• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Truck Shop

It never ceases to amaze me when I see a load that has shifted and realize the driver hasn't even glanced at it since he got in the truck.

Years ago it standard procedure with a high percentage of drivers to do a quick equipment check
when stopping at rest areas or mandatory break. Walk around check tires, feel the hubs for heat,
look for leaks, check load restraints if flat bedder. Today they have to show a 30 minute break in
the first 8 hrs of driving, other than using the rest room they crawl back in and set don't check
anything.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Years ago it standard procedure with a high percentage of drivers to do a quick equipment check
when stopping at rest areas or mandatory break. Walk around check tires, feel the hubs for heat,
look for leaks, check load restraints if flat bedder. Today they have to show a 30 minute break in
the first 8 hrs of driving, other than using the rest room they crawl back in and set don't check
anything.
Steering wheel holders. They're not truckers.

Truck Shop

You guys can politely refer to them as {Steering Wheel Holders, Herders or what ever}.
I refer them as {Bed Wetter's}. I had a driver tell me {they don't pay me enough to do
a equipment check--WTF}. The mentality of these people - is so out of line for the job
requirement. It's boiled down to babysitting, that goes for any type of job.

suladas

It is scary. But at the same time I wouldn't want a lot of these guys trying to inspect or do anything anyway, not even changing a light bulb. I know of a few companies who have their mechanics do the daily pre-trips. Most will not let any driver top up fluids, if it's low they say so and a mechanic does it. This summer alone my brothers guys ruined a handful of trailer plugs from pulling them not plugged in. I don't get it, if someone pulls a electric brake trailer not plugged in they screwed up 3 times. First hooking up, secondly not doing a walk around, and third for not adjusting/checking the brakes and checking lights.

suladas

And these same people think they're worth $15/hr o_O

The one's driving the trucks make between 30-40/hr. The worst one got fired a few months ago, a few of the not as bad one's said they couldn't deal with the dumba$$ anymore. He came from a bank and never worked construction before, but after like 5 years was still clueless.

It reinforces why I just work on my own.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Part of CDL Life, Understanding HOW and WHEN and WHY to do Vehicle inspects, then DOING them. Had sign offs for that on hard paper daily record at last employer, at the Nuke when used a company truck expectation was sign off a Written Pre Trip, could be fired if lied and just signed.

Truck Shop

It's on the E-log-no paper VIR's. If a person was to set at a cesspool truck stop I have no doubt
that only 50% do a pre-trip after 10 off.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Few years ago when I was shopping around for a new daily I was very tempted by a couple new 2500/3500 HD Chevys with flatdecks that the dealer had sitting on the lot.