• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

materthegreater

The biggest local quarry, Wallingford Crushed Stone...

How do you like their materials? I have a job in Mt Holly scheduled for later this year and will likely end up using material from them. I'll need to look at the jobsite again before I order but I'll likely need some sort of base material, and a 1" or so surface gravel. Their website doesn't list their products with any detail so I'll need to call to find out what they offer.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The biggest local quarry, Wallingford Crushed Stone, play it another way. They act like they are interested in my old truck I believe the only thing they are concerned with is legal payload. I'm happy to play along. I don't want to be overweight either. My father always said "Go often & go light". In his case he was driving trucks rated for two tons belonged to the Town of Danby. They were a matched pair of Fords converted to four wheel drive by Marmon Herrington. I'm still trying to figure out the year. Pictures are hard to find, my father worked for the town in 1940, then 1946.
WCS will happily send me out 800 lbs under, but never 1 LB over. I have never taken it up with them except to say "you were a little light last load. I believe the loader has a scale & I ask for 7 tons. Former operator was within 20 LBS, "new operator" is often light.
My truck has a 14' long loadbed, it'll carry a full 5 yard bucket. I still wonder about the nuisance factor of a small truck.
The guy that runs the asphalt plant loader is responsible for everything in the yard. Feed the plant, clean the dust bins, push up the stock piles, load the trucks, sometimes do something with the forks. If they are mixing a lot, the guy on the wash plant will shut down and look after loading trucks so Chris can feed the plant. He is a master at load weight. No scale in the loader. Whatever material you want, and whatever weight he gets it almost right on. Even if he swaps buckets (he has a seperate bucket for dirty material so as not to contaminate asphalt agg. And a tooth bucket for loading over in the shale pit. Anyway years of praise have gone to his head, and after causing too much trouble for the mixer man and scale man, and being a real jerk to the truckers, they had a meeting with him about his tude, and he told them to go square flyin. I told him, he's crazy, cause no one is going to cater to him like this outfit did.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
How do you like their materials? I have a job in Mt Holly scheduled for later this year and will likely end up using material from them. I'll need to look at the jobsite again before I order but I'll likely need some sort of base material, and a 1" or so surface gravel. Their website doesn't list their products with any detail so I'll need to call to find out what they offer.
It's all Calcium Carbonate, (limestone). Buy bigger than you need, the corners get knocked off as it compresses.
Working from memory, they have:
blasted ledge, 2'?
6"
2-1/2"
1-3/4 drainage stone
3/4"
1/4"
Winter sand must be a bit smaller than 1/4.
land lime. (powder)
Then they have several grades of pack mix containing all sizes under a specified size.
Pike a bit south of WCS has most of what WCH has plus a product screened from top gravel above the bedrock.
Fuller, 5 miles south of WDS has the screened I like for my driveway & neighbors. It is rounded stone with a small amount of fines. I like the look of it on a driveway & you walk across it with little powder making mud on your shoes. The limestone constantly crushes into chalk.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As to Produce and Salinas, made ONE set of runs to CA delivered to Grocer Chain outside LA, ran N thru the valley to pickup Fresh Fruit in a divider equipped trailer, topped off with Lettuce and always a Tattle Tale in the back. First run did not know outbound load was Slip Sheeted floor load consumer sized cartons Kaukauna Club Cheese, Jerks. Got to LA, raised door at Dock, UNION Towmotor operator looked and stated would drop pallets where I had to cross load to offload, NO LUMPERS allowed inside yard. Took me most of the day. Deposited the Slip sheet in the spotless clean warehouse floor pulled off and closed doors to dock worker yelling take my trash, never looked back. Picked up all manner of fruit in large wrapped skids to Salinas, sat for 12 Frickin hours to get my top off of Vacuum Cooled Lettuce. That load came back to STL Produce Row which as most was built in 20s and 30s for Rail Deliveries where trucks took over. Jacking a 45' into docks sucked where that is now gone as could not do the later 48 and 53 footers. Most of the brokers lost to the grocer chains buying direct and just closed.

Got my load against the dock, old Jew owner pulled Tattle tale(Was getting ENTIRE Load) threw a fit as to temps wrong for mixed load, showe him details of Load Schedule that SPECIFIED the return temp on Reefer. He threw a LOUDER fit, so I snatched the load papers, and with him complaining started to pull off from dock. Asked what I was doing, explained if he refused to sign and pay would be street selling and he could Pizz up Rope. Another round of Yelling and I had doors closed, he backed off said would sign but NOT without complaining of my attitude. Saw boss that afternoon, said was all he could do NOT to laugh at the old Jew, HE was the one specified the temp and reminded him of that. Was the Boss that told me he might do that and how to combat. Two following trips and I was done, was working for Feld Rental directly after that last run. Five weeks of that was plenty for Me.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I'm surprised you lasted five weeks, that crap woulda been one and done for me, although I had to bite my tongue several times when I was leather assin', anything to get the load off when dealing with some self important a$$hole in charge of recieving but that would be my last trip to that barn.

