• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pc220 lc-5 leaking grease onto turn table

MitchellR

Hello all,

After getting shovel running after sitting for a while, I'm now leaking a nasty looking oil/grease mixture out of the area where the excavator swings. Also I have had to add oil to the swing motor a few times as its been low on the dipstick. So I'm assuming there is a seal that is bad in the swing motor. How hard is it to pull that motor out and replace the seal? does the motor have to be completely disassembled? What is the correct oil for that swing motor?

Thanks in advance!

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
The text confirms that the oil leaking from the swing transmission is that that arrives on the exterior of the machine please see attached may help.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• KomSwing.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 9

MitchellR

Okay thank you. Do you know if that has to come all the way apart to replace the seal? Is there any way around all that work for just a seal? Machine doesn’t work all day, everyday.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Normally you can lift the assembly and replace the seal be sure the bearing is in good condition and not to much movement and the surface that the seal runs needs to be without damage.
See the attached may give you a better insight as to the assembly.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Swing box.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

uffex

Occupation
Admin
A contact just posted better illustrations of 220

Attachments

• Kom3.jpeg.pdf
    285.8 KB · Views: 4

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The swing gear box will have to be dismantled. It takes a big press and a lot of luck to press that bearing out of the case and then off the shaft in order to get to the seal. I have had to cut the bottom bearing up as pressing too hard may break the case that holds it.

MitchellR

The swing gear box will have to be dismantled. It takes a big press and a lot of luck to press that bearing out of the case and then off the shaft in order to get to the seal. I have had to cut the bottom bearing up as pressing too hard may break the case that holds it.

seeing as I don't really want to spend anymore money on this old machine, is there anything you would suggest to fill that swing motor with in place of the motor oil? We really only use the machine to clear land (dig stumps, and such), it doesn't get worked hard all day, everyday. Can a heavier oil or grease be used in there and not wreck anything for a while maybe?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen grease jacked into a final drive and it worked for awhile. The problem with this is that the seal is at the bottom and gravity works. What ever leaks through goes into the swing pinion tub and eventually contaminates that grease which flows through the slewing bearing and out on the carbody. Why don't you check on the cost of a rental machine to take its place and use that price to consider whether on not it is worth fixing.