• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Parts Shortage

Vetech63

I have a customer that uses a filter cleaning business. I have already diagnosed several dusted engines. As far as I know the customer hasn't learned his lesson. Apparently by his math he is saving more money on cleaned filters and replacing engines than buying new filters. :rolleyes:
Same here buddy. I don't even clean them myself.........I just want FWF to open up to me more so our relationship can grow ;):D:p

Truck Shop

I have a customer that uses a filter cleaning business. I have already diagnosed several dusted engines. As far as I know the customer hasn't learned his lesson. Apparently by his math he is saving more money on cleaned filters and replacing engines than buying new filters. :rolleyes:

I know a well driller that used cleaned filters-it cost him two engines.

BigWrench55

I tell customers all the time that filters and oil changes are the cheapest thing to replace on heavy equipment. So why cheap out?
My best guess is that it's a numbers game and bit of a gamble. Equipment manager cheaps out on maintenance and shows the boss how much money he saved the company. And then gets rewarded with a fat bonus. By the time engines start going down he's long gone and fucking up someone else's fleet getting more fat bonuses.

AzIron

I'm just the opposite-I walk into the office and tell the boss to sit down {I just vacuumed his bank account-I bought three hundred tires.:eek:

Do you run on a operation budget or just as needed

Cause I cringe at keeping but I do have tires on hand all the time as well as multiple other things and I have a small fortune invested into 2 conexs of parts and we are small time compared to your outfit

63 caveman

I tell customers all the time that filters and oil changes are the cheapest thing to replace on heavy equipment. So why cheap out?
My best guess is that it's a numbers game and bit of a gamble. Equipment manager cheaps out on maintenance and shows the boss how much money he saved the company. And then gets rewarded with a fat bonus. By the time engines start going down he's long gone and fucking up someone else's fleet getting more fat bonuses.

I had a boss tell me one time "I don't know why I'm paying you, nothing is ever broke.", I moved on not long after that.

63 caveman

Everyone is crying COVID. They couldn't make them. They couldn't ship them. There was no one at the docks to offload them. Try finding an EGR cooler for an ISB or ISC . 3 month backorder. How do you tell people, sorry , yer down for the season.

Better be careful about what you post gogal my black ball the HEF!

I don't want to call people out but many are using the covid card, we're all hearing it several times a day.

Bluox

I stopped by a local truck shop today and they were waiting on a diff. yoke for 2 days ,the local drive line shop had to order it said they have a hard time getting them.
Seems if you check on parts and they have them you better order them if you hesitate they won't be there when you go back.
Bob

Truck Shop

I stopped by a local truck shop today and they were waiting on a diff. yoke for 2 days ,the local drive line shop had to order it said they have a hard time getting them.
Seems if you check on parts and they have them you better order them if you hesitate they won't be there when you go back.
Bob

Exactly, not a time to be a procrastinator.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Don't know about you guys but I still buy oil, spray lubricants and etc from Wally World since I don't have business account to get bulk nor do I have a Sam's or Costco or anything of that near here. Anywho the shelves are empty of said products, I don't know if it's cause the store is in small town or and they only drop off what is left from the big Wally World. Wife has been checking about every day she has been going to work for past week, thankfully the wife works in town and I never have to leave home again :), but the backhoe is getting thirsty for oil I might have to shut it down soon. Not paying $100 per 5 gallons online, unless someone has some resources I can get some online. Might start buying 55 gallon drums at this rate.

emmett518

Harbor Freight tool chests. Back ordered until November.
I have seen the same thing with tires the owner of the tire shop told me it is costing about 9 grand to get a container from asia and that's also 5 months minimum they were paying about 2500 a container a year ago seems it's a bidding war for container space on ships seems since the world shut down for 2 to 3 months last year it has caused a massive pile up on docks in asia so everyone has burned thru the little bit of inventory that was on the shelf but since no one carries more than what they move in a month that's really not a lot of inventory

The supply chain will never be the same again the end user or fleet shop will have to become there own parts warehouse and that takes years to do without unseen financial burden
In March, when I needed to find shipping for my backhoe from Indiana to Massachusetts, it was almost impossible to find trucks. One broker told me he had pallets of Mars candy bars sitting in the Mars warehouse, because there weren't enough trucks to move product.

emmett518

I had the same idea about fluids. The price difference between buying aftermarket online, and buying Deere fluids from the Deere dealer wasn't enough savings to make it worth the bother. Plus, if I buy from my local dealer, I get better service.

emmett518

I had a boss tell me one time "I don't know why I'm paying you, nothing is ever broke.", I moved on not long after that.

I'm not the brightest LED in the string, but I'd understand that nothing breaks because my maintenance guy is on the ball checking things, and replacing stuff before it explodes in the field. I'd buy you a weekend in Maui if nothing broke.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Allison Transmission TCMs are not available. When asked about lead time, the answer is “ugh, ugh, weeks”. So that package truck will remain parked for awhile.

Bluox

Don't know about you guys but I still buy oil, spray lubricants and etc from Wally World since I don't have business account to get bulk nor do I have a Sam's or Costco or anything of that near here. Anywho the shelves are empty of said products, I don't know if it's cause the store is in small town or and they only drop off what is left from the big Wally World. Wife has been checking about every day she has been going to work for past week, thankfully the wife works in town and I never have to leave home again :), but the backhoe is getting thirsty for oil I might have to shut it down soon. Not paying $100 per 5 gallons online, unless someone has some resources I can get some online. Might start buying 55 gallon drums at this rate.
Check your local NAPA the ones here have hyd oil at 62 bucks.
The hyd shops here usually have a less expensive oil also.
Bob