• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Permits for moving equipment

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
All you NJ guys did you hear about the new law that if you move a machine over 100,000LBS you have to go to the state and tell them your exact route and get the permits for them. If you move experised heavy hauler guys can help me I have a question.

1. What if there is a detour on the route that your are taking do oyu have to go back to the state and ask them if you can take another route. CAN YOU GUYS HLEP ME WITH THIS!!!!!!!!

rigandig

Case 580E, Not sure about NJ, but in most cases the state will give you a route that they expect you to run. If you deter from that route then you are in violation of your permit. If the detour is something that was just put in place, such as in the case of an accident, then you should park, speak with the police/dot or call the permit office and ask for their direction. Better safe than sorry. Generally, I just set and wait them out. It's not very prudent to go off down some side road that you're not familar with, without a valid permit. To many unknowns, restricted bridges, low underpasses.
If the detour has been in place for any length of time, then the permit office should know and have that on your permit. When in doubt, give them a call. Better safe than sorry

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Case 580E, Not sure about NJ, but in most cases the state will give you a route that they expect you to run. If you deter from that route then you are in violation of your permit. If the detour is something that was just put in place, such as in the case of an accident, then you should park, speak with the police/dot or call the permit office and ask for their direction. Better safe than sorry. Generally, I just set and wait them out. It's not very prudent to go off down some side road that you're not familar with, without a valid permit. To many unknowns, restricted bridges, low underpasses.
If the detour has been in place for any length of time, then the permit office should know and have that on your permit. When in doubt, give them a call. Better safe than sorry

Well this law just went in place 2 weeks ago. Probly half the heavy haulers around here never herd of it. Ill just stick to my tag along with my backhoe and dozer.

rigandig

Case 580E, I just was on the phone with the permit clerk thaat I deal with and asked her if there had been any changes in NJ regarding heavy permits. She said that there were no new changes there. NJ permits are issued without routes for over size (wide,long, or high only) as they always have. With weight, you used to not submit a route and they would issue the permit , but they did change that to wher you have to submit a route , they check the routes, and issue the permit if the routes are ok'd by their bridge/dot dept. If not, they deny the permit, and you have to re-submit another route, and if approved they issue the permit. The route submission , etc was something that came about about a year or so ago. There may be some sort of annual or semi annual or monthly o/s permit they have that can be used if you live there, or do a large number of moves there.
Anyway, thanks for the headsup. Always good to stay ahead of the 8 ball.

Essayons

I just received permits from Maryland to Mississippi. One of the routes i gave, in Virginia i think, they corrected them to the routes they wanted me to take. In other words, i submitted the route i wanted to take and when i received the permit it showed the route they provided for me. It didn't deviate much from my proposed route, but it wasn't the one i requested.

rigandig

Essayons, That's the way it should work. And most states work that way.They usually have fairly up to dat info on lane closures, construction, etc. And then you get the intern/summer help generated permits that put you thru the wrong route and then come the OOPS situations.

Essayons

Very true, i have been routed some weird ways before. Many of the routes never made sense, like being routed off the interstate to go through a one horse town on a two lane highway. WHY?

rigandig

Ya never know. Could be construction, low impact bridge, low underpass, and then there that summer intern thing. There are evn provisions for high traffic volume areas. Ya just never know. Like joining the Navy, it's an adventure.

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Case 580E, I just was on the phone with the permit clerk thaat I deal with and asked her if there had been any changes in NJ regarding heavy permits. She said that there were no new changes there. NJ permits are issued without routes for over size (wide,long, or high only) as they always have. With weight, you used to not submit a route and they would issue the permit , but they did change that to wher you have to submit a route , they check the routes, and issue the permit if the routes are ok'd by their bridge/dot dept. If not, they deny the permit, and you have to re-submit another route, and if approved they issue the permit. The route submission , etc was something that came about about a year or so ago. There may be some sort of annual or semi annual or monthly o/s permit they have that can be used if you live there, or do a large number of moves there.
Anyway, thanks for the headsup. Always good to stay ahead of the 8 ball.

I try. dont want any surprise tickets exspechially when times are this bad.