• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

partial demo??

eianewb

anyone out there do a partial demo before? i have a house that had a tree fall on it and only part of it has to come down. i am goin to try to do as mush as possible with the excavator. just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with something like this to give any possible advise or thoughts.

thanks.

thodob

wood, brick or concrete?

can you add a picture of the damaged part?

xcavate

If its wood I would take a chainsaw and cut a 1' section out between the damaged part and the part you want to save. Then just pull the debris away from the section that you want to save.

Brick or concrete I would do the same thing just a different saw.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have no clue, but seems to me the term partial demo brings it's own world of difficulties. I would think to dislodge damaged house from the parts that you would want to preserve would be less an excavator job and more a two hands job. The project will, for sure, involve the excavator. But as mentioned previously, some form of saw will have to do the job, along with some hammers, crowbars, hands, and patience.

thodob

1. remove any objects or parts which can be a safety risk, with a machine
2. saw the remaining sections loose from the parts you wanna remove (for concrete and brick use special trained personnel),
3. use the machine to remove most of the debris (at least the last pieces)
4. remove the smaller pieces and the areas where cant reach with the machine by hand

depending on the access options you might do 1.-4. several times.

5. tidy up by hand and make the clean cuts where its necessary
6. safe the remaining parts for rain, snow, wind etc.

always keep safety first

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
An old farmhouse near me was recently updated and turned into commercial office space and they tore off an addition on one end using the method xcavate mentions. I watched it in my travels and progress was very slow, I think about 3 days before it was completely removed.

special tool

I do - I have done a few.
Last one was a registered Historical house that had to be demolished back to the original builder's plan (remove additions).

You need to check and double check that you have cut all beams, joists, steel pipe, BX, romex, etc BY HAND before you touch anything with an excavator.;)
This type of work is MUCH more tedious and difficult (and requires more structural knowledge) than complete demolitions.
You should really be familiar with actual construction practices before you do an destruction.:tong

eianewb

hey guys, thanks for the info so far.

the house is actuall my house, it is an old brick house covered in vynl sidding. the part to come off is just single story. there is a window about 3 feet form the joint with the main house on both walls to come off. makes an easy place to stop the ex and start the hammers. i do not have any pics on this computer, i can work on it tho. i will also have to figure out how to post them on here too.

again thanks for the info so far.