• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PA trailering questions

lars

I'm having a little trouble getting my facts straight in setting up a trailer. The DMV knows less than I do and my local title guy won't spend more than 30 seconds on the phone with me, so I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on this.

First, in PA is it true that you do not need to register for a combination if you are pulling a trailer less than 10,000# GVWR? If you don't have to register it in combination then does GCWR = Truck GVWR + Trailer GVWR.

Second, what do I have to do to determine my GCWR to register a combination? I know if it is not on the title I can use the number from the manufacturer. However, I also heard that I can take the truck to a mechanic, who will look at my hitch and mechanicals and assign a GCWR for the truck. Is this true?

Fianlly, when DOT puts you on the scales in PA, what weights are they checking? With a pickup and gooseneck it seems possible that I could have a scenario where I would be under the GCWR and all GAWR's would be fine, but the tongue weight would push me over for the GVWR of the truck (b/c like most pickups the GVWR is less than the front + rear GAWR). Conversely, I could register a trailer at 10k with 2 6k axles and due the truck not being maxed out have more than 10k on the trailer and still not be over on GAWR and GCWR. So when they check weights it is GCW and axle weight, or do they check the truck and trailer to see if you're not over rated weights for each one?

bill onthehill

I know of guys getting burned for being over on front axle weight on a tandem lime truck even though they were under on overall weight. the trailer will be derated by the tire rating as well. Lot of guys let it slide but some will start off checking tire rating and it just goes downhill from there.

tootalltimmy

I think that at all DOT scales you must be under the individual axle weights as well as the total gross vehicle weight. You must distribute the load weight to stay within those limits.

Last edited:

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Is this a pickup or a commercial truck class 4 and above?

If it is a pickup you will have to use the manufacturers weight ratings GCWR and GVWR and rating for front and rear axle, plus make sure the tires are up to the rating of the axles.

If this is a class 4 and above truck, here is a link for you. And call the number there and order the "Truckers Handbook"

http://www.pahighways.com/truckinfo.html

What they will be checking for at the scale.

Front axle weight
Rear axle weights
GVWR of the truck
Tire ratings
GCWR of the truck which will include the trailer
Trailer axle weights
And wheelbase

lars

Everybody, thanks for the help so far. Some creative searching has answered a few of these questions so far in case anyone wanted to know.

I'm having a little trouble getting my facts straight in setting up a trailer. The DMV knows less than I do and my local title guy won't spend more than 30 seconds on the phone with me, so I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on this.

First, in PA is it true that you do not need to register for a combination if you are pulling a trailer less than 10,000# GVWR? If you don't have to register it in combination then does GCWR = Truck GVWR + Trailer GVWR.

True. You don't have to register in combination if the trailer weighs less than 10,000 lbs. As far as GCWR, don't go over on your truck GVWR/GAWR

Second, what do I have to do to determine my GCWR to register a combination? I know if it is not on the title I can use the number from the manufacturer. However, I also heard that I can take the truck to a mechanic, who will look at my hitch and mechanicals and assign a GCWR for the truck. Is this true?

True, I think. PA form MV-41 has a place where you can change your GCWR, which needs to be done by a mechanic. However, I don't know the specifics and would appreciate any input.

Fianlly, when DOT puts you on the scales in PA, what weights are they checking? With a pickup and gooseneck it seems possible that I could have a scenario where I would be under the GCWR and all GAWR's would be fine, but the tongue weight would push me over for the GVWR of the truck (b/c like most pickups the GVWR is less than the front + rear GAWR). Conversely, I could register a trailer at 10k with 2 6k axles and due the truck not being maxed out have more than 10k on the trailer and still not be over on GAWR and GCWR. So when they check weights it is GCW and axle weight, or do they check the truck and trailer to see if you're not over rated weights for each one?

Second part, not true. The 10k trailer thing applies to both registered weight and actual weight. If they see you are over 10k on the trailer even if you aren't over on the axels, you better be registered to take the weight.

BTW, this is for a pickup and 14k gooseneck setup. As far as the GCWR vs GVWR and axle debate, this is still where I'm most confused. Some say as long as you're under for your registered combination and under on your axles you are good. Like Kgmz said, I've heard if you're over on the GVWR on the truck you're busted, too. If anyone can point me to the right direction on this one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

IH 3500A

Be sure to check the PA Driver and Vehicle services web site, lots of good info. Also be ready to be stopped and checked frequently. Our clean late model flat bed shop truck ( 33,000 GVW I think ) at work has been stopped 12 times in the past 2 years for on the road spot checks. ( has not failed once )