• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Painting old 580 CK with brush and roller....pics.

1968 Case 580CK

Is it not funny how we all leave the front bucket till last to paint . I never painted mine .

Yep, and the thought of painting and then having rocks and dirt scraping and peeling it right off......but such is life. Maybe we should chrome plate the front bucket instead of paint????

Right.....cha-ching, cha-ching.

Case 580CK Sept 20 2015 007.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I painted a 1950s Massey tractor in 1973 with a brush and roller, used spray cans in the oddball engine and tranny spots. Its still looks decent today and most folks think it is good original paint.

cb75

Looks very good. Years ago I worked with a guy who painted his F-150 with a roller and brush. Didn't look too bad at all.... From a distance. He put the paint on real thick, and left obvious brush/roller marks. It was just an old work truck.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Its the disposal foam brushes that really do the best job for less brush marks. Good job on the machines.

Reactions: DB2

1968 Case 580CK

I painted a 1950s Massey tractor in 1973 with a brush and roller, used spray cans in the oddball engine and tranny spots. Its still looks decent today and most folks think it is good original paint.

There you go.......a real life experiment showing the brush-on paint jobs will last a long time. Would be nice to see a pic of the Massey in 73 after the paint job, and then a pic from now.

1968 Case 580CK

Thanks CB75........Yep, Ive know other people who did their old work trucks......some look pretty good, and its better than letting the rust take over.

1968 Case 580CK

Cogs. on a very good job,,,I noticed that the steering wheeling doesn't have a cover cap in the center of it... which cost me steering box once, it pitted the steering shaft

Boy, you have some sharp eyes. Yep, I need to make a tight fitting plastic cap for the steering wheel center. You are saying that moisture goes down the steering shaft and then gets into the steering box? I never thought about it, but it does make sense to get her covered as soon as I have time. I might just use some electrical tape/duct tape as a quick fix.

Now I have a real nasty looking backhoe that I need to begin restoring/paint before re-attaching. No rest for the weary.

1968 Case 580CK

Hookedondiesel........Yea, I thought of using black on the inside of the loader bucket, but couldnt find any oil-base black laying around the garage......so, I just went with the yeller as it was handy (and beginning to get crusty on the top). Mr. tightwad here......when I open my wallet, it squeaks from lack of use. ha ha.

Did Case paint the bucket insides black or yellow from the factory? (I thought it was all yeller???)

1968 Case 580CK

Thanks for the thumbs-up.........all that paint work was done about 5 years ago, and its still holding up pretty good. Latest thing I did was to install new front power steering cylinders:

STA77776.JPG

STA77777.JPG

And a "top-notch" front end allignment: I gave it about 1/4" toe-in, and it is wobble-free up to 70mph. After that, it is "shiver me timbers!"

STA77761.JPG

Eric a1cnc

Man! I bought a 68 580ck earlier this year that I have yet to start working on. I hope Mine ends up one millionth as nice as yours...:)

1968 Case 580CK

Eric.......Well, just take your time with the project, and dont let it get the best of you. Im sure you can bring her back to good health without too much fussing. I learned a ton from the project. Start a new thread of your work when you start it, and maybe some of us can give some advice if you have any questions.
Getty Up, Hi Ho Silver, Away!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
70mph, hmm that must be the triple turbo, fuel injected, heat seeking Nascar edition:rolleyes: nice job on the rebuild...