• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

P&H 4100 shovel Saddle Blocks - pros and cons?

Mr Mike

I am working on a project about the P&H 4100 saddle blocks. I've talked with many operators over the past few years and there's a consensus that the saddle blocks are of poor design. In the hands of a green horn operator the top shelf of the saddle block can easily be ripped off. Because of metal running on metal, there is heavy wear on some parts and excessive amounts of open gear lube are wasted onto the ground causing huge environmental concerns. I'm just making a list of pros and cons for my project as I hope to design a new and improved version of the saddle block. Thank you guys...

alco

I replied to this earlier, but it didn't post, so here we go again.

I personally haven't found any glaring design flaws to the P&H saddle block design. We have some very green operators, and some seasoned operators who act like greenhorns, and I don't believe we have ever experienced the type of failure you refer to with ripping the top of the saddle blocks out.

Yes, there is metal on metal contact with the top of the blocks to the stick, but when adjusted and maintained properly, this isn't really an issue. The proper application of OGL will not give you the excessive amounts of OGL waste and huge environmental concerns you speak of.

I think the issues you are speaking of refer more to poor maintenance practises, than a poor design. The only real issue I have is the design of the catwalk on the cab side of the boom that accesses the saddle blocks. I find it impairs visibility when swinging into a truck on the blind side of the shovel, that however, is not really a design fault of the saddle blocks.