• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins white smoke

joe--h

My first youtube !

Whatcha think? Low on power & smoke. A4-236 Perkins, 1990 model.
Exhaust stack is off as it goes through the hood.

Thanks for your thoughts, Joe H

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The white smoke leads me to think you have an air leak in a fuel suction line. Check for that first. If the tank is higher than the pump, look for wet/damp spots on the lines when the engine isn't running.

Delmer

What's the history of this thing? You could try loosening the injector lines at the injector one at a time with it running and see if any of them make the smoke go away or drop a bunch, and/or don't affect the sound of the engine as much as the other injectors do.

Vetech63

Looks to be a bad injector possibly. Make sure you don't have an air restriction on the air intake system also. Is this engine turbocharged?

joe--h

All injectors respond the same, don't see any fuel leaks between tank and injector pump. Air filters fairly new. Non turbo.
How would an air leak cause the smoke?
Diesel dummy here.
Joe H

Delmer

Air will cause the injection timing etc. to be messed up and it will misfire, resulting in unburned fuel going out the exhaust.

How many hours? how long have you had it? how many hours have you put on it? how long has it been acting like this?

joe--h

Hour meter says 2200+ I've had it about 6 years, put a couple hundred on it. Always smoked but got worse both smoke and low power.
Used to belong to an Indian reservation, used and abused? Turns over unevenly like a low cyl.
I'm guessing hours are right as it still has one OE rear tire, a made in England Goodyear. Unless they used to import them?
Joe H

TVA

Was this machine sitting long time?
Could be fuel quality issue.

Delmer

Check the blowby on a cold day, you'll see water vapor puffing which is expected, but you want to see if it blows a big puff in time with the engine, and also if it's blowing any oil mist out with the blowby gasses. comparing to another engine is the best way to judge blowby.

Probably time to pull the injectors, get them checked, test the compression. You could try playing with the timing, and check the fuel pressure. There's a screen inside the inlet on the injection pump, check that after you've checked the fuel pressure, filter.

joe--h

Has not been sitting, fuel is fresh. Blow by is minimal.
Probably time to pull the head and have a look see. Sounds like fun.
Maybe I can be this month's entertainment asking for help & then ignoring the advice.
30+ years a mechanic, but Jags not diesels.
Joe H

TVA

You can try and use “cylinder leak down tester” try to adapt it to glow plug threads. Got to time every cylinder for that though.

joe--h

No glow plugs.
Pulled the head, ton of fun. Bore looks good, these valves not so good. Looks like sucking a little oil down the valve guides.
Joe H
head 022.JPG head 023.JPG

joe--h

Perkins parts where? Google gives me dozens of so far useless links, but no OE parts that show what I want.
Except this one https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/valve-train-components-for-perkins-4236-engines
They list 5 different intake valves from $10 to $43. All are Perkins OE but no info as to what they are, all are for a 4.236 engine.
Found a couple of kits cheap, valves, springs, guides, keepers for around $100 so I'm guessing China.
Better OE than Chinee he said.
Help ! Joe H

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Like most manuf. Perkins goes off of engine SERIAL numbers.. gotta have that to get the right parts.
THEN call the dealer parts counter.

joe--h

Nearest dealer is about 200 miles. Last time we talked the parts guy told me they really don't want to know about 1990 backhoes.
Sent the serial number with a request for quote to dieselpartsdirect, see what they say.
Maybe I should send the pump off to the guy with the invisible new shop and have it looked at as long as I have it apart?
Joe H

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe I should send the pump off to the guy with the invisible new shop and have it looked at as long as I have it apart?
Joe H

If you are talking about thepumpguy on the forums I would suggest talking with him, or who ever you might be sending it to, before starting to remove it. Some times a little information up front can save hours of trouble latter on when installing rebuilt pump.

joe--h

If you are talking about thepumpguy on the forums I would suggest talking with him, or who ever you might be sending it to, before starting to remove it. Some times a little information up front can save hours of trouble latter on when installing rebuilt pump.
That's the guy, still waiting for a picture of the new shop though. How do I send him an email? Or is that the "Start a conversation" thingee?
Joe H
Edit - found his email with the search thing. Magic

Last edited:

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
That's the guy, still waiting for a picture of the new shop though. How do I send him an email? Or is that the "Start a conversation" thingee?
Joe H
Edit - found his email with the search thing. Magic
I thought he put up some pics of the plywood painted.... unless I'm thinking of a different shop... :)