• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Paving the Sitka Airport

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
I love that P 401 mix when the plant has everything right! Got to start a 4000 ton project tomorrow, took 7 test strips to get everything right! Placement on our end was never an issue, and the mat is so compact that echelon paving is not an option, so that makes the 4000 target about 3 days for us.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Nice photos. You must be working some long days to get a night photo there. Thanks for sharing.

lumpy76

Are you using wide width paving packages? What pavers? We use the Cats with a 25' width package here. Not eschelon though.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
lumpy I am not about the equipment. I work for the state DOT in the pre-construction & design section. What I post is from the job sites after the contracts have been awarded. I think the contractor for Sitka was SECON out of Juneau.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I was stationed in Adak for a while. I miss the place for some weird reason.

SAAI

Occupation
Paving Contractor
Awesome pictures

These types of jobs take enormous work. Great pictures and am sure I am preaching to the choir in regards to the amount of manpower, machinery and costs this type of job requires. We have worked on a few smaller airports in the san antonio paving community and surrounding areas. It is one of our favorite jobs to work on larger projects like this but with that takes a great deal of work. Here in san antonio I have lost count of the number of jobs we have worked on regarding repair and resurfacing. Airports and larger projects like corporate business parks are the behemoths compared to smaller, residential asphalt driveway installation work.

Turbo21835

These types of jobs take enormous work. Great pictures and am sure I am preaching to the choir in regards to the amount of manpower, machinery and costs this type of job requires.

Even more mind boggling is the fact that this work is on an Island. Now Sitka looks a little bigger than Prince of Whales, or Ketchikan, but it is a very remote environment. In most cases, before you get a machine off a truck, its taken a ride on a barge in a very unforgiving part of the world.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Sitka has a pop of around 7,500 and is located on the west coast of Baranof Island. The island is made up of steep, rugged country. Weather can be a travel factor as there are times when planes do fly-overs and cannot land; or land but cannot leave due to wind and fog. Although not extremely cold, it is rarely warm, and never hot by lower 48 standards. It is only about 15 miles from one end of the road to the other so having a small boat is a plus. Fishing is great in the area. Do not pass up a chance to visit if ever a chance, but plan on rain.

Turbo21835

Sitka has a pop of around 7,500 and is located on the west coast of Baranof Island. The island is made up of steep, rugged country. Weather can be a travel factor as there are times when planes do fly-overs and cannot land; or land but cannot leave due to wind and fog. Although not extremely cold, it is rarely warm, and never hot by lower 48 standards. It is only about 15 miles from one end of the road to the other so having a small boat is a plus. Fishing is great in the area. Do not pass up a chance to visit if ever a chance, but plan on rain.

I have an Aunt and Uncle in Ketchikan. Ive visited twice. Beautiful country, even if it is wet