• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Very nice.....Its nice to see the trucks and drivers back doing what they enjoy....
Is that a 3406 in H03 ??????

diamondtguy

Occupation
I found this pic a while ago and sent to Larry@Pacific truck to do some research on...Three trucks were built(circa mid 70's).First I knew of a RHD P-16 and first I knew of P-16's being exported...Power was 12V71N's,5960 Allison and BD 91,000.
Man in front is long time assembly shop foreman Bill Lang...thumbnail_RHD%20P16%20sn's%20T75118-898,%20T77118-9536,%20T77118-954.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Hi Cory this is what I had in my story, on Pacific trucks.

The 1970's were good years for Pacific Truck and Trailer. Pacific trucks were sold to places as Swaziland, Tasmania, New Zealand, North Borneo, Philippines. Pacific trucks were hauling sugar cane in Hawaii, Hydro-electric generating equipment in India and Africa and logs and coal in western Canada and USA. There was a fleet of P-12-W3 trucks to a coal mine in Soda Springs, Idaho. These trucks had Detroit Diesel 16V71T engine 615hp and were pulling three bottom dump trailers with a total weight of 250 tons. 12, P-16 trucks were sold to North Borneo Timber in Malaysia. 15 years later 1987, these trucks returned to Canada and were converted to left hand drive for use on Vancouver Island, since is was very unlikely that a B.C, logger would want to sit on the other side of a logging truck to drive. These trucks had Detroit Diesel 12V71 engines, Allison 5960 automatic transmissions, Clark VT91 rear axles, and 1400x25 rubber.

They were imported by West World Truck and Equipment of Vancouver, They were converted to Left hand drive .

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
Hank.....The Malaysia thing rang a bell with me as did the trucks returning to BC to be put back in service...Problem was I couldn't remember if it was Hayes Trucks or Pacific's...

I always thought the Soda Springs P-12's were as you said V16 Detroits.The last truck built tho was a 3412 Cat if I am not wrong.Were the first two trucks indeed 16V71T's or were they Cats as well ????.I have been called on it a few times....

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I received from a friend in New Zealand Mike. 221.jpg Here are the Pacific,s that Barry Caulfield is going to keep in his collection, some have been restored, while others need a little TLC and a bit more. Its good that he is going to keep these.

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Hi, a modelling project I'm working on, figured some might find interesting. BCFP Pacific P510S and Knight trailer. Been getting lots of help from Larry at Pacific, BIG THANKS to Larry. And also Dan Peters for letting me climb all over 'the trailer' for this truck.
Thanks Doug.
url=https://flic.kr/p/21ojZjn]
38321360285_264b585603_z.jpg
[/url]PACIFIC and Knight NEW by dougsscaletruckreplicas, on Flickr
IMG_0008 by dougsscaletruckreplicas, on Flickr
Front spring1 by dougsscaletruckreplicas, on Flickr
IMG_0148 by dougsscaletruckreplicas, on Flickr
IMG_0016 by dougsscaletruckreplicas, on Flickr

IMG_0010 by dougsscaletruckreplicas, on Flickr