1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Peterbilt 379 Flat Top lowboy project

Discussion in 'Showtime!' started by Fastdirt, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Karnage_56

Karnage_56 New Member

Looks good. I was talking to you a couple months ago about your twin set up on Instagram. I'm running the big perkins as a single right now but looking you upgrade to a twin setup. You were gonna try to get back to me on the specs on the smaller turbo. Let me know if you can get the specs on it, it would help me out greatly.

2. Fastdirt

Fastdirt Senior Member

3. Wes J

Wes J Senior Member

Just when you think life can't get any worse...

4. zhkent

zhkent Senior Member

Earthmoving
    That truck is going to be a work of art!
    It should have a lot of value with the parts and all the work you've done.
    Best of luck getting it wrapped up.

5. Sterff

Sterff Member

That sucks about the visors. Just keep plugging away and the project will be done soon. Then you can enjoy it. Im currently restoring a tractor and it's one setback after another.

6. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Well, I am certainly looking forward to seeing you get this project done and start driving it. You are going to have one nice truck when it is done.

7. Fastdirt

Fastdirt Senior Member

Ok Karnage, I tried to get the specs and called PDI and they don't like to give that info out because of all the work they put into the kits. I do know the high pressure small turbo is a "stage 1" and it's a 78mm BW and the big turbo is a Perkins "stage 3". Now upon calling them I found out that they have changed the small turbo to a stainless steel turbo that they were using on the ISX twin kit. Now the CAT and ISX share the same turbos with different tubing obviously. They are getting back to me on the possibility of going to that turbo. I might just have this one for sale but we will see.

Means a lot. I hope to have a video here soon of it fired up and going and then I will keep them coming.

I know it. It's almost a curse but moving on to better days. One day at a time. One little project at a time. Trying to assess it all at one time is too much. Crazy how you can get sucked in much like the tractor restoration your doing I'm sure. I can tell you one thing never again... unless I decide to do it for a living and make money doing it.

Jerry, as always I appreciate compliments and encouragement. Hope all is well out there.

8. toppgunn

toppgunn Member

Hey there. I've been watching this thread for a Lil while. Have you made any more progress on the truck? This thing is looking awsome. It will be cool to see it when it is finished. I've been wrenching and doing body and chassis work on trucks my whole life so this project really caught my eye . Actually ......I wound up finding this forum when is saw an image of your truck on a Google search. :))

9. coolcatman1

coolcatman1 Active Member

Any more progress on your Pete I've been watching this thread and now I am restoring a Pete 379exhd flat top as well

10. ScottAR

ScottAR Senior Member

Seems he gathered his marbles and went home in another thread.

11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Anyone heard from fast dirt? I was following him on instagram looks like he deleted that as well??

12. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Yeah he got his feathers ruffled over something - Haven't heard from him since.:beatsme

13. movindirt

movindirt Senior Member

Yeah, he deleted Instagram, for I think it must be the 3rd or 4th time now, I don't get whats going on with him...

14. D&GExcavating

D&GExcavating Senior Member

I was wondering what happened to him on Instagram. I enjoyed seeing the updates on this truck, I think he even took my advice for the valve cover decals.

15. JNB

JNB Senior Member

Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
    Well, we never know what's going on in someone's life. Hopefully everything is going good and he'll be back. I did enjoy his thread updates.

16. Fastdirt

Fastdirt Senior Member

How bout it y'all. I'm definitely not going to leave this thread dead. I hate when people don't follow up with their build threads. Time flies, hard to believe its been 8 months since I posted any progress. I've made decent progress but got hung up on this other build that I've taken on. Actually the other truck, the Ford LTL9000 is more of a restoration. So I have two huge projects going right now and will have them finished before Thanksgiving. The LTL9000 should be done in about month and then I'll jump back on the Peterbilt. I'm basically making them brothers. I have matching 8" stacks, matching 20" tapered bumpers, matching pairs of Bostrom wide ride seats, etc. etc. The LTL having the last mechanical Cat motor(3406C mechanical) ever put in a truck and the Pete having the last free breathing electronic Cat motor(6NZ). Everything is here to complete these projects and I don't need anything but time at this. One of my biggest hang ups was the intake for the compound turbo setup. I ordered a bunch of 7" pipe from Truck Pipes USA and me and my welder got it all figured out.

Just ordered a custom built lowboy from Eager Beaver that will take about two months to complete. It's a 35GSL with the beaver tail, detach, custom 8'6" wide deck on the neck, recessed beams throughout the entire center, boom well, bucket pocket, strobes, power pack, and mostly important the custom length. It will only have an 18' well. My Witzco has a 22'6" well by comparison. The shorter trailer along with my shorter wheelbase on the truck should be what I'm looking for.

20160401_134750.jpg
    20160401_164413.jpg
    20160401_173543.jpg
    IMG_20160408_064907.jpg
    20160903_135421.jpg

17. Fastdirt

Fastdirt Senior Member

The LTL. Tore the whole truck down. Re skinned the back of the sleeper and cut in a Peterbilt window. Had the rear fabbed up just like the Peterbilt. All 1" plate with a 50 ton pintle and 2.5" receiver.

20160624_144738.jpg
    20160629_201454.jpg
    20160712_193613.jpg
    20160714_151025.jpg
    20160822_192034.jpg

18. JNB

JNB Senior Member

Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
    Awesome man...Glad to see you back!

The turbo / intercooler pipe work is absolutely beautiful.

19. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Glad to see you back posting an update.

I hope life is treating you well.

You are sure doing some first class work.

20. blowerman

blowerman Well-Known Member

Thanks for coming back with an update! Love following your pics.