1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Painting old 580 CK with brush and roller....pics.

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by 1968 Case 580CK, Aug 10, 2015.

1. 1968 Case 580CK

1968 Case 580CK Senior Member

Yep, and the thought of painting and then having rocks and dirt scraping and peeling it right off......but such is life. Maybe we should chrome plate the front bucket instead of paint????

Right.....cha-ching, cha-ching.

Case 580CK Sept 20 2015 007.jpg

2. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I painted a 1950s Massey tractor in 1973 with a brush and roller, used spray cans in the oddball engine and tranny spots. Its still looks decent today and most folks think it is good original paint.

Joe Friday likes this.
  3. cb75

cb75 Well-Known Member

Looks very good. Years ago I worked with a guy who painted his F-150 with a roller and brush. Didn't look too bad at all.... From a distance. He put the paint on real thick, and left obvious brush/roller marks. It was just an old work truck.

4. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Its the disposal foam brushes that really do the best job for less brush marks. Good job on the machines.

DB2 likes this.
  5. 1968 Case 580CK

There you go.......a real life experiment showing the brush-on paint jobs will last a long time. Would be nice to see a pic of the Massey in 73 after the paint job, and then a pic from now.

Joe Friday likes this.
  6. 1968 Case 580CK

Thanks CB75........Yep, Ive know other people who did their old work trucks......some look pretty good, and its better than letting the rust take over.

7. 1968 Case 580CK

Yep......I have been using those white foam rollers and plain ole el cheapo Harb. Freight brushes. Have to pluck out an occasional willder-beast hair, but not too often.

old-iron-habit likes this.
  8. 1968 Case 580CK

Some pics showing the 580CK fully painted.....just finished the loader bucket:

It was a bit of a pain wire-brushing the inside of the bucket, but its done.

580CK Bucket Painted 090.jpg

580CK Bucket Painted 055.jpg

580CK Bucket Painted 043.jpg

aighead and kevrobster like this.
  9. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

Cogs. on a very good job,,,I noticed that the steering wheeling doesn't have a cover cap in the center of it... which cost me steering box once, it pitted the steering shaft

old-iron-habit likes this.
  10. 1968 Case 580CK

Boy, you have some sharp eyes. Yep, I need to make a tight fitting plastic cap for the steering wheel center. You are saying that moisture goes down the steering shaft and then gets into the steering box? I never thought about it, but it does make sense to get her covered as soon as I have time. I might just use some electrical tape/duct tape as a quick fix.

Now I have a real nasty looking backhoe that I need to begin restoring/paint before re-attaching. No rest for the weary.

11. hookedondiesel

hookedondiesel Senior Member

Nice, but i would have painted the bucket black.:rolleyes::tong

12. 1968 Case 580CK

Hookedondiesel........Yea, I thought of using black on the inside of the loader bucket, but couldnt find any oil-base black laying around the garage......so, I just went with the yeller as it was handy (and beginning to get crusty on the top). Mr. tightwad here......when I open my wallet, it squeaks from lack of use. ha ha.

Did Case paint the bucket insides black or yellow from the factory? (I thought it was all yeller???)

13. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior Member

Rental House Owner
    It was yeller

14. 1968 Case 580CK

Bill.....thanks for the info....yeller from the factory.....good to know.

580CK Front Axle Oct 2015 022.jpg

15. Gasnoil

Gasnoil Member

Awesome job!

16. 1968 Case 580CK

Thanks for the thumbs-up.........all that paint work was done about 5 years ago, and its still holding up pretty good. Latest thing I did was to install new front power steering cylinders:

STA77776.JPG

STA77777.JPG

And a "top-notch" front end allignment: I gave it about 1/4" toe-in, and it is wobble-free up to 70mph. After that, it is "shiver me timbers!"

STA77761.JPG

17. Eric a1cnc

Eric a1cnc Well-Known Member

Man! I bought a 68 580ck earlier this year that I have yet to start working on. I hope Mine ends up one millionth as nice as yours...:)

18. 1968 Case 580CK

Eric.......Well, just take your time with the project, and dont let it get the best of you. Im sure you can bring her back to good health without too much fussing. I learned a ton from the project. Start a new thread of your work when you start it, and maybe some of us can give some advice if you have any questions.
    Getty Up, Hi Ho Silver, Away!

19. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

big truck wrench/fixer of things
    70mph, hmm that must be the triple turbo, fuel injected, heat seeking Nascar edition:rolleyes: nice job on the rebuild...

20. 1968 Case 580CK

stinky......ha ha.......or, on a steep hill without any brakes.