• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would agree with that. I've never seen an outfit that would swing a bucket load of dirt toward the cab end of the truck. I also don't understand a trucker that would allow so much overload. Some of those trucks appeared to have side boards more that a foot high. I hate tothink of all the broken springs, broken suspension parts and tweaked truck frames on an operation like that. All I could figure is that the spoil was going down a highway somewhere and rock trucks couldn't be used.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
All I could figure is that the spoil was going down a highway somewhere and rock trucks couldn't be used.
No, it's just going from the excavator to a dump. It's simply the way they move dirt. The lignite coal is extracted by bucket-wheel excavator once the overburden is removed.
There are a lot of mines in Latin America using trucks such as that to move dirt. Labour is cheap, and you don't need the massive amount of road infrastructure required with a rock truck. Also if one goes down the overall effect on dirt-moving capacity is negligible. https://www.scania.com/uk/en/home/products/trucks/transport-operations/mining/in-pit-work.html

suladas

I'd be more worried about the hoe operator taking the cab off with the bucket then the overloading :eek:

I would bet being it's offroad in the end it's way more profitable to overload them like that. At even 20% extra per load you can just run the trucks to destruction and I wouldn't be surprised at the low speeds if it didn't even cause much for issues and won't burn much extra fuel.

Truck Shop

As one large dirt mover explained to me years ago, the average dump truck was a evil necessity.
I'm sure there are several opinions about that.

Old Doug

How so.?
Have you considered the possibility that it could be they’re doing it right and have been all along.?
I saw a truck smashed when a crane lost its load swinging it over the truck. There was nothing that made doing it that way the only way the operator was just in a hurry. No one got hurt other than the truck.

crane operator

I was peripherally involved in loading this mess. We were replacing some equipment at the feed mill, they came out of the load out with this bulk bag full of feed, I could see air under the back tires of the loader tractor when he came out.

So he set the bag on the truck scale, and couldn't pick it back up with the loader tractor. Amazingly, their smaller loader tractor wouldn't pick it up either.:rolleyes:

So I grabbed the 4 handles, and the one strap they already cut with the loader forks, ripped out. I gently set it back down on the scale, and asked "what's this going on?" The gray truck. The 1 ton single wheel gasser truck- flatbed with the bale bed. And they put it behind the axle, so they could unload it with a forklift - if they got it where it was going. It did make it to the unload - it had to be a miracle.

IMG_2789 (2).jpg IMG_2790.JPG IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2792.JPG