1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Parking for Winter

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Katherine A DeHaven, Nov 24, 2022 at 9:11 AM.

1. Katherine A DeHaven

Katherine A DeHaven Active Member

I'm wondering how people park their backhoe for the winter time.

I don't have a indoor area for my machine. This is the first year I've owned it and I was told to try and park the unit with most of the hydraulic cylinders sheathed.

Do people utilize blankets to cover up sensitive parts?

Should I just park it in travel mode or instead how I have it in these photos for the backhoe arm.

20221123_164717.jpg 20221123_164725.jpg

DMiller likes this.
  2. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

spray some oil on the exposed parts of the hydraulic rams to prevent corrosion

DMiller likes this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Personally, leave it in Park mode. If do anything with extended cylinders, grease the chromed rams. Grease will deteriorate over time but will not draw moisture. In Travel Locks if does not start or have other issues come spring is easier to reposition for better access to tractor components. Situating the loader arms on home built safety blocks in a semi Up position on the cylinders just in case need to access the engine, fuel filter, starter, is another consideration.

Billrog and skyking1 like this.
  4. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

I spray Fluid Film on exposed cyl rods and then wipe it off before next use. Better than oil and not as messy as grease. Also easier to apply:)

Jonas302, Coaldust, skyking1 and 4 others like this.
  5. JPV

JPV Senior Member

Fluid film works great.

Coaldust and DMiller like this.
  6. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    As stated above..
    Might I add::
    Tarp the engine.
    COVER THE EXHAUST.!!!
    Add some treatment to the fuel and let it circulate into the injection pump and injectors before shutting down..
    Add coolant to radiator and circulate before shutting down.

56wrench, colson04, Billrog and 2 others like this.
  7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Had not used Fluid Film, did not realize existed.

8. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

While parking the machine for extended times, position the buckets to shed rainwater. Standing water will rust out the bucket bottom.

9. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

2nd mention on covering the exhaust. If it is really cold and you are not going to start it all winter, then I would be tempted to bring the batteries into the shop and servicing them, and leaving them in the warm. It's a hassle but then there is no drama come spring and batteries that get run down and then charged tend to die a premature death.

10. Billrog

Billrog Senior Member

band mill , backhoe and dump truck
    As given park in trans port position, cover exhaust, I sure wouldn't bother putting anything on the rams I've never seen a rusty one, an option to removing the battery's is either a trickle charger or hook them to a charger every mon. or so to maintain a good charge in them.

skyking1 and DMiller like this.
  11. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I like pulling them out every once and a while because corrosion happens. They keep working really well while the battery box is rotting away :)

DMiller likes this.
  12. NH575E

NH575E Senior Member

Retired Machinist
    Why would you tarp the engine? I would be more likely to open the covers sos not to create a warm environment for rodents.

I don't do either with mine but it parks in a open front barn, gets used periodically, and has a cat to protect it.

Tags and DMiller like this.
  13. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

When it's your plow, and you have it in the barn that's the bomb!

HarleyHappy and DMiller like this.
  14. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    Lots of great advice so far. Another suggestion is to park the tires on wood or masonry, less they sink and freeze in the mud. Maybe that’s not a concern in your location.

How’s the rodent situation?

DMiller likes this.
  15. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

If it's been run regularly and up to date, remove the ground cable from the battery and walk away, if the batteries are dead in the spring then they weren't going to live anyway. Nothing wrong with charging before starting so you don't stress a discharged battery. Even if you're going to charge them every month, or every other month, remove the ground cable. Even a new alternator leaks some current.

DMiller likes this.
  16. mbavers

mbavers Well-Known Member

I've owned my Case 580 SK for about 20 years and bought it used; it's a 1996, I think. It's been outdoors in all weather for all those years (in Alaska). I put it in travel mode (hoe locked upright), place the loader bucket on the ground on edge, close the cab door, and that's it. I never cleaned or oiled the chrome rams and they look like brand new. Also, the chrome on the bumpers of my 1974 Chevy pickup is still clean and shiny, and I never touch it either.

Tinkerer likes this.