• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

suladas

Trailer with the brakes locked up, the friction surface is now between the tire and the road instead of the shoe and the drum, but energy is still getting dissipated and plenty of it. But cost per foot braked has increased substantially. Also nothing is telling the trailer that it needs to follow the truck any more, it can feel free to slide left or right since the wheels are no longer rollers, they are now sliders with no particular direction that they want to go.

For sure, lots of great points. Trailer kept perfectly straight. I've driven plenty times loaded without trailer and had to get on brakes decently, and I bet the trailer cut the stopping distance in half, when the car locked up their brakes my first thought was 100% i'm rear ending car in front of me no way am I stopping that fast. I was concerned about a flat spot on tires but no issues, brakes i'm not worried doesn't get used enough to ever wear them out, they only wear like 1/16" a year. The trailer brakes work great, even with the hoe on and being fully loaded they are capable of stopping way faster then i'd ever want, I think my concern would be the hoe moving because of how fast it'll stop.

skyking1

When I have the 120 on the trailer it is a braking beast. Empty? Just a smoke show. I am the most fond of the jake on that Cat when easyfooting the empty trailer around. I frequently have to get the trailer back to the yard to get it off crowded job sites.

terex herder

Yellow lights are always a crap shoot, even more so with the intersections set up with smart lights. The smart lights make the intersection totally unpredictable. The companies that install the red light cameras usually require the city to shorten the yellow time to well below the recommended time from AASHTO to increase revenue enough to make the intersection a high paying camera.

Tyler d4c

When it comes to lights I go by yellow-yellow yellow-red and red-red if the front of the vehicle is tough at yellow red I'm good red red not so much. Yeah I know young and dumb and in a hurry

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
All the more reason to not second guess and push the limits. So what it takes extra time, your not explaining
yourself to a lawyer.
Planning ahead is essential, but I do maintain traffic lights are timed for passenger cars. A loaded truck can't stop from highway speed if the driver waits for a yellow light to begin his stop. Gotta pay attention to how long the light has been green.
Even my 8600 LB van will slide its contents all over the place if I wait for a yellow when I'm almost to the intersection.

Truck Shop

I begged off for a few days on posting this, Tuesday is shop laundry day-ours didn't show up.
Happened in College Place another town on the edge of Walla Walla. 28 year old stole the
laundry truck then driving south in the north bound lanes collided head on with a Dodge pickup.
Killing the driver of the pickup plus the A$$HOLE who stole the laundry truck. ON highway 125.

12963c56-d748-4ef7-a6db-6c16632571ad-large16x9_collegeplacecrash (1).jpg

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
No welds. The other side is cracked, as well. Severe rust jacking between the liner and frame. The lower frame flange is delaminating from corrosion.
52958EC9-85FB-448C-A4DB-855505014761.jpeg
This is interesting. A local shop installed a new muffler and pipe. The muffler is attached to the frame on this old Ford. Not far from the carnage. I would thought, someone would have noticed. Lol.

hosspuller

That's sad to see... A good vehicle done in... Had a minivan I drove until a brake seized up, electronic dash died, and the left rear panel bashed in. Hated to let it go ... engine was great, used no oil between changes, transmission rebuilt, air conditioner was cold... But on balance it was scrap. :( and left as such.