• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbilt 379 Flat Top lowboy project

Fastdirt

The 12 ga air ride kit is on. They also put in a high hp 5 core radiator and a/c condenser. They had the hood in the paint booth tonight. It has already been painted underneath and should be the first piece to get new paint. We have the replacement insulation pads, splash guards, roller guides etc. The sleeper finally has all the factory window frames in and the entire sleeper has been completely worked by removing all the huck bolts and sanded down to flat.

DSC01398 (640x480).jpg

DSC01401 (640x480).jpg

DSC01407 (640x480).jpg

DSC01408 (640x480).jpg

DSC01415 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

Some pictures flipped but I wanted to show the rear frame and fender brackets. They did a good job with the fender brackets and filled the frame holes. The cab, frame and rear fenders are going to paint as soon as the sleeper and doors are done.... they said.....but since it's been 3 months already who knows. I was told 2 months turn key. They work is good and the painter is supposed to be the best around so we will see. I had carried all my parts to them for them to install which was a trailer full and all of that work was in my original estimate but they have 25 bays full of greener money I guess. I loaded it all up tonight because I can finish it faster and I just can't take it anymore.

I'm sick of seeing this hood like this but it really looks good and has been prepped right.
DSC01399 (640x480).jpg

The frame and all should be painted the next time I see it.
DSC01418 (640x480).jpg

Here's all my stuff again. That was a job alone.
DSC01402 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• 20141104_122657 (640x360).jpg
    20141104_122657 (640x360).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 2,110
  • pete.jpg
    pete.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,110

joispoi

Thanks for the pics. (Is this the most followed 379 project truck on the net? :notworthy)

There's always someone who can do a job faster (or cheaper). It's not as easy to find someone who can do it right.

Think of it this way, the added time will give you a chance to finish the extension on your garage so you can park it inside. :cool2

Fastdirt

Looks like an awesome project. Looks expensive!!!!:cool:

Thanks. The reality is the project simply escalated due to the fact that I dropped it off in Dec. 2013 and now we are at a year. Being that it took so long allowed for all of it to happen. In the beginning I was expecting a couple months in the shop to just shorten the wheelbase throw a 36" sleeper on it and hook it to the trailer and go to work. Now it is going to be worthy of a resto mod. So in the end the truck is going to be completely restored and modified whereas it would have never gotten done if the original scope of work was completed on schedule and correct.

Thanks for the pics. (Is this the most followed 379 project truck on the net? :notworthy)

There's always someone who can do a job faster (or cheaper). It's not as easy to find someone who can do it right.

Think of it this way, the added time will give you a chance to finish the extension on your garage so you can park it inside. :cool2

It is definitely the "most" something... I'd have to go with the most cursed.

Lol, did I already mention extending the garage... my good friend happens to be a carpenter. He is self employed and has the whole mobile setup. He can pull out nail guns, compressors, saws, and tool belts in 30 minutes. He is coming Saturday morning. We should have the extension enclosed, roofed, and with barn doors and holding heat in no time. As soon as the paint dries and the hood and doors are mounted on the truck I'm picking it up.

Yesterday he painted the hood. Base, 3906 Clear Coat, and baked.

Cell phone pics

CAM01107 (480x640).jpg

CAM01108 (480x640).jpg

CAM01115 (480x640).jpg

CAM01116 (480x640).jpg

The original fender steps spent their life behind those stainless stone guards. The Peterbilt replacements are more streamlined.
20141119_190905.jpg

Last edited:

AlldayRJ

Are you on instagram? You would love it, tons of sick trucks like this and truckers who take pride in their ride. If you join follow me, rjfalconemasonry

Sawdus22

Are you on instagram? You would love it, tons of sick trucks like this and truckers who take pride in their ride. If you join follow me, rjfalconemasonry

I agree instagram is the bomb. I look at it all the time...it's so entertaining. Fastdirt look into it....I miss seeing your pictures and its way easier uploading them.

02Dmax

Love seeing progress fastdirt! Nothing like finally building something the way you want. I think I'm going to get instagram too. Lol

Fastdirt

I signed up for instagram this morning. It IS very easy. Loading pics here is torture. It takes me hours to post here. I have to resize every picture and then I have doubles all over my PC because I have the standard size and the HEF size. I like the instagram minus all that shallow pop culture mess. Instagram is lightning fast. I signed up as brianbilt. I captured some shots this morning then got away to check on the pete and back to the job. I feel like kimkartrashian now. LOL.

The sleeper is getting painted tomorrow. Then the cab and chassis on Tuesday. They have to paint the rear fenders too. They used factory Peterbilt black. They have to reskin my doors now. At first the body man cut new skins out of scrap. I just didn't realize he had just slapped them on top of my old skins. I discovered it last week. Called them out on it and they have new factory skins coming. Jeez....... never again. I swear I am going to open a custom rig build shop here.... somebody should.

http://instagram.com/brianbilt

Last edited:

nedly05

I just started doing Instagram my self. User name is nedwhitney. Glad to be able to follow you guys on there!

Fastdirt

The painter sent these pics yesterday after painting the sleeper.

CAM01118.jpgCAM01120.jpgCAM01124.jpgCAM01126.jpgCAM01127.jpg

Fastdirt

The paint shop said they will be finished with the paint the week after thanksgiving. I have extended my shop by 8' so it will fit in there secured and dry. My friend really helped me out on this one. He is coming back to build the roof on Wednesday. Roll up doors are very affordable I've just discovered so that will take care of sealing it off. I will find a cheap roll of carpet to put down too. I will be setting everything on this truck myself, fuel tanks, step boxes, the 8" exhaust from the manifold, air tanks, etc.. everything really. Still have to plumb the air ride and wire and plumb the pintle hitch. I will be all under that thing so I think a roll of carpet will keep things like the fuel tanks safe and my back.

IMG_20141122_171844.jpg

IMG_20141122_183916.jpg

IMG_20141122_185316.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Fast dirt,how are things going been watching from afar? Do you get nasty winter weather in your part of the country?

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
would love to see the instagram pictures but the link doesn't work and I can't find that user name either?

EDIT Ahhhhh found you. the extra bit helps

Last edited:

Fastdirt

After 13 months in the shop it's finally home. I finished the addition on the garage. It's enough to fit the truck in there with the hood open. I put carpet down and wired a 240v heater and it turned out pretty good. I have a lot of work left but it's all in good hands finally.

CAM01400.jpg

CAM01402.jpg

IMG_20150109_082325.jpg

IMG_20150109_205545.jpg

IMG_20150109_205626.jpg