• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pathetic operator

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya I wish I could go back to when I knew it all.

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
well, now that agent's bloodied up and licking his wounds in the corner...altho arrogant, he sounds like a nice young man. we've all been that age, and those of us w/exposure to equipment that young...were/are cocky. he'll learn, just like we're all learning everyday. cut the kid a break

Thank you, it was just my opinion. everything I have every watched with an excavator is always with a thumb, and I have never seen one without one, except some mini's but most of them have one also.

Anyway, it was just my opinion, if you dis-agree that's fine. And I will learn, I learn everyday on HEF about equipment and I love it. I would have though curling a rocket against the stick would do damage to the stick and having a thumb would be an advantage so you cause less damage, but if not, then sticks work fine to hold rocks and I learned something new.

Your acting like another forum I was on that if your opinion doesn't match the opinion of somebody else then your retarded. Just say that thumbs aren't always needed. Can someone say that they would NEVER like a thumb? Would any of you say a thumb is never useful? No so just give me a break. If you don't want to hear what I think then tell me and I won't voice my opinion and only facts that I KNOW are true.

Best Regards,
Agent

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Thumbless excavators are worthless.

And I will learn, I learn everyday on HEF about equipment and I love it.... ....If you don't want to hear what I think then tell me and I won't voice my opinion and only facts that I KNOW are true.

So, today, about equipment, you learned that thumbless excavators aren't worthless, right?

Did you learn anything about what you "KNOW" to be true?

(Hint--something along the lines of, Maybe I think I know something is true, but others, who may have more experience, may disagree, so I'll get better results if I say, "I've found this to be true. Have you guys found the same thing?" , would be a good answer. Your post seems to indicate that, but I'm just making sure. Learning good "people skills" is just as important as learning about equipment) ;)

trackfanatic

Just Venting

Personally as far as saftey gear goes I don't wear steelcaps unless it is a specific site rule, mostly I stick to redwaings or a similar type. I never wear a hard hat on the machine as it interfears with my muffs, etc. Safety is not about what you wear - it's about attitude, situational awareness and common sense. And sometimes **** happens.
But that's not what I'm here to bitch about.

Today for the first time ever I had someone tell me I had taken too long to do a job. I was too slow, had not done 180 degree slew turns, and had only cut about 600 meters of road across a hill with a slope of about 60 degrees in 4.5 hours with a 70hp dozer. To quote " My son said he could have done that in 1 hour on a D4" ( No answer necessary) Why don't you just pull her around, is it wrecked or something ( If you work for me and do a tight slew turn when unnecessary I sack you, something to do with the cost of those metal bits it runs on.) It seems really slow, what gear are you in. ( first going forward 2nd in reverse..it's a dozer it's not supposed to go fast)

He responded with "when I worked for .... we used to." Fine they went broke, I haven't maybe that's why.

As an operator, I get thouroughly pissed off with every man and his dog telling me how to do my job. Not to say I don't listen to advice, or seek it sometimes. But I've got about 20 k hours of seat time on dozers and think I might know just enough to know when to ask for help, and where the boundaries are for safe operation.

As an owner I tend to pay good people well, treat my staff as I wish to be treated, and always try and do the best possible job for the money I charge. I must be doing something right, after 12 years I'm still here and getting stronger each year.

So why did one clown get too me so much??? Perhaps I'm a professional.

bitch session over.

Deas Plant

Bitch session.

Hi, Trackfanatic.
Phineas T. Barnum is reported to have said: "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

Substitute 'please' for 'fool' and read it again, applying it to your situation today.

Deas Plant

Some quotes of note.

Hi, -Agent.
Some quotes of note:

"Be sure brain is switched on before putting mouth into gear."

"Education is man's going forward from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty."

"Be like the wise old owl. The more he learns, the less he speaks."

"Empty vessels make the most noise."

"The greatest lesson you will ever learn is that there are always more lessons."

"If you ever stop learning, you're dead from the neck up."

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

'Nuff said?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Agent, thumbs on excavators are like 4x4 pickups. They are pretty common, but they are an option, just like 4 wheel drive. When I worked for an excavating company that did mainly housing developments, out of 14 excavators, sized from a deere 27ztx minni to a 450 lc, only two had thumbs. The thumb machines were specifically for laying rock walls and bridge work. The pipe layers didnt get thumbs. Actually depending on what your doing, thumbs can get in the way. For instance, would you want a thumb on if your digging inside a double decker trench box?

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Hi, Trackfanatic.
Phineas T. Barnum is reported to have said: "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

Substitute 'please' for 'fool' and read it again, applying it to your situation today.

Yep. Barnum said that one time when he was quoting President Lincoln, who's the one that said it first. ;)

(Barnum's most famous quote is, "There's a sucker born every minute.")

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
[-Agent-];98189 said:
Your acting like another forum I was on that if your opinion doesn't match the opinion of somebody else then your retarded. Just say that thumbs aren't always needed.

Best Regards,
Agent

We did, but you were too cool, and knew it all, so you kept fighting it, then you lost. And no one needs to be called a "retard", thats pure disrespect, and ingnorance. :ban

580bruce

I too live in the great state of Washington,like Agent.I would say that 90% of hyd.excavators have thumbs.I thought for a long time a hoe without one would be a pain,I used mine for everything! Then when I changed jobs, I learned how to use a trenchbox.Machine without thumb--Good Machine wiht thumb--bad. I never realized how they could get in the way,now I do.And on a bigger machine loading out trucks for example,the balance is far better.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Poor Komatsu

This pour Komatsu has been run like a vagas hooker.
Man what in the world did they swing into to do this??? Hopefully the monkey in the seat felt it:eek:

Attachments

• 010-6.jpg
    010-6.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 008-7.jpg
    008-7.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 009-6.jpg
    009-6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 421

nzpatch

wow that thumb thing is interesting! Here in new zealand we do use thumbs or power clamps on diggers but prob only 20% ish. Lots of farm work or roading in forests etc, they seem good but they are a option not necessity.

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
That poor, poor Komatsu.
Is logging any excuse for damage?:jawdrop

Attachments

• banged up skidder.jpg
    banged up skidder.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 292
  • Damaged 322.jpg
    Damaged 322.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 293

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Well I wont bore you all ,but after two decades I would not go back to sites of that era , and now in my mid fortys I have the hearing of a seventy year old. At that time no 0ne cared about safety , muck up to your knees ,stepping accross planks, no facilities, no trench boxes no boots ,etc etc seen to much lost to much .

Agent
lad you have a lot to learn "you got two eyes,
you got two ears,
look and listen to twice as much as you say"
Always remember
"IF YOU PUT YOUR FEET IN YOUR MOUTH YOU HAVENT A LEG TO STAND ON"

I have always considered our job to be a proffession and as such always kept my ppe in my truck or car and if a site opened up when I called looking for work either on price or per hour or wage I always was ready , YES expierience is the key but first impressions last and you only get one chance at that and here all PPE must be worn while on site even the secretarys once you pass the gate.

Now I will admit I have hired some lemons, guys who would put timber legs under chickens and teach them to walk one would not do what he was told as he knew better than me or the engineers and in the space of a week no one on the site would work with him, even me .The other that comes to mind tracked over a whacker but the poor guy holding it still hasnt stopped running and then ,the driver gave out to me over putting him on such a big machine ,it was a 210 kobelco.

As for me I still dont know it all and thats why last Wed I started on a new course to learn more to make me know that I know even less ,and as my late dad said "ANY DAY YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING NEW IS A WASTED DAY. " Sorry about rambling on but it how I see it .