• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Part/parts needed: Cat 112 motor grader

eastroad

I'm trying to help a customer get his old grader going. 112 motor grader S/N 3U1586.
Last winter they fired it up to grade ice off the yard, and cold transmission oil or ice in the oil built up enough pressure in the transmission filter to break the top off the filter. The part that failed is the tube in the center of the filter. It broke off at the threads at the bottom. They tried to weld it, but either its crooked or a little longer, and the can fails to seal even with new gaskets.
I'm looking at the parts book and it looks like the part number I need is 6B1263; called a bar in the callout. Obsolete, as you would guess, and Milton said it was $300 when it was available!!! The parts guy said it wasn't listed on Vintage Parts., and that's as far as I went there.
First question: am I looking at the correct part number? Can anyone tell me a place that might be parting out a machine? I already tried General Gear and H & R without luck. Is the setup the same on a 12 grader? Customer is willing to buy the complete filter assembly if he needs to; he has a 212 grader, but this machine is enough heavier that it works much better at shaping up his haul road and driveways. Its been converted (kinda crudely) to electric start and I overhauled the clutch last summer, so he does have some investment in it already.
Any help would be appreciated.
Oliver Durand Shaftsbury, VT 802. 558.8161 cell

Delmer

I'd take the old one to a machinist and get one made, but I haven't seen how complicated it is, and how good of machinists you have nearby.

Then again, it doesn't look that hard to find:

https://avspare.com/caterpillar/bar/6b1263/

machinery trader lets you do parts search with the part number, Cat probably used that in lots of machines, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a used one. that site may be garbage (not have the part, just a front trying to get leads, whatever) but at least it gives some good info on what else used it. Lots of guys here have that info, but the part number should be enough to find it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is it not #6 (2D-1929 Pilot) that you are looking for..? That's the part that threads into the filter base as far as I can see.
I think that the Ref #7 6B-1263 Bar you mentioned in your OP is actually the "spool" of the relief/bypass valve setup along with Refs #8 & #11, 1F-2874 Spring & 5B-9419 Ball.

The 2D-1929 is listed at just under $8 from my Cat dealer. Not stocked locally but available to order from Cat's Central Parts Warehouse in Illinois.

upload_2020-6-9_14-48-14.png

eastroad

I’d guess the best plan would be for me to go to their yard tomorrow and take the filter apart and get a better idea of what all they have going on there. It’s been all verbal——from a distance—-up to now. I’ll post back, hopefully with a picture or two when I know better what’s up. Thanks, OD