• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins Diesel Engine injector O-Rings gone hard within 2 days!!

Hazhar

Guys,

Could anyone help me with injector O-rings from perkins engine that after replacement have gone hard and broken within few days. They were fine for years and then were worn out had to replace them with new one and again gone hard and broken again.

Perkins Generators
HEUI 459-8473 injectors

Regards
Hazhar

Attachments

• injector.jpg
    injector.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 32

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
R u replacing them yourself.??
R u getting them from a Perkins dealer.??
R they coming in a Perkins bag.??
I’m thinking, if they’re not coming in a Perkins bag, your getting sold aftermarket.??
Or if they r coming in a Perkins bag, it’s time to explore some aftermarket options.??
Dipaco, Reliabuilt..??

Hazhar

R u replacing them yourself.??
R u getting them from a Perkins dealer.??
R they coming in a Perkins bag.??
I’m thinking, if they’re not coming in a Perkins bag, your getting sold aftermarket.??
Or if they r coming in a Perkins bag, it’s time to explore some aftermarket options.??
Dipaco, Reliabuilt..??

Do you think oil type or brand could be of a change, or where can I find which type of oil should i use??

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Slow down. Went from o-rings to engine oil in three posts. Lol.

Let’s figure out the o-ring issue, first.

Actually, how about a introduction? Tell us about yourself and how you found HEF.

Hazhar

Slow down. Went from o-rings to engine oil in three posts. Lol.

Let’s figure out the o-ring issue, first.

Actually, how about a introduction? Tell us about yourself and how you found HEF.

Thanks Mate,

I am Hazhar, am a mechanical engineer, living in Erbil Kurdistan/Iraq.

I have been searching for information on Engine maintenance and so on, that is how I found about HEF.

Hazhar

Guys,

I have replaced O-rings recently because it was mixing oil & diesel, So I got the O-rings replaced but within few days same problem occurred. I myself thought of Oil type could have affected the O-rings because the O-rings I purchased are not Original but they were meant to be good quality.

The O-rings I talk about are from a HEUI injector in Perkins Engine Generator.

What else could have hardened the O-rings?
Could I have stressed them while I installed them? Could stressing it then lead to have harden ?

Thanks In advance.

Coaldust

Occupation
Hazhar,

Welcome. The HEUI injectors see a lot of heat. The new o-rings you installed are probably a generic BUNA-N rubber material rated for 250 degree F and the heat caused the rubber to fail. The original factory installed o-rings are a proprietary viton blend (FMK). Which handles the heat much better.

I highly recommend sourcing original equipment parts, in this instance. Which, may be very challenging where you work. Or, try finding some viton o-rings.

Make sure to lubricate the injectors with engine oil before installing the new o-rings.

lantraxco

As I recall the O-rings on HEUI injectors are usually colored, Viton is usually brown or green, though I may remember red, orange, yellow somewhere along the line. Manufacturers like to mess with things.

Coaldust

Occupation
Sealing HEUI injectors was a big issue in the early days. Look at all the updates and service bulletins from Ford, International Cat/Perkins over the years before a supplier was found to make a reliable seal.

Allied Metrics Seals & Fasteners in New Jersey manufactures most of the OEM Ford, International & Cat HEUI injector o-ring kits, in those beautiful neon, pastel rainbow colors. I think to aid with proper install ID, more than anything.

Coaldust

Occupation
I’ve tried the NAPA kits for the 7.3 PSD with bad results. Re-branded Doorman. I get about six months before they start leaking. Others have told me the same thing. Not sure where Doorman sources them.

What’s my point? Stick with OEM or purchase Allied kits.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'll second Coaldust's comments about sealing HEUI injectors.

Unless you use OEM seals (or seals made from the same material as used by the OEM) they will not last at all - as you have found. Regular black nitrile O-Ring material will not resist the heat in an engine cylinder head.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm going out on a limb and speculate a bit here.
The Perkins Part Number in your photo (459-8473) is the same format as a Caterpillar Part Number would be. I suppose that should not be surprising, as Cat owns Perkins.
However the particular Part Number does not appear in Caterpillar's online parts system.

Looking online (Amazon) I found the same Part Number of injector listed for sale. The interesting thing is that all the advertisments I came across also stated that the same injector was suitable for a Cat C-9 engine.
If that is true, and you have a Cat dealer local to you, then Caterpillar OEM O-Rings for a C-9 HEUI injector MIGHT JUST fit your Perkins injector.
https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-C9-Perkins-Injector-459-8473/dp/B08LQ76BDZ

Can you take a photo from the side of the injector showing the locations of the O-Rings and the copper sealing washer (if it has one).?