• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

colson04

That's sad to see... A good vehicle done in... Had a minivan I drove until a brake seized up, electronic dash died, and the left rear panel bashed in. Hated to let it go ... engine was great, used no oil between changes, transmission rebuilt, air conditioner was cold... But on balance it was scrap. :( and left as such.

I've got a 2010 Fusion going that way too, which is a shame. At 262,000 miles, the engine purrs, trans shifts tight, brakes have always been excellent, and still gets the 26mpg it's always gotten (AWD model). Unfortunately, the uni-body has severe rust in the rear that went unnoticed until a service check where the hoist lift pad went up through the lift point. Paint looked great, but no metal underneath it anymore. I've been tempted to buy a clean body from down south somewhere, but then I'm still left with a high mileage engine, trans, drivetrain, etc. I'm not sure if I'll piece it out or scrap it at this point. The engine, and AWD trans are worth more than scrap, but they're still high mileage units and not as desirable.

Truck Shop

Even if a frame isn't doubled, the lower crossmember gussets used with Hendrickson
walking beam are long. The stress in that area combined with corrosion will cause
horizontal cracks. A friend just knocked his 1990 IH in the head because of the same
issues.

skyking1

I've got a 2010 Fusion going that way too, which is a shame. At 262,000 miles, the engine purrs, trans shifts tight, brakes have always been excellent, and still gets the 26mpg it's always gotten (AWD model). Unfortunately, the uni-body has severe rust in the rear that went unnoticed until a service check where the hoist lift pad went up through the lift point. Paint looked great, but no metal underneath it anymore. I've been tempted to buy a clean body from down south somewhere, but then I'm still left with a high mileage engine, trans, drivetrain, etc. I'm not sure if I'll piece it out or scrap it at this point. The engine, and AWD trans are worth more than scrap, but they're still high mileage units and not as desirable.
It makes a guy want to flip it over on its side, sand it up a little bit and then shoot it with a chop mat gun like you're building a boat in a mold. If that only worked!

colson04

Possibly more desirable to someone who needs a core to use for a rebuild rather than as a drop-in.?
Possibly the trans, but not the engine. Too many of these 3.0 V6's in wrecking yards across the country at this point. The AWD trans is probably well worth rebuild. I'll have to ask my wife's uncle, he runs a transmission shop.

suladas

No welds. The other side is cracked, as well. Severe rust jacking between the liner and frame. The lower frame flange is delaminating from corrosion.
View attachment 260315
This is interesting. A local shop installed a new muffler and pipe. The muffler is attached to the frame on this old Ford. Not far from the carnage. I would thought, someone would have noticed. Lol.

I was under the impression between the axles was ok as the suspension brackets spanned past there and had multiple shops say they wouldn't be concerned at all with it?

The first pictures look to be in front of the front drive which would be totally different obviously.

crane operator

Surely that can't be real?????
Well obviously it really happened, but it's got to be a set up.

Oh its real. You wouldn't believe the skill level of some of the drivers here. I don't know how many trucks I've backed in by standing by the front drivers wheel and "you just turn the wheel which direction I'm pointing".

I feel fortunate if they know enough english to understand the directions.

ianjoub

No pics, but saw this on the highway last night:

Nissan Titan with aftermarket oversized wheels, tires, and wheel spacers with a gooseneck dual tandem trailer that had a Tak TL12 and what looked to be about 2 pallets of concrete pavers. He had DOT #'s in mailbox stickers on the side windows though.

suladas

The part that pisses me off most about that is chances are he will have a new job the next day with the driver shortage, and he won't have to pay a penny for the damage he caused. In cases like that especially with video evidence, he should be on the hook for 100% of the damage when it's caused on purpose in such a stupid way. Should also lose his commercial license for a few years for it.