• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

P&H 30 ton mobile crane, new retirement home.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Moved this old gal Wednesday 4-24-19 from it's former home in southern Vermont to it's new one in west-central New Hampshire.

I remember when this thing was new, owned by the now-long-gone Burgess Bros. Construction Co of Bennington, Vt. The last 10 years at least, it was owned by Rick's Towing & Recovery of Guilford, Vt. but unfortunately Rick has passed on and his family is slowly selling everything off. I've move a couple of pieces from there recently. One was an older Cat 938 loader I sold for them to a dealer out in Rochester, who sight-unseen bought it and had me bring it directly to his customer down around Richmond, Va. last fall.

I also brought this cool old 1966 Oshkosh dubbed "The Terminator" from Rick's to a towing and recovery company in Allentown, Pa. last fall. That will just go to tow shows. Has a 318 Detroit, a 10 speed main and 4 speed aux, twin steer, tri drive. Custom built in Ohio years ago.P&HCrane#1.jpg P&HCrane#2.jpg
Oshkosh#1.jpg Oshkosh#4.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Just asking about the year my friend where he works at they have a 1988 Oshkosh, withe the same hood and grill. They most likely did not change much over the years???

LowBoy

Occupation
Just asking about the year my friend where he works at they have a 1988 Oshkosh, withe the same hood and grill. They most likely did not change much over the years???

I'm thinking they didn't change hardly at all, even to this day I see them on the Massachusetts Turnpike plowing with new ones, and they look the same as they always did. The interiors got a whole lot more modernized though.

LowBoy

Occupation
How many tons is the wrecker rated for?

The owner (that has passed on since,) told me once it was designed for 100 ton, and based on the beef of those boom lift cylinders I could almost believe that...but with the gross weight of the whole truck somewhere around 35 ton, I'd be skeptical of that much. Maybe close up to the side...it might. It does have some pretty stout features on it, I'll say that.

crane operator

Glad to see you've got your engine back together, running good?

Typically when they talk about a ton rating on a wrecker, they are talking about winch pull ability. Some of the very new rotaters have a lifting rating also, but on the older stuff its always about pull rating of the winches.

It kind of looks like the oshkosh had more than tri drive also- it kinda looks like those are drive axles under the front, I think I can see a pumpkin under that front end, and by the looks of the front hubs?

I'm kinda surprised you got them on your trailer, can you permit that much on a tandem truck and tandem trailer up there? The wrecker would weigh more than the crane, but the P&H was probably 45-50,000lbs, was it a 6-53 detroit?

LowBoy

Occupation

Typically when they talk about a ton rating on a wrecker, they are talking about winch pull ability. Some of the very new rotaters have a lifting rating also, but on the older stuff its always about pull rating of the winches.

It kind of looks like the oshkosh had more than tri drive also- it kinda looks like those are drive axles under the front, I think I can see a pumpkin under that front end, and by the looks of the front hubs?

I'm kinda surprised you got them on your trailer, can you permit that much on a tandem truck and tandem trailer up there? The wrecker would weigh more than the crane, but the P&H was probably 45-50,000lbs, was it a 6-53 detroit?

LowBoy

Occupation

Truck is running good now, yes...thanks.

It (Oshkosh) had an 8V71. And yes, I forgot to mention it was all wheel drive too. The P&H crane has a 3208 Cat V8 for up and down.

I can do 90,000 lbs. with my Vt. blanket permit, and I was right there with that Oshkosh, and that P&H. I weight about 36K empty.

Those older ones (wreckers) were rated at the pulling capacity yes, but the newer ones such as a new rotator for example, are rated for lift. Case in point is this 75 ton Miller/Peterbilt I hire frequently for jobs. The truck itself weighs almost 80k lbs...and with the boom sucked all the way in it's rated at 75 ton.

I use these guys for my projects to lift, unload, etc. when doing things in New England area. Best in the business. Coady's Towing of Lawrence, Mass.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LrbKrvNB8H1DUs3x7

Coady's~Caboose #1.jpg Coady's~Caboose #2.jpg Coady'sTowingWrecker #1.jpg Coady'sTowingWrecker #2.jpg