• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Even the well planned hot shot big boys have a fack up.

Knowing what I was going to see, the first thing I saw were all the tourist lookie loos out. I bet the insurance man had a cow when he saw that. I did notice that once they got it back on it's feet, no more tourists crowding around.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
In Texas, I pulled a 57’ van trailer with a tandem, non sleeper Pete. That 57’ was a real pain to drive in town or on tight and crowded roads. I would not want to pull this long thing anywhere except on some interstates, and I said “some”.

Truck Shop

To go with C.O.'s photo above--1989 hay truck caught fire on I-90 MP 101.5, owned by Van Derveen
Hay Co. Road was shut down till fire crews thought it was under control so DOT opened the west bound
lanes. In the mix of backed up traffic was a truck with a load of cross ties owned by V. Van Dyke.
Truck with cross ties drives by and a spark got in the load of ties, it catches fire about three miles up
the road. Both trucks and loads a total loss, we had the fun of cleaning up and towing away.
The next day the owners showed up--That's where my {ever seen copper wire being made comes from}.
{Two Dutchman fighting over a penny}.

hosspuller

To go with Crane op's pic... A story told to me. 35 years ago... Newly built Company facility donated two rolls of polystyrene foam to the Georgia fire school in Marietta GA. (close to Atlanta, GA) Co wanted the fire department to understand the unique fire properties of the stuff.

Fire school was to be relocated so the staff decides to burn the foam in situ instead of transporting to new location. The rolls were anywhere from 1000 to 2000 pounds. Depending on product. Big rolls about 6 foot tall 5 feet wide. It's an intermediate step for the production of foam tableware. (McDonald containers and such) Guess the staff thought ... We're the fire department, we have a pumper truck and charged lines... Let's burn both at the same time...What could go wrong?

So, they light the rolls. Easy to get started. Just a match will do. Okay... let it get fully involved. Uhh Ohh the smoke is getting dense, black, choking, sooty, and voluminous. Turn on the hose... Ahhh... the fire is out. But NO !!! Like a trick birthday candle, as soon as the hose is turned off, the rolls start to burn again. The plastic foam burns so hot, the plastic melts and flows down. What happens when cold water hits melting plastic ? The plastic immediately hardens. Forming an armored shield against any further water. Meanwhile, the built-up heat is held by the insulating value of the foam.

The smoke was so thick, nearby Dobbins Air Force base runway was closed for 20 minutes. :eek: With planes diverted or circling

I can vouch for the fire & mechanical properties of the stuff from personal career experience.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
To go with Crane op's pic... A story told to me. Newly built Company facility donated two rolls of polystyrene foam to the Georgia fire school in Marietta GA. (close to Atlanta, GA) Co wanted the fire department to understand the unique fire properties of the stuff.

Fire school was to be relocated so the staff decides to burn the foam in situ instead of transporting to new location. The rolls were anywhere from 1000 to 2000 pounds. Depending on product. Big rolls about 6 foot tall 5 feet wide. It's an intermediate step for the production of foam tableware. (McDonald containers and such) Guess the staff thought ... We're the fire department, we have a pumper truck and charged lines... Let's burn both at the same time...What could go wrong?

So, they light the rolls. Easy to get started. Just a match will do. Okay... let it get fully involved. Uhh Ohh the smoke is getting dense, black, choking, sooty, and voluminous. Turn on the hose... Ahhh... the fire is out. But NO !!! Like a trick birthday candle, as soon as the hose is turned off, the rolls start to burn again. The plastic foam burns so hot, the plastic melts and flows down. What happens when cold water hits melting plastic ? The plastic immediately hardens. Forming an armored shield against any further water. Meanwhile, the built-up heat is held by the insulating value of the foam.

The smoke was so thick, nearby Dobbins Air Force base runway was closed for 20 minutes. :eek: With planes diverted or circling

I can vouch for the fire & mechanical properties of the stuff from personal career experience.

They aren't the first fire department to do something like that. About a year ago, there was a news story about a fire department back east burning down their fire station in a similar operation.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Time the fire department arrives out here you best to just make a firebreak so the flames don't spread to other properties. Look on the bright side, you can now do that remodel job you always wanted to do starting from scratch now ;)

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I've been meaning to ask this question:
With the coming of driverless trucks, do you think the loads will get smaller ?
Trailers have gotten bigger & bigger over the years to maximize the driver.

Many loads are not single destination, but multiple.

With the driver cost (and sleep requirements) out of the picture, will
more trucks be single destination, and therefore going with smaller trailers ?

ianjoub

I would guess we will get both. There will be larger trucks to go to distribution centers, then there will be smaller vehicles to do more efficient deliveries to end users.

suladas

Our local fire department’s motto is-‘never lost a basement yet’ :rolleyes:

That's not bad!

In fairness, since TGI floor joists came out, once a house catches fire and does much of anything, it's a complete teardown anyway and not safe to go in. I tore one down last week that was still old 2x10 joists, all of them were still intact but it doesn't take much for it still not to be worth trying to fix, it was a remove everything but foundation and rebuild.

Truck Shop

Weight restrictions will still command the business. Those Walmart trucks are dry freight lower weight
but high cube. Produce will be the area that will still demand drivers. Frozen is heavy won't see any
changes there one pickup and drop most all goes to terminals.