• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Parking for Winter

Old Doug

Like willie says there is no way if i was there with it all winter that i would not start it and drive it a little 2 times a month or so. I want to down size i dont have or want to take care of every thing i have.

franklin2

I've owned my Case 580 SK for about 20 years and bought it used; it's a 1996, I think. It's been outdoors in all weather for all those years (in Alaska). I put it in travel mode (hoe locked upright), place the loader bucket on the ground on edge, close the cab door, and that's it. I never cleaned or oiled the chrome rams and they look like brand new. Also, the chrome on the bumpers of my 1974 Chevy pickup is still clean and shiny, and I never touch it either.
Yes, how many of these old backhoe's have been found sitting in a field for 20 years, clean a few things up and get it started and besides a few hose or cylinder leaks, run just like they did when they were left sitting.

joe--h

Water is not going to get past an intact seal. There's no pressure, and a slight film of oil to repel it.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

My opinion, and my hoe sits out 24/7 for the last 13 years. Cyl shafts look like new & no water in the hydraulics.

Joe H

Katherine A DeHaven

I got the machine set up in travel mode as suggested. No tarps, no chemicals, just parked so water does not sit on the machine.

I'm in NY Hudson Valley. So far winter has been mild.

I start it when it is warm outside on the weekends. My battery has a disconnect switch so that is handy.

Appreciate this forum, it helped me immensely with a reverser solenoid problem.

Merry Christmas.

aighead

Asking the general pop here... Is the battery disconnect an effective way to really stop any/most battery drain? Do people switch that off when not using the machine?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Main battery disconnects decrease it to as low as possible without removing the batteries. Still need to start and run the machines periodically to freshen up a battery charge as they lose charge just sitting.

Delmer

Yes, a battery disconnect will stop all outside battery drain. Any battery will lose charge over time even not hooked up, this is much higher in summer temps than winter temps (per JD manual). Many older machines will not leak current and can be left over winter and start fine in the spring. On older stuff, the alternator is the biggest potential leak, I think it's six diodes make up the rectifier in every alternator, any one of those that starts to leak can drain a battery over a week or overnight even, bad leaks could start a fire. So a battery disconnect or removing the ground cable is a good policy, as is charging before starting in the spring, or every couple months over winter, or even keeping a maintainer on every battery.

skyking1

Any corrosion at the battery terminal or hold down hardware indicates a drainage path. Besides the obvious damage, it will drain a battery that is on a disconnect switch.
Way back up thread I mentioned pulling the batteries if it was easy and that was to insure that the proper maintenance gets done.
( heads out to clean the truck terminals and cables )

colson04

My brother has an 09 Ford Fusion that always has a massive amount of corrosion on his negative(?) battery cable. What is the general cause of this? I've cleaned it several times, 3 times this year alone while helping him work on the car and it keeps coming back rather quickly. I've had many vehicles in my life, but never seen one do this to the extent his car does. Any thoughts? Its his daily driver also.

skyking1

couple of thoughts. not as good a connection as possible. hold downs are metal and provide a nearby path?
I cut to fresh lead if that is what the cable end is, same with post, tighten and then seal with one of the sprays.

Delmer

Those little red and green felt washers are effective. Seem like quite a gimmick, but they work whatever they are.

Last edited:

mekanik

A battery maintainer is a good investment. Leave it plugged in all winter and the battery will not drain or deteriorate from sitting.
A maintainer really extends the service life of the batteries. Not to be confused with a trickle charger.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I use a maintainer on my Harley, but only periodically as did manage to cook off the electrolyte one winter leaving it on full time.
Smaller batteries are slightly more troublesome than large volume electrolyte units.
I run a charger occasionally if not using or starting a machine over winter. Low 2A for few hours freshens one nicely. IIRC my bike maintainer is only rated 1.5a.

aighead

I was surprised by my motorcycle battery. I think I bought it around this time about 2 years ago, rode the bike once and it's been sitting in the barn since. I went to clear out the barn for the flooring job and she fired right up.