• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Old Doug

40+ foot step deck but no need for greater than 45, preferably on air ride. Junkyard put me on to a trailer salesman in KC but nothing in the "Affordable Range" currently.
I will keep my eyes open . As soon as i can i am going to start driving around looking. I know were there are some trailers but because of being busy and mud i havent been to look. I need i think a 30' but i have a torch . I would take a goose neck or a fifth wheel . There is a fifthwheel i think 53' at Hale Mo with 3 7000 axles . If it was cheaper and ok i would cut it down and use one air brake axle with short tires.

colson04

A fellow I know had one I made fun of him he said only way the whole family can ride in one vehicle.

I said you could have tried watching tv.....

I owned a 2005 Ford Expedition that had 3, full size bench seats. Seated 9. My current 2012 Expedition has captains chairs up front; still comfortably seats 8. Never an excuse to own a mini-van.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I had a standard issue Toyota Sienna a few years back. Sold it as upsized to a 2006 3500 GM bus van (large family). Hardly did anything to the Toyota, business partner bought it, still going strong.

The GM van definitely has more problems to fix. And the 6 liter LS burns more gas than the 3.3 V6 did. But upside is, can throw all camping gear and firewood desired behind rear seat, plus tow an enormous trailer. Also more problems equals the kids get more experience working on the thing. The breakdowns are probably a net benefit in the long run from the opportunities for experience they provide. Toyota might as well have been an electric motor, just turn on and go.

suladas

I hate my short box, but parking a long box is a nightmare, and it wouldn't fit in my garage. Add in the fact that I have the rambox and a slip tank, I have a 4'x4' box left which doesn't hold much. But i'll take that inconvenience of pulling a trailer a few extra times over trying to park the longer truck everyday.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I could never give up my 8 ft bed. I've owned 7 pickups since I got my license at 16. Only one had a short bed and I said never again after that truck.
I've owned three 6.5' bed trucks. I find the 8' typically don't look as nice on anything after the squarebody era.

A guy I went to tradeschool with had an absolute mint 90's Chevy 2500 regular cab long box 4x4. With just a levelling kit and aftermarket wheels that thing was by far one of the nicest trucks I've ever seen.

mitch504

My first criteria when I look to buy a pickup is it has to be a long bed. I can't imagine why anybody would buy a shortbed for work. I know I am very different than most in that looks is my last criteria. I don't want to drive around in something beat to hell, that looks like you either can't drive or don't take care of your stuff, but I would buy a pink and purple longbed with a dent in every panel before I bought a shortbed. Even my Ranger is 7.5'.

It frustrates me how hard it is to find a used longbed, anymore.

Last edited: