mobile mechanic do it here while I help or I can wait till it's done and have the shop do it but I'd rather get it over with before mounting the exhaust and fuel tanks and the passenger side box. Are the 18 speed Eaton Fullers universal I will have to go with a RTLO18918 or more so the 18 speed rated for 2000 lbs torque or more. That number might be a an RTLO20918 maybe. I've learned the first two numbers represent the torque rating x's 100 and the last two "18" represent the speeds. Can't remember what the middle number represents. What will it take to convert to an 18 speed?

Last edited:

Fastdirt

Forgot to post this. Just when you think you're crazy somebody else makes you feel normal. This is one of the biggest truck projects ever created. This shop is about two miles from here and they will fix it all. They are not scared of anything. I have been following this project for years. It's going on six years. It's key features are a V8 Detroit supercharged and turbocharged running through a 15 speed to a 4WD transfer case. Everything is hand built. It's air bagged, the steps raise, the bed lowers like a roll off to pick up the Harley, screaming Jake brake, etc. etc. on and on. I went up there to drop of my truck this week and shot some pics. It will all be disassembled and painted and polished. All the bars will be line-X'ed flush to the diamond plate. I'll get better shots soon. But it is just a phenomenal feat for one man to build all this completely by himself. He has hand cut everything. No cheating CAD here. The suspension work is amazing. Custom five link on both ends. Can't wait to see it at a show. He has his sights set on a cover shoot. He made a cover shoot 15 years ago with an F350 running a Detroit and a Eaton trans.

20150128_144907.jpg

20150128_145114.jpg

And here is a super cool lowboy that just sold for 9k on auctiontime.. I am very much interested in this trailer. It came from Keen as a scraper transport. I would ditch the dolly and just load one machine on it. It would be great for those tight jobs. You could off load off the tail or cut some timbers to brace the frame and side load due to the drop deck if there is enough room. I think the 312 would fit perfect. I like the short length and just prefer a drop deck to keep the COG down. Maybe another will surface one day.

shorty1.jpgshorty5.jpgshorty7.jpg

Fastdirt

Movindirt, I don't know the exact specs on the trailer. I swear some of the trailers out there have no trail or details anywhere online. I've searched this trailer and anything like it and can't come up with anything. I'd call Etnyre but only if I was ready to buy one and another came available. This trailer seemed like a good deal and definitely unique. Glad you brought up the weight. I'd guess that trailer at 7 tons or less and I'd think I'd be clear with a 15 ton load but you never know.

Fastdirt

I'm not going to mount the Midwest visor. It's for sale if they won't return it. I don't think it fits worth a flip IMO. I am going to have one made by Built by Bub. He will custom make to my likes. I got my one piece mirror frames from him and am really happy with them and the attention he gives me. It might take three weeks on this though.

I removed all the wheels and tires. Sold the drive tires, louvered grille, and the old front bumper so that was nice. Still have the rest of the take off parts up for sale. I should get the new tires soon.

I finally got the transmission today and it was a good experience. They sold me an RTLO20918 18 speed, resurfaced flywheel, heavy duty 2050 lb. clutch, pilot, fork and shaft, shift knob with airlines, and the gasket for the shifter. The even offered me an old shaft for an alignment tool but I forgot to grab it. I am thinking about doing the rear engine seal while I'm in there too. They said I will need to have my driveshaft shortened 3.5".

P2200007.jpg

P2200008.jpg

P2200009.jpg

P2190266.jpg

P2190271.jpg

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Very cool project. Please keep the information coming as we are all interested in what you are doing and how you are doing it.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
be careful with that thing on jack stands like that we would hate to see pics of it on the floor. don't get to comfortable and start climbing around on it like that and knock it off the stands

"acidoil"

This is a very cool that you are doing this. I have followed your post and know you clean up your equipment and keep it at level I have never seen. The is going to be one nice truck when you get it on the road. I bet most will think its a new tricked Glider. For you it will be like driving your Classic Corvette Show car to work everyday. Keep the updates coming.
John

Fastdirt

Thanks, Multi. I hope to keep it interesting. It should be picking up in progress now.

acidoil, thanks. I definitely share your thoughts. I think this truck will be like a classic and a glider. It's going to be tough to work out of it especially on a day when it pours down rain on us and we have to load up. That can get pretty messy. I hope to keep it really clean for a few months at first.

Finally just got the Moto Mirrors I ordered a month ago. I didn't know they were made to order until I went to purchase them. Being able to adjust the mirrors has definitely been part of the master plan of making it as easy as possible to drive. They came with a joystick that controls both sides and heat. I really like the looks of them. I think they will look good with the big stacks and strapless air cleaners for a smooth look.

P2220281.jpg

P2220289.jpg

P2220288.jpg

I got the ECM back. This is something I'm really looking forward to feeling in the seat. I was researching ECM re rates long before I bought the truck. I got connected with the right guy who re flashes these ECM's. It is now set at 600HP and 2050 lbs. torque along with pre nox files and/or whatever he did. I don't know the exacts but I trust him completely and was told it was as hot as it could get. I have the Power Box still hooked up but we'll see how it runs on the new flash alone. The good thing is you can leave the power box off.

P2270298.jpg

About to pull the 10 speed out. I've already removed the shifter, driveshaft, and lines. I got this jack from Harbor Freight. It's rated for 1 ton and looks pretty stout. The trans should be just under 1/2 ton. Gonna be tough I know.

P2270307.jpg

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
there you go under the truck screwing with it on the jack stands at least lay some old rims under the wheels or something not trying to be a ***** just don't want to read about you !!!!!

overworked

We have used the same jack on occasion, make sure u strap trans to the jack, better off with a sheet of tin on that plywood, and a stream of it out from under the truck. Good or luck.

Rustedcutlery

Fast dirt,
Iv been thinking about the 12ga customs air ride steer axle setup for my truck, I need to do something to get it to ride better, probably needs shocks too. When you get her rolllin, Inwould like to hear your thoughts on yours.

still learn'n

And here is a super cool lowboy that just sold for 9k on auctiontime.. I am very much interested in this trailer. It came from Keen as a scraper transport. I would ditch the dolly and just load one machine on it. It would be great for those tight jobs. You could off load off the tail or cut some timbers to brace the frame and side load due to the drop deck if there is enough room. I think the 312 would fit perfect. I like the short length and just prefer a drop deck to keep the COG down. Maybe another will surface one day.

View attachment 130302View attachment 130303View attachment 130304[/QUOTE]

Fastdirt there is a contractor around here that has an older triaxle lowboy that has ramps on it but I don't know what brand it is

Fastdirt

Well I got it out. Thanks for the insight and cautions. I'll definitely have it strapped tight to the jack before I install the other trans overworked. When I went to use the chain it was too short. I had some help from a cargo strap. It was not too bad but it wasn't easy either.
I'll let you know all about the air ride Rusted. I have not been able to get actual ride or lift info on the setup myself. I'll post it up when it's done. 12 ga. is not much help I will say. Still learn the trailer caught my attention because of it's short length, low height, along with the rear tail and at a great auction price. Finding a rear beaver tail is rare on a drop deck or detach. Eager Beavers have quite a few out there but not many. Premium price for those usually.

P3010320.jpg

P3010322.jpg

The Pete Suite couldn't be an inch smaller really. Got lucky here.

P3010335.jpg

Glad to see this.

P3010342.jpg