Truck Shop

No, he's just like his dad. He worked here to. Real good operator, but couldn't work with anyone because everyone else is stupid.

Funny--there's a father son pair just like that working here. Both have been kicked out
shipping/receiving terminals.

materthegreater

It's all Calcium Carbonate, (limestone). Buy bigger than you need, the corners get knocked off as it compresses.
Working from memory, they have:
blasted ledge, 2'?
6"
2-1/2"
1-3/4 drainage stone
3/4"
1/4"
Winter sand must be a bit smaller than 1/4.
land lime. (powder)
Then they have several grades of pack mix containing all sizes under a specified size.
Pike a bit south of WCS has most of what WCH has plus a product screened from top gravel above the bedrock.
Fuller, 5 miles south of WDS has the screened I like for my driveway & neighbors. It is rounded stone with a small amount of fines. I like the look of it on a driveway & you walk across it with little powder making mud on your shoes. The limestone constantly crushes into chalk.

Great, that is very helpful. Thanks

Truck Shop

Five weeks of that was plenty for Me.

Produce can be the worst without a doubt. Normally the only way to get any good loads is stick it out.
The good loads were for grocery chains like Safeway. You might have three pickups but it's always
one drop. The day's of independent produce brokers has been pretty well over with for a while now.
But truthfully trucking is all crap now. A great way to go broke if that's a persons goal. Only the big
companies can survive.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
A friend used to deliver to GM plants, hurry up and wait, say something, yer screwed.
When a forklift operator got him unloaded in a reasonable time, he would slip him a $25 Home Depot gift card....amazing how fast he got unloaded when word got out .

Ed
Till word gets out then other drivers trying to do the same, then it leads to who is paying the highest amount. Give a mouse a cookie...

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had ONE and only ONE load from STL to NYC, had to drop on the docks warehousing for a shipment to US Military by Boat 1977. Get to dock, another of those you can see it from
The roadway but takes 20 minutes to bob and weave thru bad directions to get there. “Gates open 24/7” standard lie, gates licked, watchman in a shack gives a finger when call out to the three inside. One stands fumbles around, gets to gate is hateful. $50 to get let inside, another $50 to tell longshoreman boss I am there come next day. Will show where to park, opens gas and follow a golf cart along a line of old warehousing.
Get to site he pulls out if way has me back in. Said another $50 and locks don’t get broke, plus $50 get to keep tires on trailer.

So, $200 down before get offloaded next morning trucks sitting down a ways no outer tires on budds, a second one on cribbing NO tires. Longshoreman foreskin steps up, need $200 of will not unload, down $400 on a load that makes MAYBE $200 clear. Pay it and get the hell gone. Picked up some manufactured crap in New Jersey paid next to nothing to get home.

Truck Shop

So, $200 down before get offloaded next morning trucks sitting down a ways no outer tires on budds, a second one on cribbing NO tires. Longshoreman foreskin steps up, need $200 of will not unload, down $400 on a load that makes MAYBE $200 clear. Pay it and get the hell gone. Picked up some manufactured crap in New Jersey paid next to nothing to get home.

Now you know why I don't travel east of the Rocky Mountains.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Before gave up on trucking then I refused to cross from IL east. Dealt with grain hauls and such around St Louis even dealt with private fleet service out to Effingham, would not go further save on vacation or to visit relatives.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I used to haul a lot of palletized flour loads from the Buffalo rail to a price chopper grocery warehouse in Albany, it was a perfect turn, most miles you could get in the old 10 hours of driving regs. and sleep in my own bed at the end of the day. The only problem was once you bumped the dock you had to deal with lumpers. After one visit and a lot of waiting I decided to grease the guy $5, holy crap after 2 more visits them cats would come running for that $5, never had to wait there again.
I live in NY and absolutely refused to go to NYC..

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I watched this guy hauling stumps off a job, he had a late 70's dump, and I have no idea the vintage of the skid steer. The whole thing was pretty comical except for the part where he is running down a state highway 3 or 4 miles . . .

KIMG0354.JPG

I am pretty sure he put a couple more buckets on after I took the pic