• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
You'd better not care about your cab if you haul on that job.
I got loaded by a Cat 990 one day, needed a ton and a half, dispatcher says go over by the pile and back up to it. Big cat comes around the corner, clips another pile with his bucket and scoops up a few yards in the corner, puts the entire bucket over my truck, F250 and puts a couple yards in the back before I just drove away. bucket was longer than the truck. None on the roof though but looking up at those teeth was something

cfherrman

Where there is more parts there will be more maintenance. Two examples.

My f250 has locking hubs, I have a vac leak so I could fix it or just plug the line and go manual, which I did. Last year running down the road I got a huge vibration and ended up being the drive side locking hubs failed and locked it in causing the front driveshaft to turn, and the drive shaft went out on the truck. Now I check the drive shaft every oil change to see if it's free, and I'll lube up my locking hubs probably every other.

I'll link this one to you tube it's so funny. Stupid dodge and their full time locked in front drive shafts, every 100k you should change your front driveshaft. This one went and took out everything. Fuel, shifter, wire harness, transfer case. This is also why I don't trust help, guy wanted a new pickup.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Up here its needed, some days you can't even get out of the driveway without it.

I choose to live on a relatively flat lot with a short driveway to a major county road that gets plowed close to a busy highway. It is a up-down-up to get to the plowed road so I can usually just barge my way out. Occasional shoveling won't kill me if it comes to that.

Otherwise it is a matter of preference, I have always thought I would like a 4wd but after all these years never quite got one so I have concluded it is just not necessary for me.

One thing that bugs me is the people with their SUVs and Subarus who don't think it is necessary to ever hire a plow on a private road, packs it into a bobsled track that cannot be negotiated by any real truck, chains, 4wd or anything. Tell them to call back when it melts, ice too packed to plow by then.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to knock on my wooden head about every other day as to all the way too heavy or too stupid sh!t I have done over time and gotten away with. That old ton dodge I had, put Five ton clean 2" on it every load, quarry operator would corner a bucket and had it down to a science as to hitting five ton. Worked fine until sold it, to a landscaper, they broke frame in half hauling three ton on it.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Where there is more parts there will be more maintenance. Two examples.

My f250 has locking hubs, I have a vac leak so I could fix it or just plug the line and go manual, which I did. Last year running down the road I got a huge vibration and ended up being the drive side locking hubs failed and locked it in causing the front driveshaft to turn, and the drive shaft went out on the truck. Now I check the drive shaft every oil change to see if it's free, and I'll lube up my locking hubs probably every other.

I'll link this one to you tube it's so funny. Stupid dodge and their full time locked in front drive shafts, every 100k you should change your front driveshaft. This one went and took out everything. Fuel, shifter, wire harness, transfer case. This is also why I don't trust help, guy wanted a new pickup.

Besides the Dodge wearing out axle u-joints and front track bars every few years I've never had any issues with increased maintenance on a 4wd pickup from the big 3. Only time things seem to wear out is if I put a suspension lift in.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
We have 150 yards of uphill on our driveway coming in. The pickup empty just chews it up in 2wd so I just slip it into 4wd at the road. Really cut back on driveway maintenance. Cam
I have 1/2 mile of private road. I had worked on it extensively & was proud how smooth it was. There is 1/10 mile of steep hill. Idiot/friend came up one day: "I spun all the way, but I made it in 2 wheel drive!"
I replied: "Thanks Dave."

skyking1

With friends like that, Willie :(

I saw a guy having a bad day, hauling a pickup on a trailer behind his pickup. He did the poor tie down job, had to stop fast and the load over ran the trailer and into the back of his truck. When I drove by the tow truck was having a heck of a time getting it separated. :doh:
We also saw a T-bone in NYC. A car ran the light and hit the car in front of us pretty solid, but they both could keep moving. The peach of a driver behind me honks his horn about the holdup.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
We too have friends. Suggested to our friend to unhook the weigh distribution hitch for his travel trailer (rsh)at the bottom of the hill. Rear wheels hardly had any weight on them at the bottom of the hill and he spun most of the way up. Cam

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Besides the Dodge wearing out axle u-joints and front track bars every few years I've never had any issues with increased maintenance on a 4wd pickup from the big 3. Only time things seem to wear out is if I put a suspension lift in.
I had a 2001 GMC 2500 van converted to 4 wheel drive, (Quigley). It was lifted, as they needed the space between oil pan & differential. It had Dana 44 front axle. I objected, 44 (in my opinion) wasn't heavy enough. They assured me it's rated 4500 LB, it'd be fine. I went through bearings, front brakes, universal joints & steering components endlessly!
My present van is Quigley converted also. It uses front parts from a GM heavy duty pickup. 133,000 miles, no front end failures except brakes & tires. Also, it's a truck I'm happy to drive long distance, much better road manners than the last one. The earlier one was like a mechanical bull!

Old Doug

Where's this extra maintenence with a 4wd? Over 200k on the clock and the front end on mine is still as tight as the day it left the factory. Up here its needed, some days you can't even get out of the driveway without it.
I was talking to a mechanic buddy he is as old as me. We started working on 4wd long before CV axles and IFS . Out of the blue he started talking about how much things had changed with 4wd.
You could buy a new 4wd and till it got 3 years or older no problem but after that it was used hard or the drive train started showing its age . The ujoints ether wore out or got water in them and need replaced . The yokes got weeds and grass rapped around them and the seals went out. If you had a 4wd it was locked in early in the fall and stayed that way till summer. Most guys had there front ends rebuilt at the end of the summer. Drive shaft splines would wear out and strip. If you wanted to save money hubs were unlocked religiously to save on parts wearing out.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
The problem with a 2wd diesel pickup is that the front end is so heavy the back wheels can’t get enough traction to move it. The dealership I used to work at had a 2wd ford diesel f250. If you parked nose in downhill on grass it could barely pull itself back out. Sometimes you had to rock it to get moving.
I run all 4wd on my work trucks and have been known to shift it to 4wd while rolling on the highway at 110 km with a trailer behind if it looks like it’s getting icy. I’ve had some guys say that’s hard on it. My answer is it’s a lot harder on it being upside down in the ditch cause the back end stepped out.

colson04

I've owned 4wd trucks since I got my license at 16. I've had both styles, CV shafts and locking hubs and all were high milage vehicles. Only one of my 5 trucks have I replaced any of the front axle drive components. That truck had over 200,000 miles when I changed the u joints. I also changed the driver side lock in hub as it set up from not getting turned over the summer. So, I dont see the expense side of owning a 4wd as being that big of a hindrance, especially with CV shaft style front ends.

Seriously, 75-80% of the year I could get by with a 2wd, but during the winter, I'd never make it up the hill to my house. Plus the odd time during tillage or harvest that I need to get in or out of a soft field. I use 4wd sporadically outside of winter.