• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PC300-8 do not start in the morning

jey_c

This komatsu PC300-8 has SA6D114E-3 engine, bosch common rail fuel system. In the morning, it doesn't start unless I spray starting aid. It is not col ou there 20 to 35 degree C (68 to 95 F). Once started it works good but if I stop the engine it dosen't start again. If anyone encountered this let me know.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm not sure if there are many people here with experience on that machine. Around here the dealers are keeping any information they have on Tier 3 and up engines to themselves.

Is that engine one of the Cummins clones. It sounds like the "C" series units we find in a lot of different machines around here.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Sounds like fuel line problems, loosing its prime due to not holding pressure some where. A friend had a similar problem, replaced all his fuel lines and that took care of it.

FSERVICE

I had 1 do this last fall, it was a fitting on the fuel filter housing!! only took a few days to figure it out cause it wasn't leaking any fuel out just letting air in!!!!!

daterplant

Occupation
earthmoving repair business owner
Bit of info, changed a set of injectors in a PC300-8 today, as it was I had a workshop manual.
To remove the injectors first you have to remove the high pressure tubes that runs through the cylinder head to each injector, remove the line from the common rail to each injector, then remove the retaining nut and pull out the tube which goes through the head to each injector.
Remove rockers, injector hold down bolts then pull out injectors, I used a common bearing puller to go under the injector bottom flange, and welded a nut to the top of the puller to attach a slide hammer, worked good.
Without a workshop manual the chances are the tubes would be left in and when trying to remove the injectors they would get damaged along with the tubes.
Thought I had better pass on this info just I case you have to remove the injectors.

jey_c

Thanks a lot, I have already done this on 107-1 engine used on 290-8. By the way why you are changing injectors, is it bad injectors causing black smoke? or like mine not starting?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have heard that the injector lines have to be replaced once they are loosened. The story is they are only for a single tightening and will leak. Is that true?

jey_c

Yes indeed, in fact there is one feed line for each injector and the seal surface between feed line and injector is kind of a taper shape that's why it should be changed but sometimes if examined properly and there is no damage to the taper end it could be used but I prefer and I have always changed it once removed.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
ive done prolly a dozen sets of injectors and re uses the tubes and havent had an issure yet.
as far as your starting issue, do you have transfer pump pressure, should have around 1.5 to 2.5 bar of fuel.
watch your rail pressure while cranking it, that can tell you a lot.

daterplant

Occupation
earthmoving repair business owner
I'm not familiar with this machines problems, what I've been told is that it is low on power and Komatsu have been out to check it, finding a possible injector fault. I was given a box of new injectors and a workshop manual late on Friday to do the job Saturday morning. I don't think it had a starting issue.
Few months ago I worked on a Cat924g different machine totally different fuel system however the starting problem was the same would only start on either, hot or cold engine, long story short, they changed just about everything pump, injectors etc, they reckon it was some corrosion around the fuse box area, all was good for a few weeks then again won't start, knowing this when I had a look at it, first thing I done was pull out the fuse box and check, what I found was some of the wires had been chewed through by rats or what ever but had not broken the wires, repaired the chewed wires. Haven't had a problem since, starts every time. Only thing I can think of is moisture was tracking between the open wires causing the starting problem. Not sure if it will help but anything is possible.

jey_c

All I found is bad fuel injector and leaking rail pressure sensor at high ildle and water in fuel error E15 (CA428).
By the way why the rail pressure sensor should be changed and not used again once removed, does it seal with oring or metal on metal.
The "water in fuel" sensor mounted on the water seperator filter, is it a contact sensor (open, short) or a resistive sensor?

jey_c

Why they use gear oil on the threaded part of rail pressure sensor and rail relief valve

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
jey,
metal on metal iirc.
resistive sensor. never acutally measures the resistance, will do tomorrow and note it..