• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pegson Tracked Plant Info, Pictures and related questions

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
I want to start a thread to get info on Pegson Track plants. :confused: I am working on a business plan to start a small tracked crusher rental business :beatsme. Specifically I want to target the smaller plants i.e. metrotrak jaw and sr1000 cone. I believe there is a small niche to be filled in the 0-10,000 tons of product and lower production over a longer period of time. I have experience repairing and working around many different Pegson/Powerscreen products including, premiertrak and metrotrak jaw, 42/428 impactors, 1400 and 1800 warrior screens, 1000 and 1300 cones. I by no means have enough experience to say what all can go wrong with these plants or comparisons with other manufacturers plants so that is the information I am after.

1) What is your experience with aftermarket support for MetroTrak and Sr1000?
2) What is your experience with O.E. support for these machines?
3) Things to look for when buying one of these machines used?
4) Am crazy to want to get into this niche market?
5) Absolutely any and all information about Pegson plants and the tracked crusher rental business!
6) This thread would be a great place to put pictures of Pegson's in action or being repaired!
7) This thread would be a great place to put links or information on aftermarket parts sources!

Thanks,

TIO

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I had a pegson 1100x650 premier track on my books... It's around 45tons.
It was abused and beaten but still kept working.
Must have pulled in ten times what it cost easy. A really reliable machine. Had an issue with the hfo clutch which was a bit of a trauma (was a delay on a replacement part so had to get creative) and an issue with the electric spools. Overall I rate the after sales support (in the uk)
I'll try and find some images. I changed the jaws and cheek plates and gave it a bit of a birthday only a month ago.
Also had a Pegson impactor as a secondary in a limestone pit. Man that thing took some hammer... Was a little small for the application really but delivered the goods.

Last edited:

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I also had two locotracks on my books years ago... Think they could have been 205s but can't remember. I do remember them being a headache and over complicated.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I've worked on some Kleeman units too. Mobitrax 110 and the larger evo. I personally didn't like the way they are, diesel electric, seems over complicated for what they are. Not sure if that reflects a saving in running costs?
Performance wise they seemed ok. After sales support in the uk was lacking but they were not that common.

Sorry to not really directly answer your question!
But, are you crazy to want in? No, I certainly would given half a chance!
Things to look for... They take some hammer, so anything that looks out of place. The superstructure being bent, or conveyor being bent. Will be a real headache if it ever has been... Been there, worn that t shirt! Apart from that, I reckon they are good to work with (mostly) physically pretty straight forward, and built to take a beating.

Last edited:

theironoracle

Occupation
4-4-2011 188.jpg
This is the 2nd or 3rd time for the swing jaw to come out of this machine! Since this picture it has been done again. The job always includes new bearings and a new shaft. They often make 2" minus with it, you adjust the jaw until you can hear the tick-tick of the dies just touching each other and you get 2" minus but its a little unhealthy for it! The economics are there to justify it however it usually takes a cone to reduce that far so the savings in not having the second machine there more than pays for $25-$30,000 in repairs. I now recommend they cut reliefs in there toggle plates so they fail first, the toggle plate in this machine has NEVER failed as I think they are suppose to......TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
Simonsrplant, The driven side (belt side) fixed bearing siezes or smokes. So you pull it all out, inspect everything and find a hairline crack between the first fixed bearing and the first swing bearing. At the opposite end the bearings are almost good enough to reuse ($2000 each) but I always find at least light bruising. The very first time this failed the shaft was not replaced but I'm guessing the crack was there. IMHO I believe with proper procedure, this jaw can crush rock being this tight without this failure. 1) hourly temp readings on jaw bearings 2) custom toggle plate 3) never starting the jaw without clearing the jamb first.........TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
iphone pics 1-18-13 319.JPG

Here is the picture of the last broken shaft. By far this is the worst I have ever seen, usually you have to get things super clean and sometimes use developer or heat to convince yourself there is a hair line crack.....TIO

This is a premiertrak 27x44 jaw with a c-9? cat engine which the engine has given excellent service.......TIO

Last edited:

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Just done some numbers, your 27x44 is near enough my 1100x650 so were on similar sizes...
So was it never greased?
Agree with all you're saying above about custom toggle plate (although I have changed one on one of these) and checking temps etc.
I've had problems from the pull back rod ends failing and the associated carriers...
I've always enforced serious (over) greasing on the main swing bearings.
Agree with the C9 set up, works really reliably.

theironoracle

Occupation
Simonsrplant, yes it gets tons of grease as far as I know and it appears. At one time the schedule was about every 3 hrs while it was running , i built extension tubes so you could grease the swinger while it was moving. Now at least once I showed up and one of the hoses was gone no one knew when or where it was???....supervising the help is not in my job description and if the owner is happy I'm happy!!! Yes to 1100x1600 as far as I know they are identical just different stickers on this side of Atlantic....TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
Starting the search for a machine to purchase pegson (metrotrak aka 24x36 aka 600x900). I have spent hours scouring the Internet, looking at all my options and compiling pricing and condition info. From the HEF viewers I need from you to keep yours eyes open for local machines sitting around or for sale or adds for auctions other than r-bros, I-planet. Anything will help, post links or PM me. Thanks.....TIO

tctractors

A local Crusher Co' to me had 3 of these main shafts fail on 3 of their crushers in 2 months, I think the shafts needed £17'000 a lump to buy, but anyone shutting the jaw down to 50mm is realy in for trouble, the minimum recomended is usualy around the 75mm=3" with any fancy size screened off.
tctractors

theironoracle

Occupation
I was thinking about my rental business once it gets going. I was wondering how you guys thought I should charge for or deal with jaw die wear? Do you have any experience with this? What is the current norm for charging for wear on a rental Jaw? Thanks as always...............TIO

FSERVICE

I was thinking about my rental business once it gets going. I was wondering how you guys thought I should charge for or deal with jaw die wear? Do you have any experience with this? What is the current norm for charging for wear on a rental Jaw? Thanks as always...............TIO

I have a buddy that uses a mic & measures how much wear & charges that way for wear.. I tell him he just guesses but it seems to work for him.

theironoracle

Occupation
I was thinking I would keep it in the rental rate to begin with and if it became an issue with customers complaining about having better jaw dies then I would deal with it per customer. I know on the cone liners all rental guys charge for that but that is easier because you just close the cone down all the way to get an overall height measurement before then after and charge accordingly. F-service I would be curious about your buddy does he rent his own equipment? How is it working out for him? what manufacturer does he run? Thanks again.............TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
I may be having a possible change of heart. I have been taking some long hard looks at the KPI-JCI 2650 and 2640 jaws. I couldn't possibly beat the support in the U.S. These thing seem to be built with off the shelf components (also used in wheeled and stationary plants), something that isn't true as far as I can see with the pegson brand. This would take a lot of risk out of getting them repaired when they do fail. Same problem exist with locating the lighter weight plant (2640) as with the metrotrak, either there wasn't as many built or people hold on to them longer and don't sell them? It seems to be there are about 8 50ton plants available for sale for every 40 ton plant. What do you guys think about this situation? Who knows the pros and cons of the pioneer fasttrax plants? any thoughts?......TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
I made an offer on a metrotrak! Ill probably be in the track crusher rental business by the end of the month:confused: hopefully it will pan out to be a good thing. I know the odds are better than Vegas. Ill update as things develop.

TIO