• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Is BP ok....have not seen him on here for quite a while now...
Hello friends. Been away a few days. Also been neglecting the sites. Seems to be more on the Facebook agenda. Steve,I do not see the mounts for the ramps on the water tank. Did you get up in the cab and see any mounts for the hydraulic valves on the floor. Bp

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Some pics Hank found on his computer.These are SAR Trucks (South Africa Railway)There was 3 orders of them for a total of around 24 trucks.All 3 orders were different engines.I started at the tail end of the last run of trucks.I believe the very first truck I worked on was a SAR truck and the second truck was a P-16..
These pics may or may not be already on here.I don't recall ever seeing two of the pics.

thumbnail_1.jpg thumbnail_2.jpg thumbnail_3.jpg thumbnail_4.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Thanks for posting the pictures Cory. I found in a folder dated 2010, and I can not remember as to how or who send to me . I really like the second one shows the size of the trucks.

In August 1970 International Harvester company acquired 100% of Pacific Truck and Trailer. Pacific was a highly successful operation prior to acquisition. Throughout the 1970's production ran at around 30 units per month, with many trucks destined for operations overseas and the 500th truck built by Pacific left the plant in 1971. As a heavy-duty manufacturer Pacific was in a unique situation. Pacific was a small company which allowed it to adjust its product to comply with specific job requirements. In August 1971 Pacific received an invitation to tender four trucks from IH of South Africa. The South African Railway was to be the end user of these trucks. And were to be used in hauling 150 ton to 370 ton loads. Most of the loads were for Thermal Power Plants, although they could be used to haul any heavy loads. These trucks were 600 hp each. Pacific received the tender and advised International that it would not submit a quotation until Pacific's manager of sales engineering and product development Mr. Gwynn Jenkins had consulted with the final user. Mr. Jenkins went to South Africa September 1971. In the first week of October Pacific submitted a bid for a Model P-12 truck that had never been built. May 1972 Pacific was informed that it was the successful bidder. August 1, 1972 final layout and shop drawings were completed. November 22, 1972 all four units were shipped by ship to Johannesburg South Africa. Amazingly this full sequence of events from receipt of order to full service had taken only 12 months. In the 1970's 18 of these trucks were built, 5 of these trucks were built called Ultra with 800 hp, powered by a Cummins V-12-1710 rated at 800 hp. These trucks had huge radiators since they operated where temperatures would be 40 degrees C. From the top of the cab to ground was 13 ft. In 1973 the P-12 became a regular production truck.
Hank

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
I remember Gwynn Jenkins.He was a nice guy.His son worked there for a while as well.They were actualy our neighbours when we lived in Deep Cove and my Dad new him.

In the second to last pic you can see the roof top rotator light on a hinged bracket.As they probably found out on the first truck...It wont clear the door..

Hank R

Occupation
South African Pacific trucks I received in the mid 70's when down at the Pacific factory. This first I think of some going for a test drive. The second is a group waiting to get loaded on to the ship
PacificTrucks1947-1991002.jpg

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
I am thinking the first pic above is a promo shot.From what I remember the trucks were only run around the local streets with minimum tires on them and the rear axel chained up to the frame.A tad to big for the city streets.
That looks like Grouse Mountain in the back ground..
Two more pics from Hank....

thumbnail_5.jpg thumbnail_Climbing_hill_outside_hendrina.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
In the above picture the first two trucks were the smaller ones Pacific P12W3 (500hp) and the next truck and pusher are the Ultra Pacific P12W3 (800hp) This trucks were shipped Red and latter on repainted white. The above picture is from Dennis Child.

Hank R

Occupation
The load was travelling from Majuba Power Station through to Kendal Power Station around 300kms. The load has travelled two days and tonight is parked on a 14km dirt road about 18kms from the power station.

The combination is as follows:-

Overall length around 120metres
Pacific P12W3 (500hp) - 40tons
Pacific P12W3 (500hp) - 40tons
Pacific Ultra P12W3 (800hp) - 50tons
ULTRA NICOLAS beamed trailer 80metres long 288 wheels 12x12 axles capacity 350/400tons - unladen mass 220tons
Load was a ABB Transformer 795MVA - weighing 350tons
Rear Unit - Pacific Ultra P12W3 (800hp) - 50tons
Gross combination mass - 745tons

diamondtguy

Occupation
Not positive but the maybe the same video we watched at Pacific.We cleared some space on the production floor and set out seats.Everybody that worked for Pacific got to watch the film..It was nice to see our stuff at work....
Thanks for posting it...I will be saving it..

Welder Dave

Odd music. It almost sounded sinister in the beginning parts like something really bad was going to happen and then kind of goofy near the end. Heavy duty trucks Canada took a back seat to no one just like in many other industries and a lot of these companies are now non existent. What a shame...trucks, forestry equipment, graders and aircraft to name a few. Curious if any of these huge trucks are still running?

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
Some one posted a while back in this thread that some of the trucks were rebuilt and put back into service...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Hank is over on the Island visiting for a few days and sent me these today...Good looking truck..

IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG IMG_0201.JPG

Hank R

Occupation
that P-512 is beautifull ready to work just waiting for a job , i bought a lottery ticket and hope it will be mine some day.