1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

P&H 4100A Pictures

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Eric, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hitch

hitch Well-Known Member

Construcation equipment
    Nice pics, it's really awesome!
    By the way, is this Powered by engine or electronic? How much is the horsepower?

2. Eric

Eric Senior Member

It's powered by electricity, 7200 volts. As for hoist, crowd, swing, and propel power... I don't know. A whole bunch!

3. BigDiggerJon

BigDiggerJon Member

night shift operating production forman
    Wow man that is a big beast. Next week we get our brand new Hitachi ex3600 not quit as big but it is mine on night shift. I will start a thread when it starts coming in on 18 truck loads.

4. DarrylMueller

DarrylMueller Senior Member

Excavating Contractor & Operator
    Real nice pictures of the 4100. What are you mining?

5. Eric

Eric Senior Member

We mine copper. There are 3 copper mines in our county. Currently 2 of those are shut down, they just have skeleton crews maintaining mine de-watering and exercising equipment. The mine I work at is the only one still running and we are at about 75%.

6. DarrylMueller

DarrylMueller Senior Member

Excavating Contractor & Operator
    Are you in the Douglas area. i had heard that they were stripping the tailings from the old mines there to get the remaining copper out. I guess as soon as the price goes up you will be in full production again.

7. Eric

Eric Senior Member

No, I'm in Silver City N.M. I've been to Douglas and all over that area, lots of mines in S.E. Arizona. One of our mines in the area had been hauling tailings into the mine, dumping the tailings onto the shot muck,and then hauling it to the leach stockpile where it becomes mixed with the leach material, then leached and recovered. Pretty efficient way to recover old copper and clean up tailings at the same time.

I saw a program on Discovery Channel about the oil sand mining, when I watched it they were running 797 Cat trucks and watching those big trucks roll through the mine squishing out the haul roads. I thought to myself that maintaining those roads would be a wooley booger. Our roads take alot of work to maintain and berms and so on. With the soft material you work with it must be a frustrating job trying to maintain pits and roads. Job security I guess.

8. 345cl

345cl Well-Known Member

excavator operator in the sewer bussiness
    great pics eric were do i sign up !!

9. Eric

Eric Senior Member

Roughly 3000 miles south!

10. alco

alco Senior Member

Well, I am now one step closer to being in your shoes. I got the word today that I am now a backup oiler. Basically, our oilers are the ground crew for the shovels as well as the relief operators. So I start training next cycle.

Brian

11. JimInOz

JimInOz Senior Member

Thanks for the pics,Eric.
    My little Mitsubishi dozer could clean out between the teeth...toothpick style!
    I note the Cat dozer has long ripper tynes....is it used primarily for ripping?

Jim

12. Eric

Eric Senior Member

Hey Congratulations Brian! I hope that it all goes well.

13. Eric

Eric Senior Member

We do alot of ripping and re-laying shovel pits. Most our dozers are pulling 3 shanks.

14. Danial Doherty

Danial Doherty Well-Known Member

Here is a stupid question! Ive seen lots of pics of these big shovels and i always see a dozer kicking around also. what is the job of the dozer? clean up after the trucks leave??

15. Eric

Eric Senior Member

Bullboy, The mine I work at is located in southwest New Mexico. The trucks we run are 793 C's and D's. We aim for 265 tons per load.

Danial, we keep dozers in the shovel pits to rip and relay the pit floors to make sure we are on grade. It's not always easy to cut grade with a shovel, so we let the dozers take care of that for us. We have little 824 rubber tire dozers that normally take care of overcast and spills.

16. cat 325ccr

cat 325ccr COPPA

Nice pictures!

17. Eric

Eric Senior Member

For what?? P&H Mine pro takes care of the shovel parts.

18. awboat

awboat Member

Nice photos. I have a house in Columbus NM and would really love to see those machines working some day. I was looking at the Tyrone Mine (your mine I assume) on Google earth and you can see the 4100's working. Big even from space.

Thanks

19. Komatsu789

Komatsu789 Member

Dump Truck Driver
    Great pictures

20. Eric

Eric Senior Member

I took some friends on a tour yesterday. Here's a few to see if I can remember how to post a picture.

Attached Files: