• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I've done that with Marooka track trucks. The engine is right there, pop the top on the ravioli and wait for it to bubble.
img.axd

The one I ran was bigger, and the side of the hood was open
to the engine on my right.

I always kept the can sealed. It never burned as long as it was sealed. I had a can of chili stretch once but was fine and unburnt after it cooled enough to dare to open. I did have the top blow off of a pop top can of beans that was heating on a Cat engine exhaust manifold in a 9310 American. The house roof and walls were splattered with stuck beans and sauce. The operator and oiler was moving to the piling yard on a job and running the engine at governed speed for a few hundred yards. That gorilla of a oiler whom kept that machine looking better than new would have killed me if he could have run faster. I kept my distance for about a week before he could laugh about me going hungry.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I was never adventuresome enough to use an exhaust manifold. Always thought it would burn or something. Used a top radiator tank and always had lukewarm beans because of it.

My dad is an inventor. 2 of his cars he had what he called the water cooker which was a coil of 5/8 copper fed from the heater, in the bottom of a custom fit galvanized steel tank in a handy location on the car somewhere. Fill the tank with clean water and submerge cans of beans or whatever and when you get where you were going, hot food. Used it when vacationing in campgrounds and such. No waiting for the camp stove, just open and eat.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Not an engine heater, but:
Seth was a baby, we seemed to travel often. He was one of those kids would wake up from a nap screaming! That kid had/has lung power! A cold bottle was NOT acceptable!
We bought a bottle warmer plugs into a lighter, but you had to plan way ahead to get it warm.
I took a tin can just the right size, soldered a 14" long handle on it. Id put three ounces of water in, pop in the bottle & blast it with a propane torch. A couple minutes, the bottle was perfect & silence was restored.

Dugandan

When I was young, about 10 years of age, our family was friends, and for a while farming partners, with our local veterinary surgeon and his family. Fred, the vet, was a wonderful man, memorable for the way he could fool us kids and make us laugh at the same time, as well as being a great vet. Constantly travelling from farm to farm, mostly on gravel roads or worse, as ours was a dairying community, Fred wore out cars pretty quickly. Fred's brother had previously moved to farm near Esperence, West Australia, about 3700 km from where we lived in South East Queensland, and, not withstanding 3 kids and a lot more gravel, off they all set to travel across Australia, virtually East Coast to West, on a family reunion holiday. The chariot was the work car, a newish 1965 Austin Freeway Station Wagon, but this one had a clever modification devised by Fred. Inside the engine bay was a plate of just the right size and location, which was supposed to use the heat of the engine to cook a steak while travelling. Fred proudly opened the bonnet to show it to us before they left. On returning from their travels some four weeks later, there were more eye-rolls and sighs than enthusiasm from Lorna, his wife, and the kids, about the engine frypan. The things a bloke tries to do for the family!

Truck Shop

Almost forgot Paul was in my area Friday, like two blocks from my shop.
He was on the frontage rd headed to DOT for gas. I think he saw it about the same time I did.
A 450 with slip tank towing a 30' with a 610 on top. 6 year old trailer.
The ticket.
#1 Just got there cdl the week before but not carrying a paper copy.
#2 Over weight by 4,400lbs.
#3 No signage or DOT number or tonnage or fire x sign.
#4 no fire extinguisher no triangles.
#5 No conspicuity tape on truck or trailer.
#6 insecure load, improper chain rating.
#7 Tire tread depth out of compliance.
#8 insecure load loose dirt/mud/rocks on deck.
#9 Defective lighting.
#10 two brakes not working on trailer.
#11 Cracks in welds on goose neck.

He stopped by afterward. Just out doing his job and as he says {I don't have to look very hard}.:cool:

Dugandan

Douglas Macarthurs jeep had a holder bolted to the head to hold 2 cans.

Hello Old Doug, just my imagination joining the dots here, but I do find that piece of trivia fascinating. MacArthur's headquarters after escaping with his family and staff from the Philippines was in Brisbane, where he was Supreme Commander of the Southwest Pacific. During WW2, our previously mentioned family friend Fred the Vet worked in "Intelligence" for the Australian Army, also in Brisbane.

Monkeywithawrench

Saw this tonight on way home. Over capacity of rear seat with golden retrievers???
This couple live around down. He restored this convertible Chevy Impala himself. These guys, the car, and the dogs have been a staple of a sight to be seen (literally) for years. One of the dogs died a few years ago and he was replaced the following year with a new puppy. My family and I always take a pic and send it to other family members when we see them on the road. Its always great seeing the 3 dogs, fur blowing in the breeze, sitting high and proud in the back of the car........like a beauty queen in a parade!!LOL
Just figured I'd share...........thought you guys might like it.
Golden convertible.jpg

skyking1

I don't know if it was an overload but it surely was a bad day for a side dump operator. He departed the highway at a good clip and a bad angle, and found the only soft bit of ground for many miles along the highway. He was loaded and no tarp. He was also sporting a big tractor with a yuuge sleeper. It was not the typical day cab side dump setup. When I wheeled by he had collected the first WSP officer and when I came by again in 20, he had a 2nd one but no tow trucks.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe it's just the angle of the picture but that flat spot on the right rear rim looks very rusty. Could it be that the guy who towed it to that place got a deal on it and was just trying to get it home to actually fix it when he was stopped.

I recall many years back getting sent out to rescue one of the company's low-boys that had a wheel problem on the New York State Thruway, lucky it was not loaded! As it was there was no way to fix it there so we removed the tires off that wheel and just used chains and binders to hold it off the road and drive took it to the quarry he was headed for and they fixed it there.

Truck Shop

Maybe it's just the angle of the picture but that flat spot on the right rear rim looks very rusty.

kshansen is correct-look at the ramp cylinder. I don't think that old buzzard has been used in a while.
Not to mention that trailer is a morphydite.